LFS recommendations?

lmeyer

I'm very impressed with SeaSave near Baltimore Washington International Airport. You need to call first to make sure they're open. Great stuff, small operation, excellent one-on-one attention, hugh enthusiasts, no advertising. They have outstanding live rock and they do seahorses. 410-766-8888

fab

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pmendoza

I just started the hobby six months ago. Here's my newbie opinions on the marine sections of the LFSs I've been to.

Marine Scene - Large selection of corals at great prices. Lots of fish. Expensive supplies.

Vienna Aquarium & Pets - Decent selection of fish. No corals.

Roozens - Gigantic selection of fish and corals - tanks are filthy.

Blue Ribbon Koi - Small display of very nice corals (great prices). Not many fish. Just started saltwater 6-mos ago or somthing like that - still building tanks.

Wally's - Good selection of fish and have a new coral guy who's getting some great corals. Some corals a little pricey but they always have good sales. Great selection of tanks and lights. Wish I would've bought my tank there. Good prices on on supplies.

Dr. Macs - Amazing selection of corals, but pricey. Not too many fish. Store is as clean as an operating room. Nice to chat with a coral authority like Dr. Mac.

Tropical Lagoon - Only visited once before I really got started. Don't remember their inventory but they were really helpfull.

PETCO College Park - No fish to speak of. Good prices on supplies.

TOTALLY FISH AND PET - Their tropical stuff was being redone when I went there (winter). Completely unhelpful.

Edited by pmendoza

• 4 weeks later...

just-pets, just pets-reston.com, not the greatest selaction of livestock or equipment, but they know what they are talking about, and will order anything you need, on a weakly basis. 5 minutes away from Marine Scene, and the prices are much lower!

• 3 weeks later...

I want to add for those willing to travel out to Frederick, check out Aquatic Creations. They're mainly a pond store but have some nice salt stuff there. Their corals vary in quality depending on how long they've had them in stock (worse the longer they have in stock as they have one display tank and don't maintain very well) but their fish are always excellent and they will not sell you sick fish. They're pretty knowledgable as far as fish setups go and will order anything you want fish or coral wise. Check out their website: www.aquaticcreationsltd.com.

I also like Tropical Fish World in Rockville and Sea Save in Glen Burnie. Don't like House of Tropicals much cause their fish have always looked terrible, but they've got some nice live rock (expensive though).

Edited by rooroo

• 1 month later...

Hello! New to WAMAS and the Virginia area, wanted to check in on this thread.

I'm not sure about either one of these listings in the Leesburg area. I've gone out a couple of times and have not found them, not sure how old these are but if they do exist I always like to check out a new LFS. Using the phone book I have even driven way the heck up to the Winchester Aquarium and Pet Center - lots of livestock, junk for equipment and pricey.

Pets Etc.

Aquarium Services

Prospect Dr SW

Leesburg, VA 20175

(703) 777-2807

Total Pets

1047 Edwards Ferry Rd NE

Leesburg, VA 20176

(703) 779-7692

Off of Edwards Ferry Rd. in the shopping mall across from Target there is a store called Aquatic World, with a great display tank and good service. They were great about ordering me the sand I used for my tank, with prices lower than DF&S. I think everbody here knows that Sean at Fins&Feathers in Ashburn is the man, he should have his own forum here.

thanks, looking forward to contributing here.

jp

• 1 month later...

We have had a good trip to Scales in Silver Spring/Cloverly. They just expanded on the inside and they have a lot of nice looking, clean tanks and the staff is really friendly. Andrew, one of the owners, helped us out and he posts on WAMAS as AndrewB.

If you don't mind taking a drive on the weekend, it's worth checking it out. There are some pics in the gallery (I think members gallery...not too sure) if you want to check them out and there's a WAMAS members after hours thingy coming up soon (I think it's next week but the date is on the home page for sure)

• 1 month later...

Anyone know a LFS in Alexandria? This place is pretty big, and have big shark. I went there one time with my one of my friend (no longer keep in touch). I want to go back to that LFS, but dont know the name and where. I just know it's in Alexandria, VA.

Thanks,

Guest Dr.FuManchu

Do you mean Superpetz in Annandale? They have a Nurse Shark in a display, they also have good prices on tanks but not really a great selection of corals and saltwater fish(tanks are dirty and have cyano/Aiptasia) but they have an amazing selection of freshwater fish.

Anyone know a LFS in Alexandria? This place is pretty big, and have big shark. I went there one time with my one of my friend (no longer keep in touch). I want to go back to that LFS, but dont know the name and where. I just know it's in Alexandria, VA.

Thanks,

SuperPetz. Be ware of fish health and other livestock. Look into other posts regarding this store, there are plenty of opinions on that store. Might be worth reading other WAMAS members and make a decision before venturing over for livestock. On the other hand, they have good tank and dry good prices.

Hello! New to WAMAS and the Virginia area, wanted to check in on this thread.

I'm not sure about either one of these listings in the Leesburg area. I've gone out a couple of times and have not found them, not sure how old these are but if they do exist I always like to check out a new LFS. Using the phone book I have even driven way the heck up to the Winchester Aquarium and Pet Center - lots of livestock, junk for equipment and pricey.

Pets Etc.

Aquarium Services

Prospect Dr SW

Leesburg, VA 20175

(703) 777-2807

Total Pets

1047 Edwards Ferry Rd NE

Leesburg, VA 20176

(703) 779-7692

Off of Edwards Ferry Rd. in the shopping mall across from Target there is a store called Aquatic World, with a great display tank and good service. They were great about ordering me the sand I used for my tank, with prices lower than DF&S. I think everbody here knows that Sean at Fins&Feathers in Ashburn is the man, he should have his own forum here.

thanks, looking forward to contributing here.

jp

I grew up in Hamilton...kind of funny.

Pets Etc is no longer and I have not heard of Total Pets, I'll have to drive by that address. It is interesting that you like Aquatic World. They have horrible prices and are incredibly rude. There is one young guy that works every once and awhile and he's nice. The owner is a jerk. Sometimes he's nice, but he's very rude and condescending. I usually find a lot of dead fish in the tanks and there is no reason. There is usually someone sitting at the counter reading a paper (usually the owner)....they could remove the dead fish. The owner doesn't seem to keep up to date with anything. I asked him about a Tunze and he was like what's that? Anyway, I stopped going there for multiple reasons, but a big one was how he yells at everyone. He does have a cool lagoon and 220 above it.

No, this is in Alexandria.

Tee

-----------------

Do you mean Superpetz in Annandale? They have a Nurse Shark in a display, they also have good prices on tanks but not really a great selection of corals and saltwater fish(tanks are dirty and have cyano/Aiptasia) but they have an amazing selection of freshwater fish.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm new to this hobby and I'm just starting to make my rounds of stores. In the Rockville area there is a store called AQUARIUM ONE in Wintergreen Plaza that someone just told me about. Recently opened by the guy that used to own Congressional as I understand it.

I also just went into a store at the intersection of New Hampshire Ave and Briggs Chaney Road called Scales. The sign on the storefront just says "Tropical Fish" I think.

I don't know if either of them has what would be considered a lot or a little in the opinion of an experienced tanker, but they both had tanks set up with what I would consider a pretty good selection.

I can vouch for Tropical Fish World - Ive been going there for about 10 years, since I first started salt.

TFW is the only place I know of in Monkey County that gives any kind of guarantee on saltwater fish for more than 3 days (it's 10 days at 50% back). They recently took out some wall to make a small coral & invert room. They will special-order for you and hold items. They will pay to take things off your hands.

Editing today to add that I went to Congressional aquarium yesterday for the first time in a decade, so I can give my opinion of it. On the negative side: there were dead fish in 3 different SW tanks, just a small selection of corals, and the liverock didn't really look "live". On the positive side: There was a good variety of cleanup critters, and the employees were very friendly.

Updating again:

I learned today that Congressional aquarium sells "dyed" - i.e., tortured - fish. Based on that, I can say I won't be going back there for sure..

Edited by treesprite

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Idk if this has been said

but for anyone in the bethesda/rockville/kensington/dc area

congressional aquariums is good

off of rockville pike near the Container store and the Progress club.

its greatt

they have some knowledgeable ppl there and some... ppl who just want to sell stuff but they pretty much know me there now and always ask about my seahorses

EDIT:: wow just saw the last post...

dyed fish?? umm well you must have gone on a REALLY bad day- i go there like every week. i love it.. however i wouldnt buy LR rock from there not amazing...

well i personally like congressional they have amazing aquarium packages the majority of their fish look really healthy... though i wouldnt buy seahorses from there unless to rescue them they look sad... also honestly if you go into almost any fish store there is always at least one dead fish

i have only seen one dead fish in there and it was already a skeleton because the fw fish were picking at it

and one sevearly sick looking benny or grama.. looked like another fish took a big chunk out of it..

i think the ppl there are really nice- there basic supplies like hydrometers and heater are over priced but so is every fish store

i still dont understand the whole dying issue of the fish... how would one do that there is no profit in it- besides pretty fish but it would be difficult to do that with ALL the fish and ge the right colors....

right now they have his killer grouper its HUGE!!

Edited by toastiireefs

Actually, Congressional Aquarium preys on newbies to the hobby. You'll find much better prices and fish about 2 miles down the road at Aquarium One. I can guarantee you Aquarium One will crush any prices you see at Congressional. Plus there are wamas members working at Aquarium One which is why I support them. There are no 15 year old kids who give horrible advice.

hey! i wanted to workk at congressional aquarium-- and would give good advice!! haha

no but where is this ive never heard about it...?

all i knew was petsmart and congressional... i admit a lot of their basic stuff is over priced and some fish are over priced. but they have great aquarium packages that ive seen at least better than any where else ive been too.. also their fish are decently priced. they are cheaper than ordering online and having to pay who knows what for shipping..

i checked fish prices with fosters and they prety much matched

I realize that stores have to charge more because of rent and other expenses, but there are several items that I have found over 200% markup at congressional. They were trying to charge $25 for a thermometer that 15 minutes later I found at AO for $9. The same exact item. Congressional preys on people new to the hobby and don't know better yet. Now that we have Aquarium One and Scales here on the MD side of the beltway, I never have to go back to congressional EVER.

BRK and F&F over in VA are a sure thing as well. I look forward to road trips once every few weeks to check out their stores.

This will help you find Aquarium One

http://rockvilleliving.com/directory/list.php?cat=102

THANKS!!!!!

i kinda feel bad now... i have relationships with some of these people... *sigh*

oh well if it means cheaper better things im in!

Guest JasonD
(edited)

but they have great aquarium packages that ive seen at least better than any where else ive been too

That's what it looks like at first. If you read the fine print, you have to buy a "filter" to get their package price. By filter, they mean one of the AGA wet/dry filters from the last decade that they sell for $350. Not really a deal.

Edited by JasonD

(edited)

well they had a 75gl with stand if you bought the lights for a grand total of 575$ (which to me wasnt bad considering i couldnt find anything cheaper)

then you get 20% off of everything in the store

but deffinately next aquarium store trip it to this place that i didnt know existed and now really excited

(the lights were new HO T-5 - same from fosters)

oh and so aquarium one is the former owners of congressional?>?

Edited by toastiireefs

Its also the horrible service I've gotten there, over and over and over. I can't count how many times I used to wait, and wait, and wait for service, all while there was a group of employees chatting up at the front. The disdain I have for that store didn't happen from just one visit, it was from visit after visit being consistently more frustrating than the last.

yea that happened with me- and then you just walk right up and ask if you need help

also there are two amazing guys there! one who is in the hobby so knows what hes talking about and one who is just right up here with custumor service but i think cares more about the sale then the fish.. all the rest can

*insert image of a screw* themselves :)

I grew up in Hamilton...kind of funny.

Pets Etc is no longer and I have not heard of Total Pets, I'll have to drive by that address. It is interesting that you like Aquatic World. They have horrible prices and are incredibly rude. There is one young guy that works every once and awhile and he's nice. The owner is a jerk. Sometimes he's nice, but he's very rude and condescending. I usually find a lot of dead fish in the tanks and there is no reason. There is usually someone sitting at the counter reading a paper (usually the owner)....they could remove the dead fish. The owner doesn't seem to keep up to date with anything. I asked him about a Tunze and he was like what's that? Anyway, I stopped going there for multiple reasons, but a big one was how he yells at everyone. He does have a cool lagoon and 220 above it.

Probably right on with your assessment of the store owner, and the corals are terrible and equipment is overpriced. But, I have had awesome success wtih their fish and inverts though, and I can't say that about other LFS's I've used. I don't think reefing is viewed as profitable enough for them to go the extra mile, more along the lines of a turn em and burn em fish store. FWIW.

jp

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I went to Aquarium One yesterday after calling different places to get my Nova Extreme lighting (didn't want to go the internet route). A1 was the least expensive and Cong was the most expensive, TFW was inbetween, and the place on Russel Ave won't special order them (no one keeps them in stock).

I also found out that A1 will give a discount to WAMAS members, but sad to say for me, not on lighting.

Congressional led me to believe that a green brittle star would be safe in my tank - a couple days after I got it, I discovered that gbs are notorious for being UNsafe. Note that Cong includes them in their cleanup crew package.

i still dont understand the whole dying issue of the fish... how would one do that there is no profit in it- besides pretty fish but it would be difficult to do that with ALL the fish and ge the right colors....

On the contrary, there is a big profit in it, pursued by cruel, compassionless, and greedy people http://badmanstropicalfish.com/states/md.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painted_fish

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

I thought I would add the (not so) Local Fish Store I found having the best selection of corals, fish and inverts so far in my quest to fill my new 75 gallon reef tank. He had to have at least... oh I would say 400 corals to choice from last time I was there. Joe at Fish World in Richmond has an amazing selection of pretty much anything you need for saltwater tanks. He gives personal one on one attention to people needing help. Here's a little story about what he did for me. Short version: he stayed till 4:30 am to finish setting up my fish tank. Then drove 1 hour 45 minutes home. Amazing... if you ask me.

I didnt see his store on here so I thought I would mention it. Its worth checking out.

Going to check the 1,200 (yes, thats a comma) gallon saltwater tank is worth the drive alone...

Recap:

1) Personal customer service

2) Huge selection of coral, fish and inverts

3) Knowledge and patience beyond words

4) Dedication to the hobby

Joe's number is 804-379-2466 tell'em I sent ya!

Cheers, :cheers:

Sean

Edited by rottloverr