DIY Leak Detector for Apex

Fazio92

Guest dproch84

I've just finished building and testing my DIY advanced leak detection system,for my apex it was quite easy and works very well and cost $50. And took about ten minutes I purchased a wireless leak detection system from Home Depot. It came it the base unit and 2 wireless probes( sensors ). I Located the two low voltage wire going to the alarm( speaker ) in the base unit and connected them to the b.o.b. I now have 5 wireless switches( 150' range) any of which can active the apex switch if wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just finished building and testing my DIY advanced leak detection system,for my apex it was quite easy and works very well and cost $50. And took about ten minutes I purchased a wireless leak detection system from Home Depot. It came it the base unit and 2 wireless probes( sensors ). I Located the two low voltage wire going to the alarm( speaker ) in the base unit and connected them to the b.o.b. I now have 5 wireless switches( 150' range) any of which can active the apex switch if wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds great! Are you going to post details? Pictures, model numbers of equipment used, etc.? It would be very useful to people here to have that from you.

I recently played with the Apex module.  I have to say, it's pretty slick.  An Aquabus USB connection and some RJ11 phone type connectors to each of the water sensors and you are done.  No fiddling with wires or worrying that they come loose.  Having it use the Apex native speaker and "ringtones" is also super easy.

I recently played with the Apex module.  I have to say, it's pretty slick.  An Aquabus USB connection and some RJ11 phone type connectors to each of the water sensors and you are done.  No fiddling with wires or worrying that they come loose.  Having it use the Apex native speaker and "ringtones" is also super easy.

The cool thing, though, is the guy's report in Post #26 (above) where he interfaced the water sensors wirelessly (with 150' range) to his Apex.

The cool thing, though, is the guy's report in Post #26 (above) where he interfaced the water sensors wirelessly (with 150' range) to his Apex.

Wow. I missed the wireless part in my first read! Very cool and 150' is just awesome. Will be looking to do this soon :)

My guess is that the wireless system used was GE's Choice Alert system based on a few web searches and the fact that HD sells the water sensor.

Similar product for adaptation? The water link sensor looks very similar to the one that GE makes and Home Depot sells. Only, it's $20

http://www.smarthome.com/7311W/Skylink-WA-318-Household-Alert-Water-Alert-System/p.aspx

Could be. But it looks an awful lot like the GE sensor and similar sensors branded with different company names. Makes me wonder if they're all the same or compatible.

Sent from my LG G-Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition

Could be. But it looks an awful lot like the GE sensor and similar sensors branded with different company names. Makes me wonder if they're all the same or compatible.

It looks like it comes with one sensor from the pictures, though.

I stand corrected. It does say receiver and sensor included. I would buy the GE one. I've bought enough $19.99 sensors from smarthome...they work...but theres a reason they are $19.99...

Edited by lnevo

My guess is that the wireless system used was GE's Choice Alert system based on a few web searches and the fact that HD sells the water sensor.

Similar product for adaptation? The water link sensor looks very similar to the one that GE makes and Home Depot sells. Only, it's $20

http://www.smarthome.com/7311W/Skylink-WA-318-Household-Alert-Water-Alert-System/p.aspx

I just bought that one the other day from Amazon.  I haven't hooked it up yet, but now I am curious how dproch84 hooked it to the apex.