How to make homemade fish food?

Llemonz

I was wondering who out that makes their own food and if anyone could assist me in my adventure to make some? I saw Jan had posted that she's selling it, but being the whole way out in western md, it's probably a little far for me to go to buy that.. So alas, here I am asking for food making advice? :) Thanks!

I'm actually more interested in joining Jan during a trip to the 'market' where she buys the FRESH seafood. I think I can make my own with the help of the WAMAS articles but not in buying the product.

Let me know when you're in my neck of the woods and I'll accompany you to "Great Wall" in Merrifield. It's an amazing market.

I'm actually more interested in joining Jan during a trip to the 'market' where she buys the FRESH seafood. I think I can make my own with the help of the WAMAS articles but not in buying the product.

Hey, thanks for the link to the article! My biggest question is in what ratios do I use the ingredients? Also, I read somewhere else before about using agar as a sort of base for the food and to help it settle together better when freezing.

You can add any amount of whatever you wish. It really just depends on what you want your fish to have more of. If you had lots of tangs for instance I would add more nori and vegetable matter. For carnivorous fish, more meaty stuff like shrimp clam, squid....

Where in western MD are you from? Hagerstown here myself, not too many of us out this way.

Hey, thanks for the link to the article! My biggest question is in what ratios do I use the ingredients? Also, I read somewhere else before about using agar as a sort of base for the food and to help it settle together better when freezing.

Step 1:

Buy the biggest food processor you can afford. I like this one from Wal-Mart for $24.00.

Step 2:

Buy the ingredients. Chad posted a great list (though I use a lot less ingredients myself), or take a look at Jan's list too. I like to start with all the pellets/flakes, then hit up the local asian market, by me it's called H Mart. Grab all the seafood you like. Then take it home and mix it/chop it. Put it into zip lock bags, make sure they are air tight, then lay them flat in the freezer. Once they're frozen you can break off tiny 1cm or 1inch squares (depends on your tank size/needs), and then feed the tank. My fish and corals and inverts were never happier before homemade food!

Edited by Ryan S

Ryan, do you try to drain out as much liquid from the mixture before you freeze it? I was curious how that worked with adding additives like amino acids and vitamin C? Also, how well does making the fish food double as being coral food? And if I'm trying to make my food dual purpose, any suggestions on what additional to add?

Steve, I'm in Hancock, so about 25minutes west of Hagerstown, but I graduated from North High three years ago. I'm kind of disappointed that there isn't a larger population in our area that are in the hobby, I'd love to have people around I could buy/sell/trade with!

Is that LFS store in Hancock still open, Neptunes (something or other) it was called? Been well over a year since I was in there.

Sadly with my little tank theres not much to trade or sell from it. But Ive got plenty of chaeto or halimeda if you ever want some.

Yeah it is, they've been open for like three years now. I'm actually really close to the family, I grew up with the owners son and sometimes will help them out. That's actually where I get must all of my stuff. And I might be taking you up on that offer of chaeto here in a few weeks when I go to set up the refugium portion on my sump!

Ryan, do you try to drain out as much liquid from the mixture before you freeze it? I was curious how that worked with adding additives like amino acids and vitamin C? Also, how well does making the fish food double as being coral food? And if I'm trying to make my food dual purpose, any suggestions on what additional to add?

Steve, I'm in Hancock, so about 25minutes west of Hagerstown, but I graduated from North High three years ago. I'm kind of disappointed that there isn't a larger population in our area that are in the hobby, I'd love to have people around I could buy/sell/trade with!

I don't drain any liquid before freezing. It's not as wet as you may think. I don't use many liquids though. I like seafood, nori, garlic, pellets, flakes, veggies, etc, it's mildly wet I'd say.

... Also, how well does making the fish food double as being coral food? ...

I'm not exactly sure what Vibrance is, but Jan uses that in her formula. From reading the description, it sounds like a coral food. I have a powdered product called Coral Frenzy ("The Ultimate Coral Food") and I plan to add that to the mix that I am going to make today. (Yup, I'm meeting Jan today at Great Wall to get some food for the tank.)

Vibrance was actually made by Ocean rider for seahorses, but it's a great enhancement for all marine livestock. Read about it here http://www.seahorse....o&products_id=7

In this batch I also used AminOmega for the HUFA and Vitamin C.

I'm not exactly sure what Vibrance is, but Jan uses that in her formula. From reading the description, it sounds like a coral food. I have a powdered product called Coral Frenzy ("The Ultimate Coral Food") and I plan to add that to the mix that I am going to make today. (Yup, I'm meeting Jan today at Great Wall to get some food for the tank.)

Edited by Jan