I'm to lazy to scrape my tank thread

Guest tgallo

Y'all have way too much time on your hands if you can clean the glass for 2-3 hours every 2 weeks. I don't see how you manage to fit the time in regularly.

Also, Tony told me that he has to get the top half of his body in the tank w/ a diving mask & snorkle. That must be a trip B) .

Guest Leishman

Who said I had time to do it? I gave up much needed sleep to get it done! If I use the magfloat every other day for 2 minutes this doesn't happen.

Guest hmoore

Since I have an in-wall, I have decided to just let the back and sides go purple. And I would say that I am almost 90% there. I guess that I'll be able to remove the background soon.

I found out that I actually have a coraline aglae magnetic scraper. It looks just like the scaper with the pad on it, except instead of a pad it has two razor blades. I tried it out, cleaned the entire front of my tank with easy in less than 10 minutes, and that was with taking me time :)

Glass tank, obviously.

I found out that I actually have a coraline aglae magnetic scraper.  It looks just like the scaper with the pad on it, except instead of a pad it has two razor blades.  I tried it out, cleaned the entire front of my tank with easy in less than 10 minutes, and that was with taking me time :)

Let's have some make & model here buddy. :)

Guest Leishman
Let's have some make & model here buddy. :)

31791[/snapback]

Bump on the make & model question

Folta ... pleaseeeeee make and model

Tony .. any pictures after the clean up?

Luke - time? you can me a 25 hour day out of a regular day, just wake up at in the middle of the night and you will see what I'm talking about.. :D

I clean my tank every other day with the magnet and still have to scrape coraline every week. maybe I am doing something wrong or my skimmer is not working properly. I don't know but I'm open to suggestions.

ok, the brand is 'Penn Plax'. here's some shots of it:

These first two are the backside of each piece:

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

and this one is the picture of the blade half:

blade.jpg

Hi Folta,

Is that the same as Mag-Float type of cleaner? I was about to order a Mag-Float magnetic glass cleaner . Now I saw your post, and think it may be better getting the one you are using. Tow questions though,

1. How thick of glass it supports? I am running a 58g tank.

2. Any sign of scratching the glass?

Thanks,

--Tom

I have a 55 gallon, the magnet seemed to hold strong. I would suspect it would do for most tanks, but not really certain. It doesn't float if I were to pull the magnet away from the tank and let the inside piece drop.

I have a magnetic algae cleaner that has the little pad on the inside piece as well. That was a pain to use for the coraline. I also have two handheld scrapers (one with an edge, one with a algae scrub pad) and it wasn't doing much. The blade one just glided right along and made the glass look very very nice. I looked for scratches afterwards too, especially in the spot that I accidentally let the magnet go sideways and pulled imagine turning your razor blade sideways, yet pulling in the same direction that you were pulling). - not any sign of scratching as far as I can see.

It seems pretty inexpensive, and isn't as good as the pad one if you're just getting rid of diatoms.. personally I am glad to have one of each (the pad one also acts as my holder for nori for the tang and wrasse).

Hope that helps!

Guest Leishman

Check out this puppy!

magscraperx.jpg

Go HERE and select Mag Scraper on the left.

Folta,

It sounds I still need two type of cleaner. One for diatom and the other one for coraline. If I clean the tank regularly, might be able to avoid coraline buildup.

Thanks for your comments.

--Tom

Folta,

It sounds I still need two type of cleaner. One for diatom and the other one for coraline. If I clean the tank regularly, might be able to avoid coraline buildup.

Thanks for your comments.

--Tom

• 4 weeks later...
Guest alex wlazlak

you guys got any upgraded pictures of the tanks since scraped?thats kinda rediculous that you cant scrape off the stuff on the inside of a beautifull tank...:/

Guest alex wlazlak

im only now starting to get coraline after oh probly a year, but its crowing nicly on the rocks, not too much on the glass.i guess thats a good thing...welll i see how much you guys like it! ;)