DIY LED Help!

AcePuck35

I am setting up my new tank and I have been doing a lot of research about LEDs and have been reading a lot of good things. I read the pinned topic of LED questions on this forum. I am still having trouble deciding what to do. In the topic section under

My reef is just about twice the length and size of that and I built a fixture using 36 LEDs. half white and half royal blue.

They are about 6" above the water and the SPS and LPS are all doing nicely.

According to the manufacturer, this is suposed to give me 125% more light than my 250 watts of MH and it does. It is much brighter and the colors are much better, there is also no heat.

I built the fixture on a simple pulley system with a counter weight so with one finger the entire thing moves up about a foot for tank maintenance.

Here it is with the fixture raised for maintenance.

Tha tank is built into a wall

IMG_1092.jpg

Edited by paul b

Guest thefishman65

60 would be good and would allow SPS just about anywhere. You could do less and only do SPS in the middle. Height is your choice higher up needs optics, but no splash guard. On times are up to you. Remember the old days the lights just cam one. LEDs allow lots of fun stuff, but it is not required.

I am setting up my new tank and I have been doing a lot of research about LEDs and have been reading a lot of good things. I read the pinned topic of LED questions on this forum. I am still having trouble deciding what to do. In the topic section under

Guest thefishman65

I am pretty sure he means

Turn bank 1 on

a little later turn bank 2 on

a little later turn bank 3 on

8 or so hour later

Turn bank 3 off

a little later turn bank 2 off

a little later turn bank 1 off

Guest thefishman65

- Probably want neutrals rather than warm/soft (but look at some fixtures and see what you like)

- It should, but your mileage may vary

- no anemone expert, but it should be about the same as 250 watts of MH

I think the issue with the 40 breeder is the coverage 24 led's will provide, rather than the intensity. I think 2 rows of 12 would be the best bet, but spaced too far apart they will have a "spotlight" effect. Raising the fixture higher will help of course.

Maybe someone who has actually put LED's over a tank with these dimensions can provide more accurate information.

Guest thefishman65

White LEDs come in cool (bluer), neutral and warm (redder). Some people think that CW don't have enough red and the coral look off, the opinion seems to be add NW as the WW are too red. I have not done it yet, but I intend to swap out 1/2 of my CW with NW.

Depending on how much of a hurry your in, I am ordering leds for my biocube today. In about a week I should have them up and running and can give you a good assessment of the different whites.

I'm ordering 12 royal blues, 8 neutral whites, 4 cool whites, 2 cool blues and 2 violets(410nm). Im going to play with the whites and see which is more pleasing.

I can post results in a week if you can wait.

Guest thefishman65

Things like a pink birdsnest is not the right color pink. Since color is subjective it is hard to say.

Guest thefishman65

I believe I will be doing a build for someone, I am meeting with them tonight. If so I will be doing a group buy. Note that for a group buy each type of LEDs is separate so 12 RB and 12 CW is not 24 LEDs, but 12 and 12. The options for the group buy are (at least that I am aware of):

LEDGroupBuy.com - cheapest for a small order (less than 50)

ETGTech - last time I tried they wanted 1000 quantities, but earlier it was a $75 minimum

Cutter - out of Australia a bit of a hassle, but the best prices the last time I ordered.

There is also reefledlgihts.com that I have heard good things about, but no experience with them.

Guest thefishman65

Why do think they are cheaper? I looked at LEDs prices and they appear the same, but I think RapidLED had a wider selection. I am just curious what you are looking at.

I am ordering most of it from rapidled. The violets are a little harder to find, so wont be 100 percent till later.

I have ordered from rapid twice before and been very pleased.

I will post results as soon as I can.

After I posted that I started to calculate the costs of different set ups. And you are correct RappidLED and Reefledlights are about the same I am still getting a few dollars less at Reefledlights. I am looking at the cost of a 24 LED kit with 2 fans. The heat sinks are actually a lot more expensive at reefledlights.