Website using a picture of my old tank

On the one hand, nice to see your tank is appreciated. On the other hand, it's pretty much crap that they're using without permission. Maybe you can get some supplies for your new tank in return ;)

I just saw this. I'm the owner of SaltwaterAquarium.com, I apologize for using that image, it was removed immediately. We saw it on reeftools.com and thought it looks sooooooo nice it had to be a Solana stock image. I'm so sorry for the mix up.

On a side note, it was a beautiful setup.

Thanks,

SAQ

I just saw this. I'm the owner of SaltwaterAquarium.com, I apologize for using that image, it was removed immediately. We saw it on reeftools.com and thought it looks sooooooo nice it had to be a Solana stock image. I'm so sorry for the mix up.

Thanks,

SAQ

This is awesome, nice to see an honest vendor with such a rapid response.

Awesome. If anyone has images they would like the world to see I've love to have some. Just email them to Sales@SaltwaterAquarium.com

I plan on building a custom customer tank gallery.

Thanks,

SAQ

I don't care if you use the picture. I was flattered and thought it was cool. Wish I still had the tank!

Maybe I should use it to help sell the extra Solana I have. :biggrin:

Can't hurt! A few people have asked about the setup and where they can buy one. I keep pointing them in your direction.

I don't care if you use the picture. I was flattered and thought it was cool. Wish I still had the tank

A little late to this, but you should ALWAYS care when someone uses your images without your express permission (as should anyone else). This company is advertising their products (in other words, making money) using your image and there's no reason you shouldn't be given compensation for selling a product for them. An accountant wouldn't go around giving businesses free tax statements, photographers (amateur or otherwise) should consider themselves likewise - pro bono is for those who can't afford the service Flattery is nice, but wouldn't some extra cash for corals or the baby be nicer?

While I appreciate saltwateraquarium.com's owner for apologizing and taking the photo down until permission was granted, as a photographer that depends on making a living through the sale and use of my photos, I want to make it clear that photographs are no different than selling a fish or piece of aquarium equipment: it is a property exchange as defined by law. By stealing photographs off the internet without getting the required permissions, you are taking someone's livelihood away. You would take issue if I stole aquarium equipment from someone - so why is stealing photographs from them any better? Photograph copyright infringement settles in court for $2,500 - $25,000 per photo in a recently upheld federal case. Please keep this in mind the next time you choose to use a photograph - find the creator of the photo and ask permission or you could (and rightfully should) wind up on the wrong side of an expensive lawsuit.

A little late to this, but you should ALWAYS care when someone uses your images without your express permission (as should anyone else). This company is advertising their products (in other words, making money) using your image and there's no reason you shouldn't be given compensation for selling a product for them. An accountant wouldn't go around giving businesses free tax statements, photographers (amateur or otherwise) should consider themselves likewise - pro bono is for those who can't afford the service Flattery is nice, but wouldn't some extra cash for corals or the baby be nicer?

While I appreciate saltwateraquarium.com's owner for apologizing and taking the photo down until permission was granted, as a photographer that depends on making a living through the sale and use of my photos, I want to make it clear that photographs are no different than selling a fish or piece of aquarium equipment: it is a property exchange as defined by law. By stealing photographs off the internet without getting the required permissions, you are taking someone's livelihood away. You would take issue if I stole aquarium equipment from someone - so why is stealing photographs from them any better? Photograph copyright infringement settles in court for $2,500 - $25,000 per photo in a recently upheld federal case. Please keep this in mind the next time you choose to use a photograph - find the creator of the photo and ask permission or you could (and rightfully should) wind up on the wrong side of an expensive lawsuit.

+1

could have said it any better. I also find it surprising that the owner found this tread the same day you posted. Weird?

I couldn't agree more with the 2 above comments. As a designer I have to deal with the same problem and I know exactly what u mean.

I don't care if you use the picture. I was flattered and thought it was cool. Wish I still had the tank!

Nice, congrats.

I wouldn't care either if I were you. I would also feel flattered and think it was cool.

Different opinions for people in different fields. I would feel differently if I were a professional photographer and actually losing money, but I'm not. And neither are you.