Ichy battle...

encideought

No idea how it got ich as I haven't added any fish, or corals in several months!

It might have been in the system all this time but the fish's immune system kept it from getting out of control. Stress of moving rocks might have caused it. Also, this time of year thank temps can drop and the fast change to cooler temps can cause fish to stress and ich to take hold.

Can you describe the signs?

Sure. Looks like someone poured salt on the fish. The clown also occasionally rubs up against the sandbed or piece of rock.

It might have been in the system all this time but the fish's immune system kept it from getting out of control. Stress of moving rocks might have caused it. Also, this time of year thank temps can drop and the fast change to cooler temps can cause fish to stress and ich to take hold.

Must have been in the system this whole time. Last time I added a fish was 5 months ago. Temp has been steady at 79 this whole time per the APEX. When I do a water change it may drop to 78, but that's the lowest it'll drop.

has everything wet being qt'd and/or treated prior to being put into this system? if not, then it's likely be in your system this whole time and just now reared its head. what are your plans given how things look most recently?

has everything wet being qt'd and/or treated prior to being put into this system? if not, then it's likely be in your system this whole time and just now reared its head. what are your plans given how things look most recently?

They were not QT'd.  I'll just up the feedings for a bit, and continue with water changes for the time being.  I'll be upgrading from this 30 gallon to a 57 gallon in 3 months or so.  Between now and then either the fish will shake this cycle of ich off, or it won't.

Still can't believe it has gone undetected for this long! 

Edited by Orion

• 3 weeks later...

They were not QT'd. I'll just up the feedings for a bit, and continue with water changes for the time being. I'll be upgrading from this 30 gallon to a 57 gallon in 3 months or so. Between now and then either the fish will shake this cycle of ich off, or it won't.

Still can't believe it has gone undetected for this long!

It turns out that this clown and the jawfish have had words occasionally. The jawfish retaliates by spitting sand at the clown in which the sand sometimes sticks onto the fish. So it wasn't ich out of nowhere. Just sand.

• 1 month later...

How long will white spots stay on the fish if it is ich? Is it a few hours or a more than day ?

Thanks!

How long will white spots stay on the fish if it is ich? Is it a few hours or a more than day ?

Thanks!

You can only see ich on the fish during the trophont stage. This is when the parisite is attatched to the fish and eating, and I believe the time frame is 3-7 days, this is the only stage in the cycle in which you can visibly see ich.

• 3 months later...