edit old posts

tightline

ok I would like to edit old post i have done with picks to free up some room for more ..sometimes i have an edit option and some times i dont how can i get the edit option to open?

You're only permitted to edit in the first 30 minutes of posting.

This is automatically over ridden if you are selling, running a group buy, and a few other cases I can't

think of before the coffee is finished.

This was instituted to prevent people from flying off the handle and posting a bunch of crap, then changing it later

when cooler heads prevailed.

Oddly, IT WORKS GREAT at accomplishing this and there will be no plans to change it, nor should there be.

Plus we like looking at your old picks of your set up and regularly share them with others at cocktail parties.

Now you know why you're ears burn some nights with no apparent reason.

To add on to Flowerseller's post, only the opening post of a for sale thread or group buy can be edited after the 30 minute time frame.

If you really need to change something you can shot me a PM and I can try to do it for you. It may be easier to just start a new post or thread.

Tightline, to get to the heart of your connundrum, I'm guessing that you're running out of space to post pictures because you're embedding (attaching) them directly to your post. The problem is that there is very little space allocated to user accounts for picture storage. There are two ways to get around this:

First, you can create a WAMAS gallery and post pictures there. You then link to the pictures there using the "Insert Picture from My Gallery" tool. This works for some unknown percentage of users. (It works for me, but not for others it seems.)

Second, you can create an account at a service like PhotoBucket, upload your pictures there, and link to them in your post using the image {IMG} code that is available there. This approach seems to work for everybody and I've used it successfully. Of course, when you delete the post from Photobucket, the link goes dead here and the image is no longer displayed.

Oh, and one more thing:

To delete old attachments, you don't have to edit your old posts. Click on the downward-pointing triangle in the ribbon next to your screen name toward the top left of the page. This brings up a drop-down menu. Select "My Settings" and, from the left of the screen, pick the "Manage Attachments" tab. You should now be able to see all of the attachments to your post. Select whatever attachments you want to delete by clicking on the box to the right of each attachment. Now scroll toward the bottom of the page and click on "Delete Selected" and the job will be done, freeing up attachment space.

I was just laughing at those pics over a beer last night. ;)

You're only permitted to edit in the first 30 minutes of posting.

This is automatically over ridden if you are selling, running a group buy, and a few other cases I can't

think of before the coffee is finished.

This was instituted to prevent people from flying off the handle and posting a bunch of crap, then changing it later

when cooler heads prevailed.

Oddly, IT WORKS GREAT at accomplishing this and there will be no plans to change it, nor should there be.

Plus we like looking at your old picks of your set up and regularly share them with others at cocktail parties.

Now you know why you're ears burn some nights with no apparent reason.

LOl ok got the reasons and understand but the way i understand it you are only allowed so many bites of pic space just wanted to erase OLD SOLD and diff picks so i could post more thanks

LOl ok got the reasons and understand but the way i understand it you are only allowed so many bites of pic space just wanted to erase OLD SOLD and diff picks so i could post more thanks

See my post above for how to erase these old pictures. Let me know if that doesn't work for you and I'll see if I can do something from my end.

I'm not sure I understand the issue here. The storage space limit is for pictures in your gallery. The pictures in your posts are actually just links to your gallery or to an external server such as PhotoBucket. Deleting the links from your posts will only save a few bytes of space.

I'm not sure I understand the issue here. The storage space limit is for pictures in your gallery. The pictures in your posts are actually just links to your gallery or to an external server such as PhotoBucket. Deleting the links from your posts will only save a few bytes of space.

Bob, some people actually attach pictures to their posts. Yes, you can do that, but a parameter in the forum settings limits the amount of space that people can use for attachments(it's the global upload setting and it's currently set to 5.86 MB, or 6000 KB). Some of us use links to our gallery and others use photobucket links, but a few (mostly newcomers) bump up against this limit from time to time when they insert images rather than references (links) to images.

This is a snapshot of that parameter setting for the membership:

gallery_2631296_685_10121.jpg

Ah... I think that setting was disabled when I started my extended hiatus from the forums a while back. Now it makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!