Tom's 11.4 Reef Build

one piece of advice...do all the work on the tank and make sure it looks good.  From my experience, my wife viewed the idea of "her" tank as the tank I maintain for her to pick corals for, instead of the tank that she occasionally worked on :)

I would listen to Roni, his advice always comes full circle on me.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, YHSublime said:

LoL. OG brother. Looking good!

Thanks buddy! Still going strong....the dropoff is now a freshwater tank and now thinking I'm gonna upgrade this tank, or a new one, to SPS.

24 minutes ago, ImGoingCoastal said:

Looks awesome! Still using the sol?

-A-a-ron

Oh no I retired that a couple of years ago....current have an AI Prime on this one, thinking of going to Radion.

We've been running the tank without a controller since 2015....since we're going on our honeymoon in a week, I installed an Apex to take care of everything. Makes life a lot easier! I added the autofeeder which is essential as we'll be gone 3 weeks....also ordered some upgraded MP10 quiet drives and the Apex wireless unit so we should be all set from an equipment standpoint. Although, we've been running the AI Prime for about 2 years now....huge upgrade over the Sol, but I'm really thinking about that Radion!

1.jpg

1 hour ago, tpallas said:

We've been running the tank without a controller since 2015....since we're going on our honeymoon in a week, I installed an Apex to take care of everything. Makes life a lot easier! I added the autofeeder which is essential as we'll be gone 3 weeks....also ordered some upgraded MP10 quiet drives and the Apex wireless unit so we should be all set from an equipment standpoint. Although, we've been running the AI Prime for about 2 years now....huge upgrade over the Sol, but I'm really thinking about that Radion!

Are you still in the same area? I move across Glebe. In case of emergency I'm around. 

Tank looks good now. Don't catch the SPS bug!

12 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Are you still in the same area? I move across Glebe. In case of emergency I'm around. 

^^ Do this. All should go well, but since you just added something (the controller), it would be a good idea to have somebody look in on it a few times while you're gone.

Do you ever trim that toadstool? I have one in my frag tank that I picked up years ago from gioNVA as a nickel-sized frag. I've fragged it a few times over the years (mostly for FragFest) as it was getting to be huge at a foot across. Then, last year, I took a chance and fragged it both circumferentially and by cutting horizontally through the stalk to create two 3-1/2" bases. I wanted to know if the completely polyp-less base would grow new polyps. And I'll be darned if, after a few weeks, it didn't start pushing up new polyps. Lesson learned: They're crazy resilient.

1.thumb.jpg.d42cf111b8c3accc29576ba347adf07a.jpg
That is a gorgeous little tank!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I agree, stunning little tank and I applaud you for not packing it with lots of coral. On the other hand you should upgrade, we need more sps lovers around the club :)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
I agree, stunning little tank and I applaud you for not packing it with lots of coral. On the other hand you should upgrade, we need more sps lovers around the club default_smile.png

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Thanks! And - this tank is my break from SPS! Will probably set up a dedicated SPS tank sometime in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah man - same apartment building. We’ve been on our honeymoon for nearly 3 weeks now....the new Neptune system I installed is taking care of everything. I’ve been a SPS guy for a long time, just taking a break.

^^ Do this. All should go well, but since you just added something (the controller), it would be a good idea to have somebody look in on it a few times while you're gone.

Do you ever trim that toadstool? I have one in my frag tank that I picked up years ago from gioNVA as a nickel-sized frag. I've fragged it a few times over the years (mostly for FragFest) as it was getting to be huge at a foot across. Then, last year, I took a chance and fragged it both circumferentially and by cutting horizontally through the stalk to create two 3-1/2" bases. I wanted to know if the completely polyp-less base would grow new polyps. And I'll be darned if, after a few weeks, it didn't start pushing up new polyps. Lesson learned: They're crazy resilient.

Yeah - I need to crop him back. It’s a beautiful coral but getting too big for the small tank. In fact if anyone wants free cuttings I’ll give them out when I get back. Gotta make room for a yellow leather.

• 1 month later...