steveoutlaw's 150g cube

steveoutlaw

Ok, so everything was going great with my 60g cube and then......I ran out of room. So do you sell corals or upgrade? Well those of you who know me have already figured it out - I upgraded. But this time, I did it right. I had Miracles build me a 150g 36x36x27 rimless cube. I had some generous WAMAS members help me get it on the unfinished stand and I'm currently working on getting the sump ready (I'm putting the sump inside of the tank like an all-in-one). I am also currently having Reef Dynamics (formerly Euro-reef) build me a custom skimmer to fit the sump and handle the water volume. Here are a couple of pictures of the tank. I'll be working on getting the stand skinned and the sump ready and in place this weekend.

Tank on stand:

150gCube001.jpg

With 60g behind it for some perspective:

150gCube002.jpg

More to come later.

Edited by steveoutlaw

Steve.

Why would you take up so much of that real estate with a AIO set up. You have so much room underneath and with a full 36x36 footprint think of all the aquascaping choices you have. Put a 1500 gph glass holes in one of the corners and your good to go

^a HUGE +1

You have such a beautiful and clean rimless look, it seems that maintaining this look will be significantly easier if you use the space under the tank...

I love the cube!

Why would you take up so much of that real estate with a AIO set up. You have so much room underneath and with a full 36x36 footprint think of all the aquascaping choices you have. Put a 1500 gph glass holes in one of the corners and your good to go

I think it's to virtually eliminate the possibility of major spills on the floor. The wife just wouldn't understand that....

Looks great Steve..! When will this one be forsale, I call first dibs.. Lookin good, Ill stop by next time im down your way.!

Travis - You'll be the first to know. I'll probably also need a place to sleep because I'll be thrown out with the tank!!

• 2 weeks later...

Travis - You'll be the first to know. I'll probably also need a place to sleep because I'll be thrown out with the tank!!

Well if I buy it Im gonna need a new roommate too.!

Cant wait to see it full..! When are you planning to do that and what kind of aquascaping are you planning.?

Well if I buy it Im gonna need a new roommate too.!

Cant wait to see it full..! When are you planning to do that and what kind of aquascaping are you planning.?

I'm planning on starting to fill it tomorrow........and I'm going to start skinning the stand tomorrow as well.

I'm going to be keeping the same basic aquascape as my current cube, but the arch is going to be bigger and the back wall of rock will be taller. I should be getting the custom skimmer in about 2 weeks so my RS-80 will have to do the work until then.

I'll be adding more pics as I go along.

Well, the tank is filled! I even have some of the rock that has been curing transferred over. I ended up having to shim one side of the stand, but now I have the stand surface level. The sump and sand are in and I have my old RS-80 running (more like running over). Jeff at Reef Dynamics just sent me a pic of the custom skimmer he's building me. I'm hoping to get the refugium added tomorrow. Here are a couple of updated pics:

Front

150gCube001-1.jpg

Side

150gCube002-1.jpg

Stand (still needs a lot of work)

150gCube003.jpg

New skimmer.....this thing is 30" tall and will have a 12" tall neck:

5ODx30T-EPSP3.jpg

More later.

Steve,

do you have a way to black out the overflow so that you can not see the skimmer and pipes? other than that, its coming along nicely.

Well, I have 2 options.........wait until I get the skimmer and then put a thin piece of black acrylic in the sump, or just wait for it to get covered in coraline. Haven't decided yet.

Transfer complete! I got everything moved over yesterday and spent today getting things arranged. I'm still waiting to see if the LEDs are going to be able to keep everything happy. Here are some pics as it stands now:

Front

150gRimlessCube002.jpg

Right Side

150gRimlessCube001.jpg

Left Side

150gRimlessCube004.jpg

And tightly packed under the stand

150gRimlessCube003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

The new skimmer is here!! This thing is already breaking in!! Here are a few pics:

Well packed

150gRimlessCube008.jpg

Bubblewrapped

150gRimlessCube009.jpg

All parts

150gRimlessCube010.jpg

In the sump (kinda hard to see)

150gRimlessCube011.jpg

Just to give you an idea, the tank is 27" tall and this sticks up a good 6" over the top of the tank.

Edited by steveoutlaw

I think steve is just recyling build photos now. Was this something you built back in 2008?!

haha just kidding. Very nice build. Have you done anything with the stand or did you keep it open?

Very nice setup!! That idea of the in tank sump is sweet. I hear ya on avoiding spills to keep the other half happy. I'm planning a tank with the same dimensions so I am tagging along.

What are you using for lighting on this tank? Are you happy with the amount of light with that depth?

What is the water depth in your sump and does that cause issues with getting the water level in the skimmer right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk