Mail Order Fish?

Martyd

(edited)

I am setting up a nano reef using some of the the live rock from my dad's tank that I sold last month. Are there any good places to mail order fish? Prices locally seem to have gotten out of control :(

Thanks.

Marty

Bow front tank (I think it's 24 gallons)

standard.jpg

Tunze skimmer (works great if you get the water level right)

standard.jpg

Auto top off

standard.jpg

Lights (not sure if I'm sold on LED's yet)

standard.jpg

Edited by Martyd

Have you checked out LiveAquaria.com? I have had a good success rate with them and they offer the best 14 day guarantee.

You might want to consider become a club member so you would have access to our for sale section. There is always some great deals on livestock in that section. Also, if you become a member most local vendors offer a 10% discount on livestock for WAMAS members. That savings can pay for the membership in no time.

I am setting up a nano reef using some of the the live rock from my dad's tank that I sold last month. Are there any good places to mail order fish? Prices locally seem to have gotten out of control :(

Thanks.

Marty

I've probably ordered or been part of group buys a dozen times. My two favorite are Live Aquaria and Blue Zoo. However, depending on the amount you are looking to spend you may pay more for a fish after shipping that you don't get see before hand.

Nothing beats being able to walk into a LFS pick a healthy looking fish and take it home 10 minutes later. Waiting for packages and taking the time off work is always too stressful.

I've probably ordered or been part of group buys a dozen times. My two favorite are Live Aquaria and Blue Zoo. However, depending on the amount you are looking to spend you may pay more for a fish after shipping that you don't get see before hand.

Nothing beats being able to walk into a LFS pick a healthy looking fish and take it home 10 minutes later. Waiting for packages and taking the time off work is always too stressful.

Agree. I've found Fins and Feathers to have comparable prices to mail order. Plus, Sean quarantines. I've used Live Aquaria in the past with success as well.

I always had good experiences with Live Aquaria too, and thanks again for the tank! I just got the last of the equipment hooked up, can't wait to see how everything grows out.

I've had great success with fish I've purchased from BRK, Fins & Feathers, WAMAS members and well as Liveaquaria. 90% of my livestock came from WAMAS members and our sponsoring vendors. 10% came from Liveaquaria but some died and I got replacements from LA because they died within the first 14 days. I've not lost any of the other fish I purchased here. The $20/00/yr WAMAS membership fee pays for itself very quickly.

Welcome to WAMAS.

You might want to consider some other way of supporting the ends of your lights than on glass. Setting lights directly on glass can make the glass break from heat, then the lights end up in the water (has happened to me an to others).