SPS question

scott711

I have a purple tipped green acro that has recently receded from the base. The tips seem to be growing fine, but the base has died a little. What causes this? Is there anything I should do? I don't want it to die.

My parameters are:

CA-400

KH- 9.6

alk -3.4

I use salifert test kits. My CA is a little low and I have been bringing it up slowly. I didn't test MG, but the last time I did it was a little low(1125) and I have been bringing that up too.

thanks,

Scott

is it getting good flow at the base?

sometimes if the top is getting all the flow and the base gets none it will start to receed or bleach from the bottom

The top is getting most of the flow. I would imagine that the base is not getting a whole lot of flow.

If I increase it will it be ok?

Depending on size, the base may be getting less light too.

Light, flow, water quality.... get those 3 right and you are golden

The colony is close to the top so I think it is getting plenty of light. The only thing that has changed is that a colony of anthelia has been growing close to it and blocking some current. I will try to improve the current and see what happens. Thanks for the advice. I will let you know what happens.

Scott

depending on how dense the coral is, it can also be from lack of light, but try the flow increase first. Is the tissue actually dying or is it just bleached?

Is the tissue actually dying or is it just bleached?

33804[/snapback]

It looks like it is dying from the base. The rest of it seems to be doing fine.