Formalin - Where can I buy it or who's got it to sell?

Jan

I've gone to 4 stores and no luck. I was even told that it is no longer being manufactuered. Is this true? I'm down to 11 fish from 21 and counting. 7 out of the 11 all appear ill - 4 black and white clowns that I got from Almon, 1 large engineer goby and 2 PJ cardinals. The sick looking ones all have white powdery looking stuff on them. The 4 that don't look sick are my six line wrasse, 2 large chromis (1 of the chromis has been living in the overflow flow the last 3 months) and 1 watchman goby that never comes out of it's rock except when it's hungry.

QT is set up and my main tank is in ruins trying to catch the fish. I was able to find copper safe and I have prazi pro. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jan

This really is a shame. I had some formalin, but it must have been with the chemicals I threw away before I moved, because I can't find it anywhere after having just dug through a couple of closets and several bins looking for it. Some vendor has got to have some.

(edited)

I just learned that Rid Ich Plus is formaldehyde (formalin) and malachite green.

http://www.petsmart....oductId=2752408

Many years ago when my fish all had oodinium, I did formalin dips 3 days in a row, and had just copper in the treatment tank. None of the fish died from the disease, but an angel died because the tang slashed its side.

Edited by treesprite

they sold the actual "formalin" at the marine scene a couple months ago, might try giving them a call.

(edited)

I was looking for it awhile back also. Only thing I could find was something called Quick Cure made by API, ingredients say Formalin, Malachite Green. I would guess they don't make just Formalin anymore, call around to older fish stores, especially places like Super Petz or Roozens, and see if any is on the shelf.

Edited by Big Country

I spoke to my wife after reading this "Use of Formalin to Control Fish Parasites". She is a LVT and a wiz at conversion calculations. She has calculated that 11.4 ml of a 10% formalin solution diluted into a gallon of freshwater will give you the short-term bath concentration of 250 mg/l recommended in the linked article from the University Of Florida. Feel free to check the math. All of that to say, if you need it I can get you a jar or two and inquire about ordering some for the next shipment. Let me know.

I'm sorry I've not gotten back to everyone who has offered to give me formalin and for those that gave me some really good sound advice. Thank you. Without your help and advice I would not have been able to save the few fish I have left.

Jan

Thanks Melissa, I got a bottle from another member just a few days ago. So far it's working. I have enough for the small tank I'm using. However I will need to replenish my livestock when I've got this under control. So I'll be visiting you, BRK and F&F soon.

Jan

We do carry the Formalin and have 6 bottles available if you still are in need. I hope your fishes are getting better!

Melissa

Wish I had known MS had formalin. Though maybe it wasn't pure enough. When I was 'fixing' AEFW specimens for DNA studies, I had to have someone ship it to me.

It is just hard to get, unless you are an institution (school, etc.). And even getting denatured alcohol is a challenge - they put 'gasoline' in it, so people can't drink it.

Both items used to be available at the corner drugstore - no questions asked. Of course - you could get an ounce of mercury then, too.

bob