Roni's 270 gallon upgrade

roni

Oh yeah, btw, I can attest to the awesomeness that is the bristlenosed filefish. No mojanos that I can see (had about 20 small ones). They are cool fish and so far I haven't noticed any polyp eating (though the tank is big enough that they may be picking and I'm not noticing). Not great swimmers and one got caught on the tunze but extricated him/her self.

They are cool, just keep an eye on any fleshy lobos or brains, mine likes to take bites out of those.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a fantech attic fan...can't remember the exact model but had it from an old project. To be honest, can't figure out how to hook up the humidistat so haven't actually run the fan except when I was doing some plumbing on the tank and when I was painting.

Thanks Eric, things are slowly growing in. Went to move one coral the other day and the subsequent avalanche led to a little bit of an re-aquascaping. I'm not liking the D&D epoxy so far. I may just order more of the aquamend online at some point.

Otherwise, tank had a little bout of ich. While I QT fish now, I didn't in the past and I suspect that's what led to the problems, since my old yellow and purple tangs weren't affected. Everyone looks better now, though the PBT and black tangs still have a couple spots. Short of running the tank fallow for 8 weeks, I think it's just something I'm going to have to live with.

Still have several zoos in this tank (though with backups in the frag tank). So far, the regal angel and filefish have left everything alone. I think it's due to feeding a lot. However, my desjardini sailfin isn't touching bubble algae and instead just takes the lion's share of nori and food. He's big in my tank...I don't think I realized how big until I went to pick him up at Jon and Maureen's. He may end up going into a larger tank if he continues to grow.

I'm also getting some algae in the fuge, which I think is due to no herbivores in there. Will have to do a an order for some cleanup crew...I'm actually thinking blue hermits, which I don't normallly like but given the lack of fish/corals in there, I figure they'll probably do a decent job..and they're cheap :)

Thanks Eric, things are slowly growing in. Went to move one coral the other day and the subsequent avalanche led to a little bit of an re-aquascaping. I'm not liking the D&D epoxy so far. I may just order more of the aquamend online at some point.

Otherwise, tank had a little bout of ich. While I QT fish now, I didn't in the past and I suspect that's what led to the problems, since my old yellow and purple tangs weren't affected. Everyone looks better now, though the PBT and black tangs still have a couple spots. Short of running the tank fallow for 8 weeks, I think it's just something I'm going to have to live with.

Still have several zoos in this tank (though with backups in the frag tank). So far, the regal angel and filefish have left everything alone. I think it's due to feeding a lot. However, my desjardini sailfin isn't touching bubble algae and instead just takes the lion's share of nori and food. He's big in my tank...I don't think I realized how big until I went to pick him up at Jon and Maureen's. He may end up going into a larger tank if he continues to grow.

I'm also getting some algae in the fuge, which I think is due to no herbivores in there. Will have to do a an order for some cleanup crew...I'm actually thinking blue hermits, which I don't normallly like but given the lack of fish/corals in there, I figure they'll probably do a decent job..and they're cheap :)

Tank looks sick!

Also, fallow for 8 weeks isnt enough. You would have to go 12 weeks min and then QT everything that goes in for 12 weeks at a time. Not just fish but corals, rock, sand and everything else. The crypt can be on anything depending on the stage of it's life cycle.

Tank looks sick!

Also, fallow for 8 weeks isnt enough. You would have to go 12 weeks min and then QT everything that goes in for 12 weeks at a time. Not just fish but corals, rock, sand and everything else. The crypt can be on anything depending on the stage of it's life cycle.

Thanks Steve, yeah, you're right. I think my basic summation of that is not gonna happen :) Too be honest, even though the kole and the smaller blue tang looked pretty bad at times, everyone was eating and doing their normal routine. I mainly use QT to fatten up new arrivals and to treat for flukes and then anything else I see. I'm going to try to be better about taking periodic videos of the tank because I don't see a lot of growth since I watch every day but hopefully there will be some growth when I compare month to month.

Thanks Steve, yeah, you're right. I think my basic summation of that is not gonna happen :) Too be honest, even though the kole and the smaller blue tang looked pretty bad at times, everyone was eating and doing their normal routine. I mainly use QT to fatten up new arrivals and to treat for flukes and then anything else I see. I'm going to try to be better about taking periodic videos of the tank because I don't see a lot of growth since I watch every day but hopefully there will be some growth when I compare month to month.

That is the best way to do it. QT for things that will kill fish quickly. Ich doesn't = instand death or even death a lot of times unless the fish is in really bad shape. It's usually other things that lead to a fishes death like ammonia or bad water quality that takes the fish out.

Thanks Steve...or Aquatic Obsession :) My clowns laid down their first ever clutch of eggs today right before the Super Bowl...pretty exciting! They'd been cleaning obsessively over the last month or so so it was only a matter of time. I think the eggs weren't perfect, as several have already been eaten. It wouldn't matter either way as I don't have the time to try to raise them but cool nonetheless.

Hey Roni, how do you like that Tunze Wavebox? Been thinking about getting one but heard mixed reviews... What are your thoughts?

Hey Roni, how do you like that Tunze Wavebox? Been thinking about getting one but heard mixed reviews... What are your thoughts?

I love the wavebox. It's a different type of flow then anything else provides. It really makes the LPS sway nicely in the current and also has the benefit of getting detritus off the ground and up so the other powerheads can take it. It's ideally oriented along the long axis of the tank but I'm still getting 0.5-1" waves going front to back. I've got an MP60 and a Tunze 6105 + returns already so not depending on it for sheer water volume movement, though when I had it along the end in my 180, I got 2" waves pretty easily. I'm actually adding the new Tunze 6155...coming this Friday. Pretty stoked to see it. I like my MP60 but it is way too loud.

Roni, just watched your new video, and love it. Your tank is looking awesome. I can see a lot of fish in there I'd love to have as well!

Thanks Ryan. A little shaky on the first video but easier to video then take pics of the fish :)

Roni this is an awesome build all the way through. I'd like to have that curly maple from the stand on a guitar LOL. Seriously very nice tank.

Thanks, Bob did an amazing job on the stand. I've been working on getting the LPS tank online and finishing up hooking up my dosing (my pumps were sent it for service).

wow bro, amazing setup you have there... I have to swing by and check it out and learn from the master! BTW the stand Bob built is sick...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Tank's going well other then a little expected hair algae. Fish are not doing well. I've known that I have ich in the system due to a lax previous QT process. However, no fish had exhibited anything since this tank was setup. Everything was doing well until my pbt and one of the blues started showing ich about 1 month ago. Since then, other fish have gotten sick, with the pbt and kole completely covered and the blues tangs and black tangs affected fairly significantly as well. My clowns have also gotten a little. None of my older fish show any signs outwardly and the angels/wrasses are all fine. All the fish are fat (way over fed) and active (though the PBT and kole are less so now). However, no one has gotten any better. I've got the obvious bandaids of cleaner shrimp and UV to reduce pathogen load and the fish are fed a heavy and varied diet. There really isn't much for me to do and in the past, I've never lost a healthy fish to ich. I've never tried catching a fish out of this system and am doubtful I could catch the tangs to treat with hyposalinity. Compounding everything is that I'm going out of town. Pretty depressing to look in the tank and I've honestly had very little interest in even getting on the forums over the last few days as the infestation has worsened :(

Roni, i've got one bottle of ich attack that you can have. It's never been opened. I used this when I thought I had ich. When Super pets closed I purchased extra bottles just in case. It's 100% organic and reef safe so at the very least it wont hurt anything.

Thanks guys. Tank's going well other then a little expected hair algae. Fish are not doing well. I've known that I have ich in the system due to a lax previous QT process. However, no fish had exhibited anything since this tank was setup. Everything was doing well until my pbt and one of the blues started showing ich about 1 month ago. Since then, other fish have gotten sick, with the pbt and kole completely covered and the blues tangs and black tangs affected fairly significantly as well. My clowns have also gotten a little. None of my older fish show any signs outwardly and the angels/wrasses are all fine. All the fish are fat (way over fed) and active (though the PBT and kole are less so now). However, no one has gotten any better. I've got the obvious bandaids of cleaner shrimp and UV to reduce pathogen load and the fish are fed a heavy and varied diet. There really isn't much for me to do and in the past, I've never lost a healthy fish to ich. I've never tried catching a fish out of this system and am doubtful I could catch the tangs to treat with hyposalinity. Compounding everything is that I'm going out of town. Pretty depressing to look in the tank and I've honestly had very little interest in even getting on the forums over the last few days as the infestation has worsened :(

ah man What...too much bad new lately...i hope everything turns around

if your having trouble catching things, wait for lights out and then go after them with a red flashlight or dim one if possible...never believed you could catch any fish doin this but saw it once and im a believer as long as you can reach their sleeping place.

+1 I've caught all my fish hours after lights are out. I've caught many while the lights were still out or I catch them by surprise by turning the lights on at about 1 or 2am.

they're stunned and still asleep at 1 and 2am. Your rock work is pretty open so it shouldn't be to difficult.

ah man What...too much bad new lately...i hope everything turns around

if your having trouble catching things, wait for lights out and then go after them with a red flashlight or dim one if possible...never believed you could catch any fish doin this but saw it once and im a believer as long as you can reach their sleeping place.