Exploding Rio Pump

HowardofNOVA

You will all remember a month ago (finally got around to publishing this) about how I got electrically rocked working in my main tank. My arm had twice touched my MH lights and dang near knocked me to my knee's.

First time I thought it was the lights, Second time I thought it was an ViaAqua Heater gone bad. WRONG!

While cleaning out my sump, I noticed that my Phosban Reactor was not working and pulled the RIO 600 Pump out to clean it. When I opened up the lid, this is what I discovered:

122RIO_Explodes-med.jpg

I unfortunately have heard this happening MORE THAN ONCE for others!

Buyer beware for what it is worth. IMHO: Recommend MaxiJet for Powerheads!

In other news,

NEW COUPLE IN Howard's Tank!

I recently purchased a Green Mandaran and put into my 75GALLON Tank, yes, after doing the math, I've discovered my 90g WAS NOT a 90g but a 75g.

Math: 47.5" x 18" x 19" divided by 231 = about 75 gallons. Ok, I'm dealing with it!

:blink:

Anyway, back to the story, I got a deal from Tom on another Green Mandaran, that went temporary in my office 10g tank. After he cleaned my tank out of Pods, I transferred him into my 75g tank with the other. Discovered they where Male/Female:

122Mandaran_Couple-med.jpg

COOL!

Well until the Female (The one with a rounded dorsal) opened a BIG CAN of WhoopA## on the Male (The one with a pointed dorsal fin). After taking a couple of bites out of his pectorial fin, I tried to get him out of the tank but was unable.

I had to go outside to mow the grass and when I came back expecting the worst. What I found out was the WIMP was now following her around like a lost puppy dog! Now she has a Hen Pecked Husband! Kind of like Chip!

:P

Other news:

I'm just about done with my sump area, stand, canopy, frag tank, new plumbing, new etc etc, hopefully, Myself, JEAN MARIE and if we can convince NICK into doing a Tank Tour in late July. Will advise soon on this! That Chip fellow is getting to be a pain beginning for names to do this. WILL SOMEONE VOLUNTEER TO SHOW THEIR TANK?

Howard

Howard,

How lucky you are to have a pair of Mandarin! :D Congrat! I feel great to let go of mine since it won't do very good in my tank in the long run. :( Now when are we expecting babies? :lol:

--Tom

Howard-

I have heard horror stories about the Rio pumps. As a matter of fact, if you check the message boards I think you will find plenty of testament that Rio just flat out sucks. I'm just glad that there was little or no damage to anything in your tank.

By the way, I don't blame the male mandarin. Ever since I got married and my wife too a couple of chunks out of my dorsal I follow her around too!!

Guest Keyoke
Howard-

I have heard horror stories about the Rio pumps.  As a matter of fact, if you check the message boards I think you will find plenty of testament that Rio just flat out sucks.  I'm just glad that there was little or no damage to anything in your tank.

By the way, I don't blame the male mandarin.  Ever since I got married and my wife too a couple of chunks out of my dorsal I follow her around too!!

33140[/snapback]

I must be the odd man out.. I've got two Rio's, both are 10 years old, and STILL kicking. The first is a 2300, the 2nd is a lill 100 or 200 model.. (i think that's what they are, missing the label now on 1, and the other is so encrusted with coraline and those curly teeny feather worm tubes I can't read it). They were run contiously for about 2 years, then stored in a box of misc crap for 5 or 6 years, then run for about 6 months.. then I used 'em to make bubbles in my kids bath (no, they weren't in the bath at the time, it's like salt mixing, you mix it before you put your livestock in it).. a 2300 with a peice of flex tube and a old venturi I found in a box with the pumps can REALLY get some froth out of Mr. Bubble. :)

Anyway, the 2300 is pushing my skimmer, and the lil one i use to target problem areas until I can decide on an in-tank water circulation system. (read: I'm targeting Dead Zones, which I have a lot of. My circulation is .. embarassing at the moment. 1 power sweep oscillating power heads, and two returns, a mag5 and a mag 3) - I'll prolly go with this since I'm operating on a budget here...

Anyway, the Rio's have been great for me... never replaced the impellers either.. or cleaned 'em when they were running. Tho the impellers are starting to chatter a bit, prolly ought to look into that but heck, the darn things just work for me.. not that I'd go buy more, what with the horror stories.. mebby I got mine before they went to the outhouse.

Keyoke - you are either lucky or those pumps are old enough that they were made before the quality went bad..........or it just hit and miss with them. I hope you didn't jinx yourself by saying that :P

Keyoke:

You ought to start saving and replace those pumps. Now. The imortant details you've missed out on are in other conversations and on other BB's, not this thread.

When the Rio starts a meltdown the hot copper coils melt the encasing epoxy. The coils become exposed and suddenly you are now dosing your tank with copper. Just about the worst thing that you can do since inverts can't handle copper.

Make up a spread sheet and add up all of your expenditures and compare it to the price of a 1/2 tank of dead things and pump that fried.

And heading to the LFS for Activated Carbon at 10 minutes before closing. Changing water with fresh saltwater late in the evening - if you have it, or you'll buy that too. Oh yeah, and remember - dead things.

It's probably cheaper to accept sage advice and get that pump out of there unless you know it is not a Rio. I was lucky, I got home and actually smelled the burnt smell in my living room but I didn't lose anything after the panic and above treatment. I can't imagine what it smelled like to the fish and critters.

FF

OK,

Gang, for those who are a glutton for punishment.

I believe my Blue Velvet Damsel killed my Singapore Angel last night. I had her for over a year!

I also believe he killed my Flame Angel 2 weeks ago and is now harrassing my new one.

Sooo.... He is about to sleep with the fishes if know what I mean unless someone wants him like NOW! LMK know soon!

I heading home for lunch and hopefully catch him and quarantine him until ?

I also have one rock that I got from Mike covered in Xenia, make offer or just come and get it. Also have another rock with Xenia that Steve Outlaw passed on to me...ditto's.

I've come to the conclusion that none of these 3 will ever cross my tanks again! <_<

Howard

Now Howard, don't blame me for the Xenia. I warned you that is grows like crazy. I took a bunch off of my biggest rock and didn't get it all........now it's coming back with a vengance.

Shush!

:P

Chip is taking both because they are on their own rocks!

NOW! Anyone want this Blue Velvet Damsel, I mean RARE Elvis Damsel from BORA BORA? Only $500.00 or best offer?

B)