Sponges constantly clogging on GFO Reactor

Annap729

Okay, i'm kind of over cleaning my sponges every couple weeks on the GFO. I want to use the mesh that works for the biopellets. Suggestions on stoping this? i'm currently running the BRS GFO and its the really fine stuff, slightly bigger than coffee grounds. The GFO isnt clogging, it's detritus.

Okay, i'm kind of over cleaning my sponges every couple weeks on the GFO. I want to use the mesh that works for the biopellets. Suggestions on stoping this? i'm currently running the BRS GFO and its the really fine stuff, slightly bigger than coffee grounds. The GFO isnt clogging, it's detritus.

http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/MESH-DISK

awesome-thanks Ryan! Which one is the mr5-3.5"?

I don't know if it's 3.5 or 4.5"...

You can also try putting a sponge/filter pad in front of your intake to the GFO reactor to help keep detritus out.

I have the same problem with my GFO as well. It gets clogged, then the bottom pad lifts to the top and it stops tumbling. Maybe I will switch out to the mesh as well and see how it works too.

If you can, try to put the feed pump in a part of the sump that has the cleanest water, just before it goes back to the tank. Raising the pump off the bottom also helps to get cleaner water.

Mine was doing that till I added a power head to my sump, keeps everything stirred up.

Mine was doing that till I added a power head to my sump, keeps everything stirred up.

not a bad idea either. i may try this too. it would keep the crap from settling for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I went ahead and tried the mesh ones myself, and the reactors still clog up. The flow from the bottom is not equal coming from all around the bottom either. The flow ends up going up 1 side of the reactor, so I have to shake the reactor to stir up the GFO or the carbon. I believe it's detritus as well.

As Coral Hind suggested, it's likely the location of the feed pump. I have a MJ1200 feeding the reactors, which sits on the bottom of my sump (where detritus loves to settle). I will try (next month when I change the media in both of my MR5s), to lift the pump off the bottom and see if that helps. A clogged up reactor isn't very useful!

• 9 months later...