Sharkey18's 250 build

Sharkey18

Need some advice on flow.

This is going to be a bare bottom SPS dominated tank so I want excellent flow both to keep all detritus suspended and moving OUT and also excellent flow for the corals.

I just purchased 2 two MP40's which I am planning on putting on one side. One high and one low. I was planning on having 2 other MP40's on the other side in anti-sync.

Does this sound like a good plan? Oh yeah tank is 65 long x 36 deep x 28 (?). Can't remember exact height.

Another option is to put a single MP60 on one side in anti-sync with the 2 MP40's. I like the idea of the MP40's a bit better because it offers increased redundancy for flow and also more options for positioning to make sure all areas of the tank are getting adequate flow to prevent detritus settling.

Looking for opinions.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a pair of Tunze 6095's on the back wall aimed downwards (to help keep detritus from settling) with MP40's on the sides?

I think the 6095 would be good for a 3'x3' sq, especially with the MP40's in there blasting away.

The 6095's are around $260/ea and if you get two you can run a 7092 ($78) controller or hook them to a controller like apex.

Can't wait to see this tank progress.

If it was my tank, I would go with 4 MP40s or 2 MP60s. I think the 4 MP40s would give excellent random flow throughout the entire tank (2 on the back wall, and 2 opposing each other on the sides). You'll likely run them at 100% intensity since you have a BB. The MP60s are better for tanks that are longer like yours, and you'd run them on opposite ends of the tank. I think I'd prefer the 4 MP40s. Get some radions and they can all communicate with each other wirelessly and use the same ecotech battery in case of a power outage!

Oh yeah, I've already got three radions ready to go!

I have a really big test this weekend, which I why I can't be a frag fest, but the tank has been cycling for 9 weeks so on Monday things are going to get started!

Oh yeah, I've already got three radions ready to go!

Terrific! Make sure you order the TIR lenses as well, if you haven't already. WELL worth the $30 cost. The PAR increase is substantial. (Vince at Quantum Reefs carries them locally as well).

Laura

Since your going bare bottom I would run at least 2 of your MP40's on the back wall. It will clean in up a little and if your background is black it will blend into it really well. You could run two high and two low. I tried doing it on my 100 cad lights but it wreaked havoc on my sandbed. Since your not using one, it would work great.

The ES models of the vortech have a "nutrient transport" mode (I've never used it) that is supposed to create an under current that sweeps debris up from the bottom and keep it suspended above as well. Sounds like it would perfectly for you.

Awesome, thanks so much! Exactly the insight I was looking for.

You guys rock. Thanks for following my thread and offering such great help.

I am getting ready to start moving my coral and fish over the new tank.

Before that happens the lights need to be installed, and David (Coral Hind) is going to try and come by on Thursday to help with that. Thanks David!!

Those of you with radions: how high off the water did you hand them? Did you use any special hardware to hang them from the ceiling?

Christmas in August!

IMG_1822.jpg

I also need some suggestions on rock work.

I like the rock work I have now. I am trying to tank advantage of the depth of the tank. Between the two group of rock on the left there is a nice channel.

However I am concerned that with the current configuration there is not enough rock for the fish to hide / sleep in. I could add rock behind the current set up since there is still about 6 inches to the back of the tank, or I could build up the far right side. Currently there is 100 lbs. of marco rock in there and I ordered another 50 lbs.

This is what I have to work with. Suggestions?

Current rockscape:

IMG_1563.jpg

50 lbs. New rock

IMG_1825.jpg

Rocks look awesome. Radions should be 8" from the surface of the water.

You can connect all of the radions with the ecotech rail kit. Then make some sort of a pulley with stuff from home depot, so you can press a button, or turn a crank, to move the entire light setup up or down if you want to get into the tank. Does that make sense? I don't know how to do that. Home depot has some things you can screw into the ceiling with wire that could connect to the radions if they are all connected with the ecotech rail kit? And that can pull them up and down I think?

Edited by Ryan S

really nice looking rock. i vote for building up the right side.

I also need some suggestions on rock work.

I like the rock work I have now. I am trying to tank advantage of the depth of the tank. Between the two group of rock on the left there is a nice channel.

However I am concerned that with the current configuration there is not enough rock for the fish to hide / sleep in. I could add rock behind the current set up since there is still about 6 inches to the back of the tank, or I could build up the far right side. Currently there is 100 lbs. of marco rock in there and I ordered another 50 lbs.

This is what I have to work with. Suggestions?

Current rockscape:

IMG_1563.jpg

50 lbs. New rock

IMG_1825.jpg

I honestly love the look of the scape you have in the tank right now....the way the height of the rock tapers off to the right side is pretty nice. Going to be a great looking tank for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally something to report!

My house repairs should be finished in about 10 days! Ill be back in the house by the 30th. Basically as soon as the bed is moved in I am going to work on the tank!

Tank has been running this entire time (12 weeks). I have been adding food to keep the cycle going. Other than that I haven't been doing much more than topping off evap. There is a small hang-on MH light on a few hours a day. The carpet nem that I dropped in back on June 29th ( the day the tree fell on the house) is still alive and doing quite well.

First thing will be to siphon out all of the old coralline algae flakes that came off the glass. After that a water change and some testing. I haven't tested a single parameter in months.

Then finish installing all the equipment. I still need to hang the lights, set up the MP40's, set up the UV etc. Below is my current equipment list. Anything obvious missing?

Apex aquacontroller

3 Ecotech radions

3 MP40's

2 sea swirls

1 ASM G4 skimmer

40w Aqua UV sterilizer

2 Eheim jager 300w heaters

I am going to start by dosing 2 part and investigate dosing pumps as my need rises.

Also not sure about running GFO / carbon/ or anything else. I have plenty of reactors, just not sure what I want to run yet. Trying to keep things as simple as possible.

• 1 month later...

PROGRESS!

Today I moved back into my house. The place is a wreck but at least i'm home.

Over the last two days I have been getting the tank ready for some LIVE inhabitants. The radions are hung, the MP40's are in. Did a 50g water change.

Tank has been cycling for, well, I don't know how long. About 20 weeks. (that's how long I was out of the house).

Brought over the contents of the QT tank. All have been healthy for over 4 weeks. The two Bangaiis went into a 20g. Unfortunately I didn't know that they were holding eggs and the male let them all go. They are newly mature and that was their first clutch. The good news is that they are breeding! Hopefully not too long before another clutch.

The Kole tang also went into the same 20. He was in the 29g QT with a larger Caribbean blue tang and once they started feeling better (velvet) the blue started kicking the kole's butt. So he will stay in the 20 to fatten him up and heal some of his nipped fins and body scratches.

The Blue tang went into the 250! WOO HOO I have a fish! It is so awesome.

I will be bringing over the rest of the fish tomorrow.

2 Oscellaris clowns

1 Large Hippo Tang

1 Large Yellow tang

1 small Tomini tang

1 Algae Blenny

1 Lyretail Anthias

and

1 adult Bangaii that will go into one of the other 20's.

Sunday will be coral day, although I really don't have much.

Time to go shopping!

Pics tomorrow.

Finally!

Had trouble getting the third radion set up, but was on the phone with tech support and now they are all working!

Left side looks brighter because there is no algae on the rock.

Corals are in a holding tank and I hope to add a bunch tomorrow.

Fish are in!

Still need to fix appearance of returns (obviously), but it is coming along.

Unfortunately Nitrates are at 20 and phosphates at .25. Large water change happening tomorrow.

IMG_1980.jpg