Perfecto 265- tempered sides?

zygote2k

I have a client who wishes to put in a Glassholes overflow on his 265. Perfecto was bought by Marineland and no one at Marineland can be certain that Perfecto tanks did or did not use tempered glass on the sides. Does anyone here have any idea or know whom to ask?

Another question- if tank is not tempered, then I will be drilling it. Unfortunately I'll have to drill it while it still has water inside and also drilling it horizontally. Is this possible? If so, how do I keep lubricant on the drill bit? Do I just have someone else spray water at the hole while drilling? I've already figured out how to build a drill jig that will allow me to drill a perfectly hole horizontally though.

I have a client who wishes to put in a Glassholes overflow on his 265. Perfecto was bought by Marineland and no one at Marineland can be certain that Perfecto tanks did or did not use tempered glass on the sides. Does anyone here have any idea or know whom to ask?

Another question- if tank is not tempered, then I will be drilling it. Unfortunately I'll have to drill it while it still has water inside and also drilling it horizontally. Is this possible? If so, how do I keep lubricant on the drill bit? Do I just have someone else spray water at the hole while drilling? I've already figured out how to build a drill jig that will allow me to drill a perfectly hole horizontally though.

Rob, check this list:

http://mikekirkman.com/forum/smf_1-1-3_install/index.php?PHPSESSID=b2e53ba11f0c7a6c2cf8e83b8028baa3&board=20.0

I'm pretty sure that you're safe.

I drilled my tank horizontally. The directions from Glass-Holes said that I could use a spray bottle to keep the site wet while drilling. What I actually did was to get a regular water bottle and drill a few holes in the cap to make it a squeeze bottle. Then, I would give bottle a short squeeze every 20 seconds or so while drilling. I drilled four holes in the side of my 210 this way without any difficulty. In my case, the tank was empty, so I taped the inside of the tank at the drill site with a short length of duct tape so the circular glass blank wouldn't fall onto the tank bottom and possibly break the bottom pane. If you had water in the tank you would be drilling, this shouldn't be an issue as the blank would just fall in the water harmlessly.

drilling a 265 with water in it and a risk (albeit, it appears small) of tempered? I am glad I am not the one doing the drilling!

if it is empty you can put a computer screen up to it and look thru the glass with polorized glasses to tell if it is tempered...

if it is the glass will look like it has lines going thru it...

if not it will be clear

To be a little helpful, I have drilled tanks in the manner you are talking about by using putty to build a dam that holds water for cooling lubricant while drilling. The method worked well. Once I was most of the way through, I drained it and used spray cooling for the last mm or so.

I drilled mine while it was partially filled. I drained the water several inches below the bottom of the soon to be hole. For lubricating, I drilled three small holes into the cap of a soda bottle and squirted water at the hole as I drilled from the inside out. I laid a big thick beach towel behind the tank to get any water as the bit came through. It was a total non event.

Maybe you could use an Aqualifter, put the out end of the Aqualifter directed at the drill site, and the up take end in a pan of water wide enough to catch what runs down from the site.

Edited by treesprite

if it is empty you can put a computer screen up to it and look thru the glass with polorized glasses to tell if it is tempered...

if it is the glass will look like it has lines going thru it...

if not it will be clear

+1...I used this method on my 75 gallon and it worked really well. The tank had a sticker on the bottom panel that said "do not drill, TEMPERED GLASS". I was unsure if it meant just the bottom or if that was the sides too. The computer screen and polorized shades was perfect. I used a glass holes kit and I love it. I t was my first time drilling.

Reston Glass sells a bottled lubricant made for "Hi Risk" drilling. Pretty inexspensive and every little thing you can use that can maximize your success on this job might payoff. BTW.....How old is this aquarium. I have had the unfortune to see a 265 prefecto explode like a shotgun blast when a goof ball that I used to know insisted it was not tempered.... man it was loud. It was however from the early 2000's.. had a build date of 2001 if I can remember. Remember to wear eye protection and a kevlar vest!!!

Amen Chad, that said, if anybody could pull it off it will be Rob......

drilling a 265 with water in it and a risk (albeit, it appears small) of tempered? I am glad I am not the one doing the drilling!

I'll come help if you want. You're going to be drilling for a while. It must be at least 3/4" thick.