Does anything else eat Aiptasia?

Swimboy123

So, I think I have the World's laziest Peppermint Shrimp. There are 4-5 of them in my tank and the aiptasia situation is doing nothing but getting worse. After feeding my tank last night though, they were more then happy to dine off the remnants of the fish food. I need to get rid of them (the aiptasia) and the only other option that I know of is a Copperband Butterfly. Something tells me though getting a CB is a bad idea. Actually twos things are telling me that's a bad idea and they happen the two jerks in my tank known as yellow tangs. So I think the CB option is out. Does anyone know of anything else other then Berghia, Peppermints, or a CB that will eat aiptasia?

Also, if someone does have a peppermint with a definitive taste for aiptasia, I would be willing to buy or work out a trade. Thanks!

So, I think I have the World's laziest Peppermint Shrimp. There are 4-5 of them in my tank and the aiptasia situation is doing nothing but getting worse. After feeding my tank last night though, they were more then happy to dine off the remnants of the fish food. I need to get rid of them (the aiptasia) and the only other option that I know of is a Copperband Butterfly. Something tells me though getting a CB is a bad idea. Actually twos things are telling me that's a bad idea and they happen the two jerks in my tank known as yellow tangs. So I think the CB option is out. Does anyone know of anything else other then Berghia, Peppermints, or a CB that will eat aiptasia?

Also, if someone does have a peppermint with a definitive taste for aiptasia, I would be willing to buy or work out a trade. Thanks!

Check this link out:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/aiptasia/aiptasia.htm

bristle tailed file fish....Sean had one in stock out at Fins and Feathers (this past weekend) and i think i saw some at Petland, BRK, and somewhere else too.

some say they go after zoa's but ive only heard that recently.

I have a copperband, everyone that I have got from BRK has eaten all the aiptasia in the tank except for the huge ones which I have maybe three on this one rock. I decided to try the hydnophora as something to kill it since everything that goes near it gets digested to death. I had a frag laying on the sandbed and put it next to the aiptasia, then it grabbed the frag (same size as the aiptasia) and is holding on to it. So I will update when I get home or tomorow and tell you how it went.

Do you have some big ones in your tank or a lot of small ones? Normally when they get a certain size we have to cut them out because the shrimp and fish wouldn't eat them.

There a ton of little ones and a few good sized ones. All of a sudden they are popping out of the woodwork. Going to swing by marine scene for some joe's juice and a knock a couple of them out.

If you shut your pumps down and let it set for about 20 mins. it stays clumped over the Aiptasia. I had about 50/50 luck with the kalk.

Edited by surf&turf

wouldn't the kalk disintegrate in the water column fairly quickly?

And this is why I like to use a syringe and inject them with it.

And this is why I like to use a syringe and inject them with it.

How thin do you have to make the paste to get it to go thru the needle?

fairly thin... but it works over time with repeated applications. My 240 never has aiptasia because of the CBB. Wish I felt comfortable moving him from tank to tank.

bob

It is basically just fully saturated solution with some non-dissolved powder in it to make it cloudy. I do use a thicker needle, though.