Tank Tours 2011

flowerseller

I'm planning to open my home to show my currently ailing 400g system on a Sunday afternoon TBD this summer.

I live in McLean VA and plan to get a couple others in McLean to do it the same day.

This way, folks could ride from house to house and check out a couple tanks in an afternoon.

I'll also have a goal to get my tank back in shape. ( I hope, it's looking pretty shabby right now )

This is not a competition, it's merely a way to let folks see some different tanks, get some working ideas or even make some suggestions.

If you're interested in showing your set up as well, please let me know.

I'll serve as the organizer of Summer Tank Tours for 2011 and help organize tanks in like areas so others can visit several nearby tanks in an afternoon.

I'd be absolutely down to show off my tank, my 120 gallon in-wall is going up over the next few months and should be really well established by summertime. I'm in the Bethesda area.

Bump for an awesome idea!

The key is to identify folks willing to show their tanks.

Group them together via location.

pick days for each location and announce it.

My tank is hurting from neglect lately but I'm still showing.

I'm showing good or bad because we've all been there and I'm not trying to win,

just socialize and show my tank at the same time.

It's a drop by thing. You come by anytime during the tour and stay as long as you like.

It can be five minutes or the whole time that house is open.

It's a blast and from someone who's been in the hobby since 84, I still learn ideas from people visiting

during my tank tour.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning to open my home to show my currently ailing 400g system on a Sunday afternoon TBD this summer.

Beverages... :cool:

If this happens, I'll have beer and snacks for you if you come visit me.

The tank has been looking pretty good lately, but no comments on my stand...... I haven't had time to finish it yet.

ANY and ALL tanks are up for it.

It's about showing your tank for people to see, some will offer suggestions, some will learn, others will slap their forehead wondering why they didn't think to do it the way you are.

It's a great time and you always learn something.

Sometimes we just party after wards.

I'll start grouping them once we get a few more offers and contact groups to see what day works.

Then we announce it and wait for them to happen.

Some people go to them all, others hit the ones that are of interest to them.

Some just come for the snacks and socialize.

It's a drop by thing, whether you're there 10 minutes or 2 hours, that's up to you.

If this works out at a time I can host, I'd be happy to provide a picture and a short blurb if you are putting anything like that together as part of a "program" or something.

What does it cost to rent a party bus? Our significant others could drop us off at a central location then pick up whatever is left at the end of the day.

Here's an idea, why dont all the willing people post a picture of the tank so that others can get a preview to see which locations they want to visit. You can post your picture HERE hehe :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Edited by FearTheTerps

Chip, you can add me to the list of the tank tour (based on my location in DC, I probably fit better in an Alexandria/Arlington group than a DC group).

Bill, Last year about this time when I was looking at party busses for a potential Dr. Mac trip, they ran from ~800 (for an un-airconditioned school bus) to 1400+ for 6-8 hours of time not including tip/tolls. With gas prices being the way they are, I would expect those numbers to be higher now.

• 2 weeks later...

I think a party bus may end up being a little pricey but I can definitely pick up some people who are further south on my way up to whichever tank tour is decided on. You have to share a car with my wife and relatively well behaved 1 yr old. I have 2 relatively comfortable spots but can squeeze in 4 if need be.

Also, and just a suggestion. Maybe we could have an order. i.e go to tank A between 10-12, tank b 11-1, tank c 12-2. That way the people showing their tanks can also join in the festivities and it's a better way to meet the other club members then just having each tank available the entire time.

^ +1 I think it would be good to have a schedule, just as roni said. This way even the hosts can join in on the tour. This ought to make it easier for people to carpool if needed, or it will also be good for those that dont want to go to house A,B, C etc.