Who sells Calcium Chloride Flakes and Magnesium Flakes locally?

Mando77

Showing my ignorance with 2 part dosing- why do you use a 3 channel doser for 2 part? Or are we talking about doing Mg too?

I have heard that using a Ca Rx is a little better because, by dissolving dead corals, you are also adding inStrontium and whatever other trace elements are needed to build skeleton.

You could get a 2 channel doser and dose the Magnesium by hand since the addition of it is so low compared to the Calc and ALK. I dose like 160ml of Mg in my tank a week to keep my levels at 1300ppm and I've got close to 250g of volume of water.

A calcium reactor does add other thing that are in the media to the tank, not sure what all is in there, but I still manually dose Mg, my dosage hasn't changed since I hooked up my CaRx, and my levels haven't gone up, so either my tanks using alot more Mg or there isn't much in ARM media.

I've never really sat down and figured the cost of 2 part dosing but once I saw the RHF directions on DIY 2 part it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out it's cheaper to buy the stuff yourself than to use BRS, Buckeye Field Supply, ESV, Kent, or Brightwell stuff. I got a bag of mag flake for $18, filled a 5 gal bucket and still have some to use on the sidewalk if it ever snows, probably have enough mag flake for years.

Edited by Big Country

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harvey Salt in Baltimore for Dead Sea Works MagFlake.

Preston Driveway Heat is anhydrous Calcium Chloride. Optimally, it's anhydrous - that is, without water in loose association with the calcium chloride. Most of the 6-8% that remains is Calcium Chloride dihydrate, CaCL2*2H2O. A minor amount is in the form of impurities, though. Be aware, though, that this low level of impurities is not guaranteed. After all, this is ice melt, not pharmaceutical grade Calcium Chloride.

Converting baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to soda ash (sodium carbonate) by baking it is cheap, but probably unnecessary if you leave the solution exposed to air for long. After all, the baking only drives off the carbon dioxide in the bicarbonate. Ultimately, if exposed to air, the alk solution will equalize with atmospheric CO2. If kept in a sealed container, you can control this equalization. The difference between the two solutions is that a soda ash-based alkalinity supplement will have a tendency to raise your pH when first added (because it will "consume" CO2 as much of it converts to bicarbonate), while the baking soda-based supplement may temporarily depress pH as it releases some CO2 (as it achieves carbonate species equilibrium). In both cases, though, your pH winds up in the same place as the aqueous CO2 balances with atmospheric CO2.

Never used this or made my own formulas but Sam's Club sells a brand called Excel by Scottwood Industries. It's marketed as Excel Snow & Ice Melt pure calcium chloride. You can find it here: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=168352#desc and I believe the spec sheet for it is here: http://www.scotwoodindustries.com/uploads/56/original/Excel_MSDS.pdf?1281365067

From the MSDS:

Typical

Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) % 94 MIN 94.0

Alkali Chlorides (as NaCl) % 5 MAX 4.0

Magnesium (as MgCl2) % 0.02 MAX 0.01

Other impurities (except moisture) % 0.20 MAX

Not sure how this measures up against other ones but the 50 lb bucket is pretty cheap...

Never used this or made my own formulas but Sam's Club sells a brand called Excel by Scottwood Industries. It's marketed as Excel Snow & Ice Melt pure calcium chloride. You can find it here: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=168352#desc and I believe the spec sheet for it is here: http://www.scotwoodindustries.com/uploads/56/original/Excel_MSDS.pdf?1281365067

From the MSDS:

Typical

Not sure how this measures up against other ones but the 50 lb bucket is pretty cheap...

Sounds like a good substitute, might want to send that link and info to RHF and see what he says.

Harvey Salt in Baltimore for Dead Sea Works MagFlake

The Anne Arundel Co-Op, which is also a Southern States, right around the corner from House of Tropicals has a good supply of DSW MagFlake, it's where I got my bag

From the MSDS:

Typical

Technical grade Calcium Chloride is good and should leave little, if any, residue when dissolved. Dave, do you have a bucket of this?

I saw the Excel Scottwood CC online, but not sure about the 4% Alkali and what that could do. I think in order to get food/pharmaceutical grade CC you need to go directly to the maker or large distrubtor. BRS must have a source they go straight to and they are probably making a fortune in reselling. Not one other aquarium store online does what they do? I find that odd. I think the CC salt melt brands change often and so do the chemicals being put in them so it is hard to keep up with. The Alk and Mag should be easy to keep up with from a DIY, but CC isn't so easy.

I saw the Excel Scottwood CC online, but not sure about the 4% Alkali and what that could do. I think in order to get food/pharmaceutical grade CC you need to go directly to the maker or large distrubtor. BRS must have a source they go straight to and they are probably making a fortune in reselling. Not one other aquarium store online does what they do? I find that odd. I think the CC salt melt brands change often and so do the chemicals being put in them so it is hard to keep up with. The Alk and Mag should be easy to keep up with from a DIY, but CC isn't so easy.

There are a couple other places that sell food grade additive mixes besides BRS, Buckeye Field Supply sells to the aquarium mkt but I think I checked long ago and their prices were more than BRS, and there used to be a sponsor on here from PA, don't remember his business name, that sold his own packaged additives and salts.

I trust that Randy Holmes Farley is the accepted Reef Aquarium expert on DIY aquarium additives, alot of people have been using his recipes for years to save money. If he says Dowflake, Peladow and Prestone Driveway Heat are good for aquariums I trust that he's done the testing so I'm not going to try and find something different that might be fine or might wipe out my tank. My feeling is use exactly what RHF recommends, or pay more and order the stuff from BRS, your choice.

http://www.tetrachemicals.com/Index.asp?page_ID=580&skip_frames=&site_ID=8 The brand to use is TETRA,

It can be found at some home depo stores.

The flake grade is used by some aquarium co

and has been used by myself and 1000 of reefers for 4 plus years.

They make food grade stuff also.

Was at the hd at mr corals and at landsdowne a few years ago

never really looked since then.

I know the tetra stuff is supposed to be good, but it's even harder to find than Dowflake. If I remember correctly Tetra is the product that everyone went to when there was the big scare about DowFlake having something in it but for the life of me I don't remember what. I just remember hearing about it because back then I was still dumb enough to be dosing with ESV products.

Dow stop removing bromine from its products so randy thinks its not a problem

if you do regular large water changes.

If you dont do them dont use dow except to spike you water change water.

Tetra is around at alot of hd but they only get a pallet in most times so it runs

out fast.

There is a briners grade of tetra that is around for brewers that seems the best to me.

The price i found years ago was around brs prices though.

I personally used a mix of 50 tetra 25 dow 20brs to save money at first because randy

never tested tetra but after so many reefers used tetra i used only tetra.

On a large sps only tank i would use the mix to be safe.

Edited by basser9

I've used Tetra, but you have to be careful about what plant it comes out of. The one's from China actually dissolve cleaner (with less residue) than the stuff that comes out of Europe. I don't know if their Louisiana plant has come back fully with Calcium Chloride, though. Katrina knocked them out for several years.

I think all the tetra is made from hca and limestone but they might of changed there process.

I HAD NO PROBLEM WITH THE CHINESE TETRA.....BUT buyer beware.

It is really white and clear when mixed but with any non food grade the question is always

heavy metal levels.

Its a shame one of the local lfs wont get a pallet of the food grade in.

Frederick Brick Works has had MagFlake out in their yard (around $14 per 50lb bag) and can get DowFlake but you have to ask for it. They usually get a couple pallets for a local snow removal contractor and keep it out of sight. If you ask and they have it, they will sell it to you. Can't hurt to call and ask....I have bought both from them in the past and their stock list still identifies they carry it:

http://www.frederickbrickworks.com/documents/LineCard.pdf

Edited by iceman

Good to hear about the SafeStep Mg. Costco usually gets that in but I didn't want to risk it.

PICKLE CRISP is food grade calcium used for canning and by home brewers.

ITS THE STUFF TO USE just need to find a home brewing store that sells large bags.

PICKLE CRISP is food grade calcium used for canning and by home brewers.

ITS THE STUFF TO USE just need to find a home brewing store that sells large bags.

I get the feeling we're trying to pickle our SW tanks, we already use Ms. Wages Pickling Lime in our kalk reactors. :clap: I'll have to look this pickle crisp up.

There are plenty of shippers of tech/food grade calcium you just need to be able to recieve a pallet of it.

Not that Im lazy, but if you an forward that info to me......I'll see what I can do..

For my information... what is a good price to pay for about 50 pounds of Calcium?

http://reefkeeping.c...2/rhf/index.php

Randy shows a bag here from a Home Depot. Have you guys checked your local Lowe's and Home Depot stores?

He also mentions a Dead Sea Works product for Magnesium that the Boston Reefers Club got on a group buy.

Perhaps we could find the products online from a single company (DSW?) and setup a WAMAS group buy for a pallet full of the bags...

Dead Sea Works is sold by Merrifield Nursery in Vienna/Falls Church, 50lbs for maybe $20. It's dirt cheap. According to posts elsewhere on WAMAS, its pure MgCl, which is what you want.

You can use a 5:3 ratio of DSW and epson salts to get the correct balance between Mg clorides and Mg sulfates. I've used it for 2.5 years to kill hair algae by upper the Mg in my tank to 1500-1600, no ill effects at all.

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html shows how much to mix up.