LFS recommendations?

lmeyer

Hi all, new member.

Yes, congressional stock died fish. Being new to the area, before Aquarium One opened, I used to go there all the time and it sickened me. I'm so happy there is a nearby alternative.

I'm getting my toes wet in the reef scene now, and was offered a starter red sea max 34 gallon for $840 at Congressional. Went online, found same tank with starter kit and stand for $750.

Aquarium One even beat that deal.

Great guys, friendly, knowledgeable, and they're recently expanded their Marine selection. If you live in the area, check it out. And wish me luck on my new tank, I'm going to need it! :)

Jeff G.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Ron

+1 for Aquarium One. The crew is great there. Very knowledgable and a few are WAMAS member's. Their prices are reasonable and the do give a WAMAS discount. Dimitri, the owner, has owned/co-owned a few stores in this area. They just expanded their coral section. In my opinion, you won't find a better salt water selection in Montgomery County.

• 1 month later...

I would have to throw The Aquarium Comany in here. They are located in Reston and they are a great store. Lots of excellent corals and nice fish as well. Sean has worked hard on the store and it shows.

(edited)

BRK is the best. Johnny and his staff can help you with anything. ou are just around the corner from me if you need anything just drop me a line. John yauger

Edited by Kimchi Corals

• 2 months later...

Wish we could edit the first post to include an updated list of all the stores... quite a few new stores opened over the past few months.

• 2 weeks later...

New to WAMAS but went to Sean's store in Reston..the Aquarium Company as mentioned above...imo...he's awesome....he's totally dedicated and extremely helpful. I found the prices to be very reasonable and he had a wonderful selection. I only have/keep soft corals but he had some beauties of all kinds. Not a ton of fish, but he said it's not very healthy for the fish to be in route this time of year...that right there showed me just how much he cares. He told me the story of the rescue tank where he has been keeping a clownfish for about 15 years (i think that's how long he's had it)...to me, Sean seems like he goes above and beyond and CARES about his livestock. That means a lot to me.

I just went to Sea Save and they have much cleaner and healthier fish than House of Tropicals. Thanks for posting. It was a little hard to find, but I got great customer service too.

The Aquarium Company on Sunset Hills in Reston has great stock and great prices. Shawn is really helpful. Close to Marine Scene but they give you a lot better deal. Try it.

• 7 months later...

I will only go to Blue Ribbon Koi in Manassas/Catharpin. I've been to all the stores in the area; there stuff is the best price most of the time, and most importantly, they will get to know you by name and are always friendly, helpful, and worth whatever you spend there. Not to mention the livestock I've gotten from them has NEVER turned out to be less than stellar. I won't go elsewhere. period.

I will only go to Blue Ribbon Koi in Manassas/Catharpin. I've been to all the stores in the area; there stuff is the best price most of the time, and most importantly, they will get to know you by name and are always friendly, helpful, and worth whatever you spend there. Not to mention the livestock I've gotten from them has NEVER turned out to be less than stellar. I won't go elsewhere. period.

Johnny, is that you?

lol

;)

• 1 month later...

Another vote for Blue Ribbon Koi. Made my first trip out there the other day, just to look around, not intending to buy anything and was so impressed that I walked out with a new fish and a bucket of salt.

• 1 month later...

Made my first trip out to Blue Ribbon Koi. I will be making many more trips in the future. The first vibe I got from the place was a very friendly one. Everyone of their employees asked me if i needed help. !! leave me in peace i just want to drool over all the gear I cant afford:). Well spent a $$$ on some fish and one coral. The guys there helped me figure out which replacement rodi cartridges I needed.

A+

ps: work on the display tank in the front. Its the first thing I saw and to be honest its weak.

• 4 months later...

whats everyone's experience with Atlantis aquariums in Richmond? im thinking of going there this weekend but dont want to drive a hour if its not worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Pristine Aquariums is is Alexandria and really close to me, so naturally they are one of my favorite places to pick up fish.

I'm going to get ragged on for this but... SuperPetz in Annandale is my favorite place to pick up dry goods, they are normally 20-40% cheaper than anywhere else.

whats everyone's experience with Atlantis aquariums in Richmond? im thinking of going there this weekend but dont want to drive a hour if its not worth it.

Little late to the thread, but I was there two weekends ago, and the display tank alone in worth the drive IMHO. Also hit up Kings Dominion on the way back and hit all the coasters which added to the day.

:biggrin:

• 3 months later...

i went to atlantis after the previous post and its defiantly my favorite store in the dc md va area ive been to. i have been to around ten or more saltwater store in the area and they have my favorite coral selection, and there fish selection isnt half bad either they are defiantly more towards corals though. the staff there is awesome and always willing to help and answer questions. great prices and great deals i recommend this store to anyone whos is in the richmond area. and cant forget the buy 2 get one free frag rack it gets me every time.

i went to fins and feathers yesterday for the first time and they were definatly an awesome store with a great selection and very knowledgeable staff.good prices and a decent selection,everything was also very healthy. i was very impressed and happy.worth the just over two hour drive.

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to find a LFS that I can call my own but being out in the wilds of WV, it's a little bit tougher to find one.

So far these are places I've been with a little bit of what I observered.

Pugh's Pet Center in Hagerstown MD. No longer open. Had a great selection of tanks but the live stock was iffy.

Rick's Fish and Pet Supply in Frederick MD. Very cramped store with alot of different products, prices where on the high side but did in a pinch when I needed to get some Purigen. The fish tanks are very dirty and most had aptasia in them.

Mr. Coral in Frederick Md. Great Looking coral. On the skimpy side for fish and dry goods. Great customer service.

Winchester Pet and Aquarium Center in Winchester, VA. Friendly staff, but never felt comfortable with their live selection. Got some macroalgae and aptasia from them. The aptasia was free.

I'm trying to make a trip to Livewire, but the last time I called there was no answer and was afraid to make the trip there. Close to me so still hoping to get there.

I've hit Congressional, Marine Scene, Dr. Mac's, That Pet Place (Quarterly Trips for Salt), and Blue Ribbon Koi. Those have been covered pretty well so far in the thread. If BRK was a little closer for me, I'd be there alot more often. Marine Scene is my go to place for food and I got healthy a sixline and naked clown from them.

Hope this helps with people out in the burbs and any suggestion on other places to hit let me know.

Thanks

Tony

Edited by Shadowbearwv

• 1 month later...

I personally love Blue Ribbon Koi and don't go anywhere else for my livestock/other needs.

• 4 weeks later...

went to marine scene the other day. to be honest, a little underwhelmed.

great display tank. had some nice ricordia in and a decent selection of frags. their fish selection was a little light. decent selection of lps. they told me they don't quarantine in general. is this common in the area? previously, when places charge $150 for a purple tang, it was due to them quarantining for at least a week prior to selling.

i may have caught them on a light day but given that it takes an hour to drive up from stafford, will probably avoid for the time being.

i think atlantis may actually be closer to me so will check out.

• 4 weeks later...

Went by Aquarium One in Rockville the other day, and they have done most of a major overhaul. Coral looked fantastic. Fish also.

You can tell they are really trying to up their game, especially from the last time I saw things about 2.5 years ago. Lots of fantastic looking frags.

Went by Aquarium One in Rockville the other day, and they have done most of a major overhaul. Coral looked fantastic. Fish also.

You can tell they are really trying to up their game, especially from the last time I saw things about 2.5 years ago. Lots of fantastic looking frags.

Aquatic Obsessions in Manassas is worth checking out. I *heard* (so take this at face value) they don't QT their fish, but they do have a pretty nice coral selection, nice aggressives, and good freshwater stuff as well.

• 1 month later...

Still being a SW newbie, I don't have tons of experience with the LFSs here, but I've visited - mostly to look and ask questions, get startup supplies - and I picked up some live rock and sand at Marine Scene (which has been pretty nice, though I thought it was expensive) - got snails too. With my limited visits and newbie point of view I can say that Winchester was okay - I don't know that I'd ever buy anything but supplies there, and that seemed pricey. Bristle worms crawling throughout the live rock scared me off some. One guy was very nice though and gave me one of their test strips on my tank to try out when I was unsure. Marine Scene is fine - everyone seemed knowledgeable, but I felt like I sometimes had to seek someone out, and I had to ask specific questions rather than them offering advice (the live rock advice was adequate at best - I felt like I was on my own). BRK is awesome - I will be visiting again this week. Fins and Feathers was the big disappointment for me. No one even said hello to me - and I was the only one in there. I looked at the stuff for a few minutes and walked out, vowing to never return. *** Removed *** It's unfortunate because it's the closest store to me and I likely would have given them tons of business.

I'm sure my opinions will evolve...

Edited by davelin315
Remarks of a personal nature removed

def agree BRK is a nice store, great people and a very good selection...more dry goods then most plumbing stores in the area.

cant believe your opinion on F&F, i know they get busy in there but you being the only person in there and not being asked if you need help is something ive never seen.

as for the baby, she is in that walker and when she comes out they do clean her feet, and im pretty sure has not been sick and has been in that store since she was much smaller, i take my daughter there as well (5mo) and angelique is very responsible about cleaning her hands and all before touchin her or her baby for that matter. i hope you reconsider returning, they get some awesome corals and have some of the best prices around for larger colonies especially. If you want help i would ask if you dont get asked, sorry to hear you got off on the wrong foot but again i suggest giving them another try.

there are alot of other nice stores as other have posted above in the area too.

just my 2 cents

lutz123,

I make an effort to say hello to everyone who walks through our doors. I apologize if you were not helped to your satisfaction.

As far as my daughter running around barefoot...I'm a clorox bleach fanatic. I bleach the entire floor at least once a day, AND spot clean with bleach whenever our pups are running around. I was born and raised in South Africa, running around barefoot all the time. I don't think I even knew what shoes were until I was like 7.

And, Evan is correct, my daughter has not been sick once, but thank you for your truly genuine concern regarding my parenting.

Angelique