I turned my kitchen to a disk making shop ;-)

Valeria

I was low on disks and plugs, and I used this past weekend to make some reef disks.

End result:

DSC02062.jpg

I made my first batch 5 years ago and have been making my own disks ever since, I make one batch a year. Hoping to list more details later this week.

do you think this could be used to make rock?

Next week I will post how to build rock structures, I'm just low in time.

I would not use this in exchange of live rock.

would it not be the same as using base rock? or what?

IMO, the problem with using this as base rock would be the missing 'nooks and crannies' where the beneficial bacteria would grow.

would it not be the same as using base rock? or what?

It would not be as good as rock in my opinion. In the past i put live rock pieces together to make it look like one big exotic structure (bonsai, caves etc), I posted a thread a while back but will post again.

IMO, the problem with using this as base rock would be the missing 'nooks and crannies' where the beneficial bacteria would grow.

If you keep the mix on the dry side and use larger crushed coral you can still get some good "nooks and crannies" The mix Valarie is using looks fine, probably more sand then crushed coral.

I'm geeting short on plugs too. I guess it's time to make some more myself.

Didn't you have larger structures that were covered in zoanthids or mushrooms in one of your tanks? I seem to recall how surprised I was to find out that you made them. They looked like nature made ocean rocks.

If you keep the mix on the dry side and use larger crushed coral you can still get some good "nooks and crannies" The mix Valarie is using looks fine, probably more sand then crushed coral.

what cement mix did you use, is it just portland cement or? wannt give the frag plugs a try just never remembered to actually do it...would love to see what you used, the ones on top look store bought...

Dave,

I have some disk reserved for you if you want to try these

sweet, your discs and domes look perfect! how did you make the molds for them? I want to do something just like this; I'm sure a lot of other members would love to see a DIY frag plugs and discs tutorial.

Any chance you can show us how you made them so others in the club can enjoy making them for their reef tanks?

I spoke to a couple members about getting together to do a frag disc build, I don't know if anyone remembers when we got together at Scotts house to make fish food- something link that.

Did not take pictures to explain the process; its less science more art as the saying goes.

Here is a video from a past fragfest with Almon in the star role.

I use a mixture of 4 parts crushed coral/sand and 1 part portland. Follow the directions at GARF.org.

After about a day or two you can place them in a bucket or tub with water to cure. Then change the water out weekly for a month. Putting vinegar in the water helps to speed it up to about two weeks. If the pH of the water doesn't change any more then they are cured. The last batch I did of my larger ones I stacked them up in the basement toilet's tank so that they would cure there and the flushing changed out the water. I would suggest anyone interested to go to GARF.org and watch the videos there.