Advice on re-stocking 150 gallon reef tank

rdavidw

A few months ago I had a tank crash when I was out of town than killed off most of my fish and inverts. The corals that did suffer from the power outage grew back very quickly. Things seem stable now and I am going to re-sock with inverts and fish. I currently have some problems with aiptasia, hair algae, bubble algae, and a bit of red slime algae in the refugium. Any suggestions or compatibility problems with this list?

Inverts Count

Margarita Snail 28

Turbo Snails 35

Red Leg Hermit Crabs 50

Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs 27

Emerald Crab 6

Sally Litefoot Crab 6

Peppermint Shrimp 12

Serpent Star 3

Lettuce Nudibranch 3

Fish Count

Lawnmower Blenny 1

Green Chromis 15

Clown Fish 1

Yellow Tang (Med) 3

Blue Mandarin Dragonet 1

Fire Goby 2

Six Line Wrasse 1

Bicolor Dottyback 1

Do the counts seem about right for this setup?

Here are some photos of my tank now:

gallery_2631271_278_302856.jpg

gallery_2631271_278_567287.jpg

gallery_2631271_278_268615.jpg

gallery_2631271_278_380137.jpg

gallery_2631271_278_837067.jpg

gallery_2631271_278_445642.jpg

If you are having trouble with hair algea, I would suggest a Rabbitfish. One will clean your rocks within a couple of weeks. For the Aiptasia you can maybe try a Copper Band Butterfly, but my experience has been once the Aiptasia is gone, it's hard to get them to eat anything else.

Edited by steveoutlaw

You might have an issue with the three tangs. They tend to fight when in pairs or small groups. I would do at least five yellows or maybe three of differing types/shapes of tangs.

The emerald crabs should take care of that bubble algea. I have always had a Copperband in my tank and I have never had to worry about aptisia. All of mine have transitioned easily to frozen food.

Are you running GFO? I couldn't tell for sure looking at your sump. That may help pull down the cyano, hair algea and bubble algea. I have also had great results dosing MB7 and vodka.

I have an easier solution that will benefit the tank greatly-

Add nothing for 6 months and allow the tank to recycle itself with a low biomass other than corals and algae. You'll be amazed at what grows. Keep doing regular maintenance though.

The emerald crabs should take care of that bubble algea. I have always had a Copperband in my tank and I have never had to worry about aptisia. All of mine have transitioned easily to frozen food.

Are you running GFO? I couldn't tell for sure looking at your sump. That may help pull down the cyano, hair algea and bubble algea. I have also had great results dosing MB7 and vodka.

Thanks! What is GFO? I have Pure RO water for my tap-up.

If you are having trouble with hair algea, I would suggest a Rabbitfish. One will clean your rocks within a couple of weeks. For the Aiptasia you can maybe try a Copper Band Butterfly, but my experience has been once the Aiptasia is gone, it's hard to get them to eat anything else.

I had one a while back. It cleaned the whole tank in a few days and then starved to death and was a mess to get out of the rocks. The whole house smelled. The one I had was big, a little one may have done better. Thanks!