Cyanobacteria in my tank again. HELP PLEASE!

Maria-Elena

I have a 29 gal nano cube. The cyanobacteria came back to my tank and I don't know what to do. I could't get rid of it so I used

Ultralife Red Slime Remover 1 month ago and it was a lot better, but it came back. Now I am using

rowaphos, ceramic rings, and a sponge in my filter. My parameters are good, except for my phosphates (0.25). The glass is yellow and I cannot clean it, it keeps coming back, please HELP. I don't want to use chemicals again, but don't know what else to do. I am only turning on my lights 5 hours per day. After I used the product, my skimmer stopped working, so I don't have a skimmer. Do I need to buy another one? Do I need a phosban reactor (as I said rowaphos is in the filter right now). I have 10 kind of corals and 5 fish.

I have this kind of light:

• 105 Watt Compact Fluorescent Quad Lamp
  • Kelvin: 10K Daylight/ 7100K Actinic
  • Nite-Vu LED - (4) blue moonlights

Please I need some guidance.

Thank you very much.

I can only commiserate with you regarding this.... I had a terrible cyno problem, but as most of the advanced folks on here told me, it will go away... I opted to not use chemicals, as I was worried it would just put off the inevitable...

I wonder, with the fact that you don't have a skimmer, and possibly the chemicals only halted the cyno, but didn't eradicate it and now it's back again??

I went through the most terrible case of cyno where I was brushing and skimming off that darn stuff daily, and then when I thought I had that under control, the black/brown dust like algae started all over the sand on the bottom..... but it's all gone now............. Everyone on the wamas site told me to be patient, and wow..... they were right :)

good luck....

When i have an outbreak i usually keep my lights off for 3-4 days. I cover the tank so no light enters the tank. I also perform a large water change and add some fresh gfo and carbon before and after. If no algae appear within the next couple of days of light being on i am usually good until i start skipping water changes or stop changing the media.

do you use ro/di water when you do water changes? i used to have phosphate problems in my old tank because of tap water. water flow can make a big difference too.

Yes, I have a SpectraPure CHP 2-stage 15gpd RO filter (perhaps I have to check if the cartridge is fine). I also want to buy a phosban reactor to eliminate phosphates.

Thanks.

Yes, I have a SpectraPure CHP 2-stage 15gpd RO filter (perhaps I have to check if the cartridge is fine). I also want to buy a phosban reactor to eliminate phosphates.

Thanks.

I had some trouble with cyano that just wouldn't go away no matter what I did over the better part of a year. I gave chemiclean a try and it worked like a champ. I think what happened in my tank was that for some reason the cyano bacteria took over a huge part of the ecological niche and no other bacteria had a chance to grow.

I don't recommend chemicals, but I figured I was at the point where I really had to do something, and chemi clean worked for me. I took the top off the skimmer to aerate the water.

• 7 months later...

I had a huge outbreak after the tank crashed because of the snowstorms last season. I used Microbe-Lift Special Blend and shortened my photo period to 6 hours and had the Cyano licked in a couple of weeks.