Can we help a fellow member out?

TonyInVa

I'll donate corals for frag fest, I'll also see I I may be able to complete my pico tank and put that up for a prize at frag fest, don't know if I could get it done in time, but tina and I would certainly be willing to donate corals to frag fest

(edited)

I'm in but not sure I'll be at fragfest. One of the clubs raised money for a member who lost a child a while back. I auctioned off a coral on our behalf to help out. My point is that they collected money via paypal. The mony was sent directly to the members paypal account. I'll gladly send money via paypal for this cause. Thank you for doing this.

Edited by Jan

really good idea let me know if you get it together and ill do what i can, id rather see his tank continue rather then split up.

I'll donate $20 to help the dog.

Make sure you guys ask him.. some people don't like help... anyway I'm sure I can find something to donate...

I thought about what I can do for frag fest to help out novi and his bulldog... I'm thinking about selling blue crabs.... I can get them fairly cheap... split it among wamas members take out money for gas and still donate a nice penny.... Anyway need to know asp so I can take off I work sunday... Would you like to have blue crab I will post prices and donation fees tomorow if your intrested please let me know I can fit 5 bushels in my car.... The question is do we need to get them live or steamed? It would be alot easier to get them live as I wouldn't have to drive as far and could take off a half day.... but then do we have the equipment to steam them.... Anyway I will call my "people" you figure out if you want them.

I only have a large steamer pot and a dutch oven... that means like 12-16 crabs 15 mins... 1 bushel equals 6 dozen.... anyway need help if you guys are intersted...oh and I just found out I work 5:30pm-5:30am so 1:30 is a breeze ... THANK YOU XYGOTE FOR THE idea!

Ok so I still havn't heard from the crabber its 6 am... I'm thinking that it would be alot easier for me if I didn't have to cook them... so heres how this is going to work...

First I will take paypal orders up until the deadline of the crabber.

Second I will post prices based on dozen, 1/2 bushel, bushel per size and sex of crab

Third I need Seasoning ammounts he carries 1.5 pound and 3 pound

Lastly I need all your contact info... cell phone number home phone number and wamas name..

******PLEASE NOTE I sometimes the crabber doesn't get the exact order right I will call you in that event to what we can substitute for your order... I.E if he gets 2 bushels of 1# males and 10# of number twos you will be refunded the diffrence. Normally he gets everything. These are coming directly to you no middle man*****

These crabs are coming straight from the eastern shore ... For logistical reasons I won't be able to cook them therefor its take home and eat... I can if we need to have a cooking and eating demonstration do that.. IMO These are the finest shellfish to come from the bay.... I can see what other products he can come by if you don't eat crabs ie fish(maybe).

My job= get crabs keep them alive until the show... all donations are going to go to novi for his pitbull...

Your job paypal, bring ICE!!!!! Trash bags and enjoy!

The best way to transport crabs is in air flowing container with a 2 gallon milk jug full of ice or two depending on how many your getting

If people would like I can delay arrival until 2 that way the crabs won't sit as long, I've driven them 5 plus hours and they all survived...

Having a bad day:( The crabber won't be in annoplis until 2-3 the social starts at 1:30 in mclain... He said I can pick them up on saterday. If anyone is interested at all I will deliver them within springfield or someplace near I-95 as I have to drive through md and northern va to get there...Also because of the July 4th the crab prices are higher then normal. Will try and get competetive advantage...5-20$ donation not included. I called about 4-10 diffrent places and they all want about 150-175 for thier crabs still checking this is a tenative list.

1. number1 125 a bushel 63$ half 22$ a dozen

2. number 2s 90 a bushel 45$ half 16$ a dozen

4. mixed males 65 a bushel 33$ half 11$ a dozen (he says they are light this time of year)

3. females 60 a bushel 30$ half 10.50$ a dozen

Please add a minium of 10$ bushell,8$ half bushell, 3$ a dozen donation fee for the bull dog

I wish I could of gotten the crabs at a lower price so he would of had a 20$ donation per load, but its not in the cards... I'm donating time gas and ice for free. anyway pm away..

If you don't eat crabs or have corals you can auction off I think this is a worthy cause.... and that bulldog is awesome!

Hey everyone. Thank you so much for all the wishes. I got some PM's about Donations for the surgery. I guess I wasn't clear when I explained it. I already forked the money over for her surgery. Money I didnt really have but how do you say no? My dog to me is like my little girl and not just a pet. I know most of you would agree.

Anyways I am in a financial bind right now so thats why I am selling everything. Its really the only choice I have. The Vet bill ran me just a little of $3K for everything. Sucks you cant buy Dog Medical Insurance..heh

But thank you all again so much. Your a great group of people. I am updating my list accordingly with what people want as soon as the PM's come in.

-Chris

3k is alot ....I hope you can eat ramen noodles until things cool down... I will still donate I think its fine to help a wamas member out.. unless you don't want the help... pride/asking for help... anyway how about this... instead of you getting out of the hobby... keep your rodi and wamas can down grade you to a nano for doing the right thing... anyway best wishes Troy

Troy and everyone else, thank you so much. I appreciate it truly. My wife teared up when I told her about all of you and what your willing to do. I will definitely get back into reefing again. I love it too much not to.

I would rather people just get my coral instead of donations. It is more of a pride thing I guess. It would make me feel extremely bad taking money especially in this economy.

Ok I will move the crab post to another window ... hope your bulldog gets better!

I'm very sorry to hear about your best friend. We have lost our last 2 dogs to inoperable tumors so I feel your pain and know the expense that can be incured trying everything posible to save them.

Best of wishes in your efforts, I'll be watching for your post to see how I can helpsmile.gif

Hey everyone. Thank you so much for all the wishes. I got some PM's about Donations for the surgery. I guess I wasn't clear when I explained it. I already forked the money over for her surgery. Money I didnt really have but how do you say no? My dog to me is like my little girl and not just a pet. I know most of you would agree.

Anyways I am in a financial bind right now so thats why I am selling everything. Its really the only choice I have. The Vet bill ran me just a little of $3K for everything. Sucks you cant buy Dog Medical Insurance..heh

But thank you all again so much. Your a great group of people. I am updating my list accordingly with what people want as soon as the PM's come in.

-Chris

Just a heads up for the future, you can buy health insurance for your dog or cat there are companies out there who do it some better than others, if you do the research its possible to find a good policy with decent premiums but typically you have to start when the animal is a puppy or kitten

Troy and everyone else, thank you so much. I appreciate it truly. My wife teared up when I told her about all of you and what your willing to do. I will definitely get back into reefing again. I love it too much not to.

I would rather people just get my coral instead of donations. It is more of a pride thing I guess. It would make me feel extremely bad taking money especially in this economy.

Can we donate corals to you that you can sell?

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an FYI, we had pet insurance and it cost us more to have it than to pay for the bills themselves. It covered so little (VIP Pet Insurance), in fact, that we ended up spending close to $500 after they refused to cover any of the emergency services that we had and the other things that happened. That's $500 over the cost of what we would have paid had we not had insurance.

My dog had double TPLO sugery... one on each knee, about $2500 per leg. Looked into the insurance thing after the 1st leg (they told us to plan for the 2nd to be needed too.) Insurance would not have covered it. Seems like a scam.

Hope the dog does well, good luck with the sale, come back soon.

• 3 months later...

Just as an FYI, we had pet insurance and it cost us more to have it than to pay for the bills themselves. It covered so little (VIP Pet Insurance), in fact, that we ended up spending close to $500 after they refused to cover any of the emergency services that we had and the other things that happened. That's $500 over the cost of what we would have paid had we not had insurance.

I've used 3 different vet insurers. VPI is awful, read AWFUL. I still carry them as one of my dogs has had a policy with them since puppyhood. If we switch to a different insurance provider his conditions (which are numerous would be considered to be pre-existing and we would get nothing). To be fair (which often I'm not), many people who have small dogs don't have a problem with VPI. We don't.. we have mastiffs. They aren't small. So VPI's ridiculous payout schedule is insulting. Our male mastiff had surgery this past spring. The bill was about 3k. VPI reimbursed us $140. His anesthesia bill alone was $400... of which they paid $40. Now maybe a pomeranian can be knocked cold for 40 bucks, but a mastiff sure as heck can't.

Previously I had a shar pei (don't get me started on health issues...) who was insured via the AKC healthcare plan. Better than VPI (3x monthly cost), but again they don't cover congenital issues of which she had aplenty.

At the time there wasn't much in the way of pet insurance providers when I had both dogs. Now there are options available. My female mastiff is insured with trupanion. Expensive, but my research leads me to believe well worth the cost. I haven't submitted a claim with them yet...

Go here. http://www.petinsurancereview.com/

Garrett.

• 3 months later...

Short follow up on Trupanion pet insurance. Less than two weeks after my previous post, my female mastiff became ill with IMHA. Nasty, nasty disease. We were fairly certain that she was not going to make it. She spent 10 days receiving blood transfusions and costly immuno-suppresants at the VEC in Richmond. Her medication upon being discharged was costing us 190/week... and we were told she would be on it for 6-8 months. She also returns to Richmond every two weeks for follow up blood work. So far my wife and I are into her treatment for well into 5 figures. Trupanion has paid out 90% of our claims totals. Unbelievable!

Garrett.