Best Dwarf Angel for a Reef Tank?

Ryan S

Best Dwarf Angel for a Reef Tank?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Best Dwarf Angel for a Reef Tank?

• Coral Beauty
    • Flame
    • Other

idk if there is any reef angel that will saty reef safe forever...even if they start out ok.

but flame angels and coral beautys are better than others...

my flame has not bothered any lps and zoas...i have seen him look around the sps..though..so far nothing bad...but i have "an eye on him"

I have a flame angel for almost a yr now and so far has not touch any of my corals (LPS, SPS) nor my clams. l love to have the potter angel too, but heard that it is more likely snip on corals.

I had a flame that was good for a while, then it started eating blue clove polyps, no big deal, but then moved on to ORA green birdsnest.

I have a coral beauty now. I had a potters in the past and had to tear down the tank to get him out after he decimated a bunch of corals. All Dwarf angels have a possibility of being nippers so it is a big risk. You just have to ask is it worth the fun of catching one if he is a nipper.

Theyre all prone to nip, some people do get lucky. But you will always run the risk. I had problems with a flame angel and SPS. If I were buying one I would get an african flameback or one of the other more rare species. If your gonna run the risk you should atleast make it worth your while.

I have a coral beauty pair, and I've been wondering about how I introduced them to my reef tank and if it could work again.

I had them in my 90 with no corals for 6ish months and feeding them well. I just put them in my 75 where all my nice mixed corals are and they are still only eager for food.

I'm looking forward to trying it with other dwarf angels, though I probably just got lucky with these two.

I have had about 1 out of 3 dwarf angelfish that have been model tankmates, never nipping on anything. It is really hit or miss, just plane luck on if yours will nip or not. If you have a tank big enough I would skip the dwarfs and go for the smaller large types that are known to be reef safe. Like G. watanabei which I rarely see get to 5" in the home aquarium. Some others are G. melanospilos, G. lamarck, and G. bellus.

If I am keeping a reef tank I will never have another Angel again. On my 75G a few years ago I had a Flame Angel who devored colonies of amazing Zoas I had. Never again....