New Hanna Alkalinity checker

Origami

John, have you received the new Hanna alkalinity checkers - the ones that use a liquid rather than a powder reagent? Hanna USA was to begin distributing them about a week ago.

They were still in testing at Hanna US as of yesterday. Evidently there was a delay in shipping to them.

More delays... whowudathunkit? :blink: Let's hope they're closer than they were when they projected a June 2010 delivery last Spring.

More delays... whowudathunkit? :blink: Let's hope they're closer than they were when they projected a June 2010 delivery last Spring.

Well, the reason why we are having problems with the alk checker is all because they rushed it! SO I would be patient. I have sent my stock back and hope to have the new ones in a few weeks, I will post when I have them. Any one that has bought them from BRK needs to register online with Hanna and they will send the new ones right to you. As of right now I know xabo and banky are registered.

john

Edited by johnnybv

Well, the reason why we are having problems with the alk checker is all because they rushed it! SO I would be patient. I have sent my stock back and hope to have the new ones in a few weeks, I will post when I have them. Any one that has bought them from BRK needs to register online with Hanna and they will send the new ones right to you. As of right now I know xabo and banky are registered.

john

Thanks, John. I've been in touch with them already about another matter. They're very, very close and are doing some final checks on everything. There are a lot of people waiting for this one.

Just recieved this from Hanna.

Thank you for your continued support and interest in our products. Recently you registered on our site to receive an upgrade kit for your HI 755 Marine Alkalinity Checker. We have started shipping the upgrade kits today, and we expect to have completed shipping by Wednesday.

Since you have provided an email address, you will be receiving a notification from UPS with your tracking number. If you have not received a tracking number by Thursday, please let me know.

The Kit includes:

1. Additional cuvettes and caps.

2. New liquid reagents and a syringe.

3. A modification to the instructions to account for the incorporation of the liquid reagents.

Our research and development team conducted numerous tests and determined liquid reagents produce more accurate results over wider alkalinity ranges. In addition, we have reduced the measurement time to less than 30 seconds because the liquid reagents do not possess the same solubility issues as the powder reagents

As always, please contact us at any time for any questions or feedback.

Nice. Thank you. I hope that the new liquid reagent is packaged in something other than a flat, rectangular packet. LOL. Seriously, I know that one of the changes they're looking into is moving to a tube-like package for reagents so that it's easier to pour into the cuvette.

• 4 weeks later...

John, I see that Hanna's got these up for sale now, as well as some other online vendors. Do you have it in stock yet? You've got my business.

John, I see that Hanna's got these up for sale now, as well as some other online vendors. Do you have it in stock yet? You've got my business.

Yep I have them, thanks

John

Thanks, John. I tried out the new Alkalinity Checker today and just love it. It's quick and accurate. I tried it on 2 successive tests and the results were within 0.06 dKH. Now, it reads in ppm CaCO3 instead of dKH or meq/l (which many of us are used to), but the conversion is straightforward enough. I'm attaching a JPG of a conversion table that tabulates dKH and meq/l by ppm CaCO3 in hopes that it might be helpful to others. It's sized so that when it's trimmed closely, it will fit inside the lid of the Checker's case.

Thanks again!

(Here's an image of the table. The download is below. Click the attached thumbnail at the bottom and save it.)

gallery_2631296_685_63238.jpg

post-2631296-129461566179_thumb.jpg

Thanks, John. I tried out the new Alkalinity Checker today and just love it. It's quick and accurate. I tried it on 2 successive tests and the results were within 0.06 dKH. Now, it reads in ppm CaCO3 instead of dKH or meq/l (which many of us are used to), but the conversion is straightforward enough. I'm attaching a JPG of a conversion table that tabulates dKH and meq/l by ppm CaCO3 in hopes that it might be helpful to others. It's sized so that when it's trimmed closely, it will fit inside the lid of the Checker's case.

Thanks again!

(Here's an image of the table. The download is below. Click the attached thumbnail at the bottom and save it.)

gallery_2631296_685_63238.jpg

Thanks

• 12 years later...

Blast from the past, but many years ago I printed out Tom's alkalinity chart that he put up here, but I lost it at some point when I wasn't in the hobby.  I went looking for it on the google and found it on this post again.

Thanks, Tom and Johnny!

28 minutes ago, AlanM said:

Blast from the past, but many years ago I printed out Tom's alkalinity chart that he put up here, but I lost it at some point when I wasn't in the hobby.  I went looking for it on the google and found it on this post again.

Thanks, Tom and Johnny!

You're welcome. I still refer to the chart when using my Hanna Alk Checker. For me, it's their best and most frequently sold checker.

I agree.  I use the alk checker and the ULR phosphate checker.

I had some very old reagent this morning that I thought might still work. I kind of doubt that that I have only 24ppm carbonate on a tank filled with Reef Crystals water at 35ppt salinity, though, lol.

Good idea to check expiration dates.