DIY LED Help!

AcePuck35

Guest thefishman65

I can help you on heat sinks if you are willing to go through a few extra hoops.

The problem I am having now with rapidled is they seem to be out of stock of a bunch of things. Also the description in the LED DIY kits says you can choose from 3 different degree optics, but then it does not give me a choice when I add it to the cart.

Guest thefishman65

I think you said you weren't in a hurry, can you give me a week to see if I am actually doing a group buy. Then I get to worry about where to find things :)

Heatsink, I can get (sometimes) recycle material from my office. If you have a table saw with a carbide blade you can cut it down. Or you can use as it although it is a little bulky. I will be going to the social late, but I can bring you one too look at. Or stop by my office in Herndon.

Yes, I am not in a hurry. I was only putting the items in the cart to see how much things cost. And I was curious what your extra hoops were so if you have a cost savings idea I could begin to research that. What recycled materials do you get that you can uses as a heat sink? I was looking into maybe using an aluminum C channel from home depot but decided against it because the channel was not that deep and the aluminum was thinner then most heat sinks.

Guest thefishman65

I have some pictures in my album on reefcentral.com (same name). Kind of hard to explain, but the thickness is about 1/10 of an inch.

Ok good to know. Does it ask you to do that? I did not see anywhere where it said to do that but I was not looking that hard. What did you order and for what size tank? If you don't mind me asking...

I ordered their biocube 29 kit with extra leds and a controller.

I got some different colors of whites and blues to play with.

I've used their actinic kits for 3 other tanks and loved it.

This tank is going to be for my Black Ice clowns, their anemone and some chalices and some z's & p's. So I don't need crazy par #'s. I'm just looking for overall color and pop.

Guest thefishman65

Ace and whoever else might be interested.

I am doing a build for someone. So I will be doing a group buy for parts. I hope to get it started a little later this morning so keep an eye out in the group buy section.

Has anyone tried using two dimmer switches with 1 driver? For example if I wanted to use 6 royal blue and 6 blue LEDs and wanted to dim them separately but only use 1 driver is that possible? I was thinking of having them come on and off at the same time but adjust them separately so I can dial in the color.

No, it doesn't work like that with the meanwell drivers.

The problem is that the drivers are constant current. In order to run strings in parallel from a constant current source, it would mean that when you dial down on one string, the driver would continue pumping the same amount of current, which would then drive the other string harder.

Other than not doing what you would want it to, I don't think the driver would like it very much and might fry.

After Doing a bunch of reading this is my first attempt a LEDs for my 40 Breeder what does everyone think?

(4) Cool White

(8) Natural White

(4) Blue

(12) Royal Blue

(3) Moon

(No Optics)

Sorry if the picture is bad, it is my first time posting a pic.

tn_gallery_2632905_989_79907.jpg

Edited by AcePuck35

Anyone know the color temperature of a RB or B CREE LED? I can find the peaks, but I am trying to guestimate overall color temperature for various combinations.

RapidLED has a 4 moon light kit minus the heat sink for $18. And no I will probably need 3 drivers. I have not totally worked that out yet so I may change the arangments because of that.

Anyone know the color temperature of a RB or B CREE LED? I can find the peaks, but I am trying to guestimate overall color temperature for various combinations.

RB is very purple to my eye. This is why I added a few B's to tone it down and smooth out the contrast between white and RB. In my opinion, solely using RB's as a source of blue light casts a purplish hue that can look artificial and overpowering. While using too many B's does create a windex look, adding the right amount takes some of that overpowering purple and balances it out with the bluer "20k" look. I can explain/show you what I'm talking about when you stop by this week.

Guest thefishman65

Bowie,

14 on a meanwell can be pushing it but it depends on the forward voltage of the LEDs. 48 / 14 = 3.43 volts per LED.

Chad,

I think color temperature only works with white lite. If not then 30-40K I guess. They say 2:1 with whites is 20k-14k depending on the person. Of course from what I read after 10k the number aren't really right.