tpallas' 33g SPS Dropoff Nano

tpallas

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth, I'd say put another rock under the big rock on the left coming down the dropoff.  If you have access under the stand you could magnet hold it on or if you could find a flattish piece that is a bit larger on the bottom than the top you could possibly put it right on the bottom of the cliff and have a horizontal surface on the top to mount a couple corals.  You'd also have the vertical surface left for maybe a couple nice plating montiporas like red hot chili pepper which doesn't grow as fast as purple rim in my experience or even a montipora stellata that is my favorite thing copps sells regularly.  The stellata plates out and then has cool pointy upward ridges.

• 2 weeks later...

Moved the platinum clown out on account of him being a bunghole and added these 2

1c37314defe9aec39921e92a96bdc27d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what it's worth, I'd say put another rock under the big rock on the left coming down the dropoff. If you have access under the stand you could magnet hold it on or if you could find a flattish piece that is a bit larger on the bottom than the top you could possibly put it right on the bottom of the cliff and have a horizontal surface on the top to mount a couple corals. You'd also have the vertical surface left for maybe a couple nice plating montiporas like red hot chili pepper which doesn't grow as fast as purple rim in my experience or even a montipora stellata that is my favorite thing copps sells regularly. The stellata plates out and then has cool pointy upward ridges.

Thanks Alan, I had a similar thought. I just feel like the rock that is there now is too big? Like Isaac says it would look weird with nothing there but I might toy with a smaller rock. Girlfriend is itching for me to get an efflo so that might be a place for it too.

Other random pics

b9a450afa131682635c299415700cdd9.jpg

7ef5d9770fd327c740d2db86e19e7e37.jpg

Installed this guy this weekend. Makes life a lot easier

6fd783a48974ff1e5568b08349df11a8.jpg

Excellent update. I can see the acros looking better with the light already!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is such a cool tank! Nice work!!

Thanks! I've had a lot of fun with this tank. Been through some ups and downs but things have finally stabilized.

Lot of nice pieces in there! Looks like you do finally have a handle on the tank! Looking forward to seeing how this looks like a year or two!

Lot of nice pieces in there! Looks like you do finally have a handle on the tank! Looking forward to seeing how this looks like a year or two!

Dude, it's been some serious buttpain, considering I'm nearing the 2 year mark for this tank. I think the dry rock was leaching phosphates for the first year or so, and my countermeasures continually starved the corals. At one point earlier this year, my green slimer was almost totally white. It was really frustrating and I lost a lot of motivation and thus effort. But I moved to a bigger apartment in August, and Adam and I did a pretty big water change/cleaning and things just took off after that. I also got the PAR meter and realized my ATI hybrid was putting out like 250 - on the top shelf! That was with 4xT5 at 100% and the LEDs at 40%. Since then I've ramped up the lights to 100% and the corals have reacted very well. Polyp extension is great and some of the older SPS that went through 2 or 3 major shocks are recovering very well. New frags from MACNA encrusting, have 2 clams that are happy (as clams). As far as growth I'm starting to see the slimer take off and the purple digitata, some encrusting on others, but hope that the others will start growing out well. All in all the tank looks as good as it ever has and seeing the success motivates me to work on it more, leading to more success.

I guess my next project is to get the calcium reactor up and running. I've been dosing 2 part but want the reactor to take over and dose others on the dosing pump unit.

I've pretty much run out of space, but Adam and I did talk about adding more to the back wall. I think that would be the best way to free up some space. The upper, open portion of the tank, I intend to be filled by the stags as they branch out, but would like some more montis further down.

IMO your tank is too small for montis, and they will quickly grow out and shade over what little real estate you have available. I would scrap the idea of adding anything else and letting what you have grow out, maybe take some time to work out the calcium reactor. Unless the quick growing and shadowing is what you're looking for!

That looks like a good spot for those millies. It will be cool to see how those grow out there.

So it started as one maricultured colony - I noticed there was a baby gorilla crab in it and I accidentally broke it into 4 pieces trying to get it. So I epoxied them up there and hopefully it will look like a colony again when it encrusts and grows a bit.

IMO your tank is too small for montis, and they will quickly grow out and shade over what little real estate you have available. I would scrap the idea of adding anything else and letting what you have grow out, maybe take some time to work out the calcium reactor. Unless the quick growing and shadowing is what you're looking for!

Yeah. I do have some purple digitata down below. I'm starting a new project soon so will prob just focus on the reactor as you suggest.

• 2 weeks later...

That's some coffee skimmate