Heater Recall

Grav

I just called United Pet Group at the 800 number listed above. The representative there said that it is possible that the people at PetSmart have an early version of the withdrawal notice that they are working from which left off the 150W version. If you take the letter that was linked to above, you may be able to get them to take back your 150's, too.

In asking about my own case, I asked if the withdrawal affected my 50W old style Stealth heater. They said that the 50W heaters were not affected, but that I could get it replaced (through them), too, if I felt it in any way unsafe to continue using. The replacement heater is from their Visitherm line.

The representative did ask for lot numbers (which are printed on the heaters), and I explained that some of our heaters are so old that the screened-on information has worn away and is no longer visible. She said that this would not prevent them from replacing the heaters, but if I had the numbers, it's just information that they're collecting with the action.

She confirmed that UPG will pick up the cost of shipping the heaters back (they're using FedEx Ground now, not UPS).

accordign to my local petsmart, marineland simply is reimbursing them retail cost of the heaters that the refund. so i got 30 for my 100w and 40 for my 250w heater. they had to look up the pricing off the recall sheet, but they did not need receipts or anything. I just put heaters on the table, and walked out with cash.

i probably should have called the 800 number for the 250w heater as their newer heaters are very nice, but for 10 bucks less i got a good replacement so not too worried.

so tom prepare to make quite a pretty penny off your stash if you want to.

Yeah, I just went to the petsmart in Rockville and they were really nice about taking the old ones back. They also gave me store credit for the prices of the current stealth pro equivalents (even though I only had the older stealth models). Did they really give you cash? Cash or credit, I'm pretty stoked!

My PetSmart was pretty open to the exchange options. I had the 100w Pro and a 100w Stealth. I took a print out of both announcements - PetSmart and UPG. I explained that the older 100w was not on the PetSmart announcement, but it was in the UPG list. They said I could exchange for another 100w they had in stock, get credit, or get cash back. I just went with credit since I was getting stuff. I was given 32.99 each. I was pleased with the process. Especially since the 100w Stealth had been out of service for a few months - used it in my mixing barrel and it caused shocks.

i received cash, but getting store credit for the more expensive version is a nice deal. iirc the pros were 5-10 more bucks then the equiv old stealths.

• 4 weeks later...

Update. I received these heaters a couple of weeks ago via Fed Ex. To return my old heaters, I was instructed just to put them in the box and to leave the box out on my doorstep. Fed Ex picked it up two days later. It ouldn't have been an easier exchange.

IMAG0131.jpg

Guest thefishman65

When I called them up they did not ask me to return them so maybe it depends on who you talk to or maybe the rules changed. They just took the lot numbers and sent me two new ones like the pictures above.

• 2 weeks later...

^^that's the original stealth heater. It was more reliable than the newer stealth pro heaters which caused most of the trouble. The newer stealth pro had a clear knob on top that lit up when the heater was on. From the failure reports that I was reading, I suspect that the seal between the top light assembly and the body of the heater failed, letting water inside and causing the casing to explode.

• 4 weeks later...

I received an "Urgent Safety Alert" from United Pet Group today regarding the recall of both the older Stealth and newer Stealth Pro models FOR ALL WATTAGES from 25W to 300W. This recall is expanded from the recall we heard about earlier.

I'm going to attach a PDF of the letter that I received, but will summarize what was included in the letter.

Approximately 1,162,000 are being recalled due to 38 reports of fire and 45 reports of broken aquarium glass, including one consumer eye injury. The explanation given is that there may be a wiring problem that causes the heater to overheat or break during normal operation.

The recall is voluntary but is being conducted in cooperation with the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Stealth heater models affected: 25W, 50w, 75W, 100W, 150W, 200W, and 250W.

Stealth Pro heater models affected: 25W, 50W, 75W, 100W, 150W, 200W, 250W, and 300W.

Pictures of each heater type are included in the letter on the off-chance that you don't know what to look for.

If you own one or more of these, they ask you to contact UPG directly at 800) 338-4896 between 7:30 am and 5:30 pm ET, M-F.

Stealth Heater Recall.pdf