What is this?

yagerboy

Anyone shed some light on what this is? Came with a tank purchase and not sure if the skimmer cup looking piece goes with it or what.

Their is a ping pong ball in the middle tube so i assume its for measuring circ or flow. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Anyone shed some light on what this is? Came with a tank purchase and not sure if the skimmer cup looking piece goes with it or what.

Their is a ping pong ball in the middle tube so i assume its for measuring circ or flow. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

post-833-131335962876_thumb.jpg

The piece on the left is the skimmer cup. The piece on the right is larger collection cup which allows the skimmer cup to drain into the larger container. The ping pong ball keeps skimmate and back pressure from going up that tube.

A picture or something would really help. However, it sounds like it's either for a skimmer (to keep the cup from overflowing) or a skimmate bucket. In either case, I suspect that the ping-pong ball is used to cut flow off when it rises to a certain level.

Picture is too big to look at all at one time.

Skimate collection container. The ping pong ball shuts of the air outflow when the container is full which will reduce skimming so it won't overflow. I don't think the parts on top actually belong there

Edited by bankyf

Skimate collection container. The ping pong ball shuts of the air outflow when the container is full which will reduce skimming so it won't overflow. I don't think the parts on top actually belong there

Agreed. Skimmate collection container. However, the top parts look like it may be for carbon to help adsorb the skimmate smell.

Combining multiple, redundant threads....

(BTW, yagerboy, you did post a picture, it seems. You did so in a duplicate thread, though, that was created about the same time as the one most of us responded to.) :biggrin: