Help! Power outtage disaster!!! Pics...

Guest Pandora

Guest Pandora
(edited)

What a disaster... #*@*! Pepco. I am honestly just at a total loss right now. We had a minor thunderstorm Friday night, and all the power went out. Peco @**!*!, our power company, took 3 freakin days just to get it back up (took 2 days for the residential homes to the left and right of us, just our narrow corrider of townhouses/condos are always the LAST to go up, and the first to go down, every time a squirrel sneezes we lose power... 5 times in the past 2 weeks alone). Every hour that passed by, I was fishing more dead fish & corals out of the reef tank.

I live in a condo, so I can't have a generator (even if I could afford one). I went to HD and bought a giant portable battery, the kind you start cars with, and that was working for a short while, but by then, the tank was just a dead, stinky foul mess (none of the circulation was working +30 hrs). All my fish are dead, with the possible exception of the damsel... fished out my beloved Sohal tang & maroon pair this afternoon. All the corals look like crap, I don't know if any of it can be saved, most of it dissolved. Dead shrimp & inverts laying around left and right.

Now the power *finally* came back on, but I think it's pretty much too late to save anything except maybe a snail or two, possibly some of the mushrooms. Everyone else around here just worries when the power goes off because of the spoiled food... for me, it's watching living things I've cared for and put lots of time and money into die before my eyes, and not being able to do a thing about it. It's about $2000 invested in livestock alone in this tank... not to mention that during Hurricane Isabelle, the last time I left the hobby... I lost about 3K worth of stuff, because it took them 6 days to get our power back up (now if that isn't incompetance, I don't know what is). I don't know whether to cry or be angry, though I try to keep things in perspective... but I know most of you understand that this hobby really is a labor of love. I just don't know if I have the heart to start over again right now.

I'm thinking of filing a claim with Pepco on Monday... anyone have any experience with this?

Edited by Pandora

Sorry to hear that, Pandora. :( That is really sick.

I truly feel for you.

I know of a person in Harrisonburg, VA who filed a claim against the power company. He did not get what he deserved but he did get a small amount for compensation. Worth a try.

If you start back up, come on by and I will donate some stuff to you.

Guest Pandora
(edited)
Sorry to hear that, Pandora. :( That is really sick.

I truly feel for you.

I know of a person in Harrisonburg, VA who filed a claim against the power company. He did not get what he deserved but he did get a small amount for compensation. Worth a try.

If you start back up, come on by and I will donate some stuff to you.

35287[/snapback]

Thanks Chideloh... you guys have all been really nice. It's good to know that someone else got something, because I didn't really have hopes for more than 0.... I don't expect big energy to be sympathetic to me, if they are willing to write off people with major business losses, and not give a darn about the elderly that needed medical equipment during this time. I am SOO pissed at Pepco nonetheless, for their endless empty promises after Isabelle.

I am still determined to start up again at least in part. I'm going to do some big water changes and see what's left, and keep the pumps running. The fishy smell is going down now, I shudder to think what the ammonia level must be in the tank right now. Amazingly, it looks like some stuff, like frogspawn & torch have survived... but all the fish except the damsel, and all the crustaceans/echinoderms are dead for sure.

I'm still probably going to go to the end of the month party and give my WAMAS dues then. If anyone can help out with a frag donation or two (or help with restocking the refugiums, i.e. pods & mysids), I'd totally appreciate it, by then I'll get the tank water in good condition again. Just right now I want to crawl in a corner and cry.

Edited by Pandora

Pandora,

Sorry to hear about the loss... THe Sohal looked like a gorgeous fish.

Come by when you can and I'll replace what I sold you before (this time for free).

Dave

Pandora- I am also very sorry to hear this. I was going to suggest posting sooner as we or someone could have come over and taking some stuff but DUH no power to access the net. Sorry for your losses.

Don't give up, it a wonderful hobby!

I will be more than happy to help restock your tank when it is up and running safely.

Verry sorry to hear of your loss. Sadly, many of us know your pain.

FWIW, consider getting a power inverter for next time. About $30 as opposed to $500 for a generator. I got mine at Costco.

They can be hooked into a car battery, and turn DC (battery power) into AC (like in the house) with a long enough extention cord, your car becomes your generator. When the power goes out, it may not drive your lighting, but it will be plenty to keep return pumps, PHs and skimmer going.

Another cheap help, especally for small tanks is a battery powered air pump. Get the one that can be plugged into an outlet, it will kick on when the power is cut. Two D batteries can run the thing for days.

Sorry to hear of your loss. That is a horrible feeling watching your little friends die.

I went out and bought a generator after I setup my display tank. But before I had the generator I had a 12 gallon nano cube and the power went out, looked around the house for something to move the water around, ended up using the boys little $2 battery operated speed boat. Taped it to the hood and moved the water around great. Looked funny as heck but kept my first 2 fish alive for 8 hours till the power came on(I'm sure they would have lived without it but wasn't sure when the power would come back on). Now I have those battery backup airpumps that come on when the power goes out, then I get the generator running.

Again I know the feeling of losing something that is living and that you have worked hard on, but don't give up, it can be rewarding again.

Take care

Doug

703-395-5190 my cell

Write some of these numbers down and don't be afraid to call for help. These are times we NEED this community!! Heck, I was even up there this weekend. Don't be afraid to use the resources of this club, its what we are here for.

Sounds like a lecture, but not trying to be. I will be glad to help get you started again with some stuff. Let me know what you are looking for.

Chin up

For all - We have a resources forum under "Welcome to WAMAS > Supply Lines". Write this info down before the situation arises. And it you have something of need, in times of need, please post up. Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your loss! :( Put me down on the list for some stuff to give to you when you get your water params back to par. I just got my MH's so I don't really have any sps, but I have zoos, green star polyps, and xenia that you are welcome to!

when you get rolling feel free to do some duty free shopping in my tank.

I have a couple of the battery operated air stones,

but this has renewed my desire to get out an pick up an inverter.

Sorry about your loss...it really sucks. I'll be happy to donate frags as well as a big finger leather and lots of xenia. Keep track of peoples' names and numbers who are offereing to help get you restarted, and take them up on thier offers!

Happy reefing,

Jon

I am sorry for your loss and feel for you when I read your post. It is such a pain to let those pets pass away.

Please check your PM for my list of fishes, inverts, and frags to support you.

Best wishes,

--Tom

Just an add on to your misery, late I know.

When the hurricane came through Vienna a few years ago and I was out of power for 3 days, I kept EVERYTHING alive by just taking a bucket of water and pouring it back into the tank every few hours and a 5g water change once a day. It kept my then, 30g tank going and I loss nothing. By the 3rd day, things where looking at their bleakest, when the power finally came back on. A quick water change and everything was back to normal the next day.

Howard

Guest Pandora
Just an add on to your misery, late I know.

When the hurricane came through Vienna a few years ago and I was out of power for 3 days, I kept EVERYTHING alive by just taking a bucket of water and pouring it back into the tank every few hours and a 5g water change once a day. It kept my then, 30g tank going and I loss nothing. By the 3rd day, things where looking at their bleakest, when the power finally came back on. A quick water change and everything was back to normal the next day.

Howard

35395[/snapback]

Man, hindsight is 20/20. Honestly it happened almost so fast I hardly thought of doing some of these things... I had a battery powered pump, but hadn't tested it in a while, and realized that it broke in the middle of the night. It was also too late to go to the pet store, but thinking that the stuff would hold out for another day, because Pepco was giving promises power would be up by Sunday. By the time the death started happening, it was almost a cascade that happened so fast I didn't have much time to think of anything else except the car battery thing, which only worked for a few hours before it was overloaded. Wish I'd thought of some of those other ideas, but I didn't have access to the internet during the blackout either. :( I still kind of torment myself over "what ifs" but I guess you have to move on. Looks like a coral or two survived... but it does amaze me how delicate the environment can be... where everything was just thriving a short time ago...

Me, I just hate watching living things I love suffer... but well... I'm going to stop thinking about it now, it's just going to drive me nuts.

Wanted to thank you guys here for your kind notes!!! I'm gonna take down numbers if God forbid this should happen again. I'm still determined to keep up with this and am going to the WAMAS social at the end of the month. I'm not looking for a handout, thank you for them... but I'm fine with buying stuff, just slowly. Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions & offers!

Guest mightymouse

i cant offer much but i can give you a stalk or two of xenia a frag of an encrusting gorgonian and some yellow polyps if you want them jus pm me and ill send u my phone # and well set something up but you will hafta bring something to frag the encrusting gorgonian and xenia and something to break off part of the rock of yellow polyps

I'm not looking for a handout, thank you for them... but I'm fine with buying stuff, just slowly. Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions & offers!

Ok if you insist on buying, $.01 for sarcophyton and capnella frags, $.02 for monti cap and digitata frags. $.03 for the rest.

You took your medicine, and had your heartache. Don't be a martyr and let us help you out. Christ, you are like my father and I fighting over a restaurant bill. I hope to get the same if this happens to me. My last disaster I lost everything but the inhabitants in the tank (furnace, rugs, drywall). I WISH I had the luxury of having a supportive club behind me. Free furnace frags are hard to come by.

Unless, ...

......what are you saying my stuff ain't good enough? Now I'm just plain heartbroken.

:D :D :D

• 3 weeks later...