Matt's 180 Tank Build

(edited)

Hello everyone,

This past spring, I combined my original 54G corner reef and 90G reef to create my current 180G reef display tank. I have predominantly softies (leathers, ricordia, mushrooms, zoas, xenia, GSP etc), but I also have a variety of monti caps and a couple LPS (trumpets). I'm guessing 90% of my corals have come from WAMAS, CMAS, or other local reefers.

As far as invert inhabitants, I have a variety of hermits, nerite snails, nassarius snails, cerith snails, turbo snails, 3 cleaner shrimps, 1 fire shrimp, 3 peppermint shrimps, and a large RBTA.

My current fish include a swiss guard basslett, midas blenny, pygmy hawk fish, hippo tang, 2 bangaii cardinals, 2 clowns, 3 zebra dartfish, 2 purple firefish, green clown goby, and a yellow blenny. My blue spotted jawfish died in an overflow incident after my blue hippo kept attacking him.

I use basic equipment for maintaining my aquarium. For flow, I have 4 koralia evolution 1400 power heads and a Mag 12 return pump. The lighting is a Nova Extreme Pro 72" T5 light fixture. I purchased an awesome moon lights on eBay for about $50. I reused my original homemade 30G sump with baffled refugium. I also have a Tunze ATO to make life easy. For filtration, I'm using cheato and Chemi-Pure Elite. I purchased a skimmer from Avast, but it's not here yet. I also have a BRS Media Reactor that I plan to run GFO.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Matt

Edited by dmatt56

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

4589906b-809e-1647.jpg

4589906b-80ae-2700.jpg

4589906b-80bc-22d0.jpg

4589906b-80c6-cd8e.jpg

4589906b-80da-f7b5.jpg

4589906b-80e8-6cab.jpg

4589906b-80f3-fc59.jpg

4589906b-8101-6385.jpg

4589906b-810a-a0ac.jpg

4589906b-8122-4e22.jpg

Finally an update after one year of being integrated!

Current fish:

Watanabe angel

Spotter blue jawfish

Swiss guard basslett

Yellow tang

Purple file fish

Trio zebra bar fish

Mandarin

Yellow midas Benny

Clown goby

Citron Benny

Pygmy hawkfish

Chromis

2 clowns

Bangaii male

Inverts:

Snails

Hermits

FL conch

Blue star

Purple urchin

Rbta

Cleaner shrimp

Corals:

Softies

Lps

Monti caps

Hope you enjoyed the update!

Matt

The GHA is killing me, Dave. Plan to add a phosphate remover tomorrow. Worse case scenario, I add a sea hare.

I'd like to add LED lighting, but don't know what the equivalent for T5 on a "softy" tank would be.

Most of my future plans are new additions. We saw the Coral Reef at the IMAX today, and my wife told me she liked the cleaner shrimp and goby combo. I'd like to add a trio of Bartlett Anthias.

And, I'm trying to get the guts to split my RBTA, it's getting huge!

Matt

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Newest addition from the Divers Den last week: Fathead Starburst Anthias

4589906b-8e10-ce1a.jpg

Newest FREE addition tonight: breeding clownfish!!! They don't mind the GHA.

4589906b-8e1a-970b.jpg

Edited by dmatt56

I'd like to add LED lighting, but don't know what the equivalent for T5 on a "softy" tank would be.

And, I'm trying to get the guts to split my RBTA, it's getting huge!

I happen to know someone with a 180g DIY LED setup that might be willing to sell it. Would be more than enough light for your tank. Let me know if you want more info.

And I don't think you can split the RBTA, they have to split on their own don't they?

I happen to know someone with a 180g DIY LED setup that might be willing to sell it. Would be more than enough light for your tank. Let me know if you want more info.

And I don't think you can split the RBTA, they have to split on their own don't they?

Now why would you want to curse someone else with LEDs?

You can split RBTAs, but it's delicate and you need to be careful. Ask Chip (flowerseller)......he's done it before.

• 7 months later...

Hello everyone

I decided to post some updated pictures of my 180 soft coral, sps, and lps tank.

Few changes: RBTA is gone and I've added a few new fish. The blue spotted jawfish died (starved I think) and a wrasse jumped out in the 10 minutes the screen was off the top when I checked the overflows for the jawfish. I found it dried out the next day since I didn't realize it jumped out. The new large wrasse is one of my favorite fish. I'm anxious to hear your comments.

Matt

tuqu6epa.jpg

aqy2utaj.jpg

a7uqequz.jpg

jadyvypa.jpg

yreqanu4.jpg

• 7 months later...

Quick update everyone...

Just added a harem of Carbettyi Anthias

1 male and 5 females from divers den

Posted Image

Also, Here's my pair of orange back wrasses that I got earlier in the year..

Posted Image

I like it too!

I prefer LPs and softies....great color and don't look like sticks,lol but it's always a personal preference....

When I do anothe large tank it wil be with mainly softies and corallimorphs.....

I've considered switching to LEDs, but I'm scared they would be overkill.

I wonder if we will start seeing more mid-tier LEDs that target softies and LPS in the future.

I've got 2 of the d120s over my 3ft long 50g....lots of lps and softies in mine...I love em! My tanks has stayed at 76 even on the hottest days we've had so far , though it is downstairs but does get afternoon sun through the sliding glass doors....

• 5 months later...