Can I put a closed loop pump inside a sump?

zygote2k

I'm working on a tank that has a closed loop Snapper pump suspended from a 2" leaking bulkhead. It's due to be replaced soon. I don't want to use the same method after the repair, so I was thinking about using a big submersible pump that is plumbed into the CL and OM-4 and place it in the sump.

The sump is large enough to accomodate a big pump too. I realize that heat transfer is an issue, but I think I have a few degrees to spare.

Has anyone done something like this?

Does the tank's overflow have the ability to keep up with the "closed loop" pump and the return pump?

Also, with the proposed configuration you describe I'd be concerned about overflowing the sump if the "closed loop" pump stopped working. I expect that the closed loop holes in the tank are well below the tank's water level, so you'd lose a lot of water into the sump during a power/pump failure.

Does the tank's overflow have the ability to keep up with the "closed loop" pump and the return pump?

Also, with the proposed configuration you describe I'd be concerned about overflowing the sump if the "closed loop" pump stopped working. I expect that the closed loop holes in the tank are well below the tank's water level, so you'd lose a lot of water into the sump during a power/pump failure.

I'm not using the water in the sump and the pump will only use water from the CL. It would only be in the sump for space saving reasons and to cool the pump.

You'll add a little heat and you may, depending upon the plumbing and the pump, lose some flow if you you have to twist and turn through more plumbing to get to the sump. Depending upon the pump used, you may also have higher operational costs. The Snapper is pretty efficient (flow/Watt) in a closed loop application.

In the current configuration, the Snapper simply hangs from the ballvalve that is attached to the 2" bulkhead in the bottom of the tank. The bulkhead has leaked directly onto the Snapper causing an early demise. The sump is just below and to the right, so there will be minimal extra plumbing. If I had the room, I'd replace the Snapper with a new one.

I agree it would work, it would just add some heat as was mentioned. Being placed in the sump would make the pump more silent and eliminate any potential issue of a pump leaking since it is already in the sump.