LFS recommendations?

lmeyer

Lost my reef about 2 years ago after an ugly incident w/ a cucumber and a return pump. Needless to say, the pump won and my reef lost! Was travelling a lot back then and didn't have time to devote to starting over.

Still don't have time, but getting back in anyway. Haven't found an LFS I like and am looking for suggestions. In particular, I want to get some soft corals and LPS. Could be interested in Leathers, Colts, Kenya Tree, Hammer, Brains, Fungia, Zooanthids, Xenia, Clove, etc. I don't think there is much in my neck of the woods (Kensington, MD, near the elementary school we have meetings in). Used to go to Marine Care (out of business), Discount Pets (went downhill, out of business), Congressional (still there, not much selection for soft corals, though), Totally Fish (moved to a new location, reef doesn't seem to be working out at new store yet), Tropical Lagoon (seems to be my best bet for the hammers and bubbles, not sure about other corals). I'm ready to look elsewhere (Baltimore, Northern VA, Southern PA?), but don't want to drive forever and be disappointed. Ideally would find a place with a decent selection and knowledgeable staff, but would settle for just the selection.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

www.reefstore.com- aka TRT or the reef tank. over in VA off Braddock road.

sometimes is slow on updating website, so I would call about a specific piece. Unfortunately no longer in business :cry: (edited 4/2006)

New place down by fort washington- called ultimate saltwater aquarium Hopefully Anderson, the owner will start posting up sales and stuff here on our website.

exotic Aquatics up in baltimore- http://www.exoticaquatics.com/

marine scene in herndon- http://www.marinescene.com/index.shtm

If you are up for a road trip or on your way to ocean city, then Dr. Mac's east coast aquaculture is where you want to go. www.drmaccorals.com

These are your best bets, though for many of the soft corals, club members/locals are your best bet. a visit to David Oh's house off new hampshire is a good place to start

chideloh here on the website- you can PM him.

I'm a stones throw away from you and can set you up with a few things.

Seriously though, start by visiting David Oh. and if you road trip up to exotic aquatics, stop by George Schwab's (geofloors) for some more very sweet frags. Both have a good mixture of different things to choose from.

Oh yeah- and a couple of us from around here (silver spring, rockville, g-burg, etc are always up for a mail order- though not nearly as much fun as shopping at a decent store).

Michael

Listed for FYI only. We do not endorse or recommend one shop over others. Several people ask what are the LFS's so here is a FAQ list

WAMAS web page of Locals

Pinned post in General Discussion gives some comments on them.

Thread

Dr. Mac's Pacific East Corals (Salisbury, MD)

http://www.drmaccorals.com/sys-tmpl/door/

Call us toll-free 877-887-5224

Mailorder Hours: Monday-Friday 10 am-6 pm Eastern, Saturday 11 am-5 pm.

Retail Outlet Hours: Saturdays from 11 am-5 pm, other times by appointment only.

Marine Scene (Herndon, VA)

http://www.marinescene.com/index.shtm

293 Sunset Park Drive

Herndon, Virginia 20170

(703) 689-2815

Blue Ribbon Koi / Marine (Manassas, VA)

Current Hours

Thurs - Sat 10-6 Sun 10-5

703-753-7566

Blue Ribbon Koi & Marine

Fins & Feathers (Ashburn, VA)

m-fri 11-8 sat 11-6 sun 12-5

http://www.finsandfeathersstore.com/aboutus.htm

Roozens Nursery

http://www.roozens.com/

301-248-2500

Ultimate Saltwater Aquariums

http://www.usaquariums.net/

11101-B2 Indian Head Highway

Fort Washington, Maryland.

exotic Aquatics up in baltimore- http://www.exoticaquatics.com/

Guest clownfish4

The Reef Tank is very good and many of us, myself included, really like Roozens. They move a lot of fish through since they are a wholesaler so you have to be careful about what you buy, but they have a HUGE selection and many of us have had great success with them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mightymouse

the marine scene is my personal favortie but this is only if you are willing to pay more i pay more at marine scene cuz i know im getting the best quality possible

Guest cwschoon

I moved to Leesburg from Atlanta 4 weeks ago and if you look at reefcentral thread that I started " just moved to Leesburg. need help" you will find the great assistance and advice that I received. This is my first post at this site and I will soon join WAMAS. I was a distributor and a manufacturer rep for 10 yrs or so for west NY and Ontario, so have been to a few stores in my time. Am freaked out by the prices, etc up here but then I discovered Roozens. The selection in that store is incredible and the prices are excellent. Larry really knows his stuff and they get shipments every day from every part of the world except areas that use cyanide. I got seriously wiped out moving up her...fish, corals, inverts...and am begininning the process of restocking. Am led to believe that when I join, other members sell and trade frags. Am needing shrooms. other soft corals, zoos. Roozens is reasonable but it will take me a while to recover from my expensive move. Anyone selling softies, single shrooms, zoos, give me a shout.

• 1 month later...
Guest tburrs

If you are looking for a big selection of both equipment and livestock, and don't mind driving about two hours, I highly recommend That Fish Place in Lancaster, PA. http://www.thatpetplace.com/ They by far have the biggest selection and best prices around. For those not familiar they are mainly an online warehouse, which is located in Lancaster. Over the years they've grown and have a huge retail store in their warehouse. Check it out!

Address:

237 Centerville Road

Lancaster, PA 17603

We are having a Social at Reef Tank on June 10th. It will be great if you could come and join us. There you will see The Reef Tank Store facilities as may gather information from other members on tricks of the trade.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest alex wlazlak

hey tburrs, do you go to the fish place often?i live near harisburg, and i LOVE it!they have an enormous range of fish and everything there!a pengiune 330 was $20 there, and it was $65 at petsmart..they have pretty much THE LOWEST PRICES! but it is quite a drive from v.a.

• 1 month later...
Guest eherrmann

We're new to the salt water tank scene but we're well versed in customer service.

If your looking treated like a dollar sign go to Roozen's. Our experiences include price changing, bad attitudes and don't even dream of asking if they offer a WAMAS discount, you'd have thought I ask Jos, the owner, if he does toilets. Dead fish floating in the tanks can leave you wondering how healthy the fish really are. Hey I guess spending a grand at his place doesn't mean squat.......................... NO Soup for you!!

We have visited The Pet Place up in Lacaster and we were happy with the harware selection and the service.

We have gone to the Marine Scene in Reston and have found them to be knowledgable, helpful and a pretty good selection, pricey but the livestock is healthy.

We have also shopped at the Pet Forum down in Charllotesville and have returned many times. The college kids running the place are experienced, knowledgable and quite helpful. Tuesdays are half price day. http://www.petforum.com

Today's visit was to The Reef Tank in Fairfax. We had an extensive talk with Grihm about an alge problem and found him to be very helpful in diagnosing our problem. We look forward to going back again.

• 1 month later...
Guest boostenmkiv

no idea how long this place has been around, but I recently came across Tropical Lagoon http://www.tropicallagoon.com/ While their store seems to be in a somewhat shady area, I found some really nice corals, clams, and fish there. I got my crocea and my mandarin there and they have been doing great. Good prices too

• 1 month later...

Tons of my stuff have come from Tropical Lagoon and continue too.

It's like the TFT used to be, know when the stuff is coming or the best stuff is GONE FAST.

They do not give a club discount but are priced below most that do anyway so it's a wash.

I have very good success with fish, and excellent success with corals.

Been turning to Steve for 19 years. This guy knows both the equipment and salt hobby. Unusual in the fact that he still thinks he can learn something from you.

Interested to see BRkoi.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Snulman

I just got off the phone with John from Blue Ribbon Koi. He is still new to the LFS game, so his winter hours are only thurs-sat. But he told me that if need be, and I was ready to purchase he would try and meet me at my times. And sounds like his prices are pretty good. I would check him out if you are near by!

Tons of my stuff have come from Tropical Lagoon and continue too.

It's like the TFT used to be, know when the stuff is coming or the best stuff is GONE FAST.

They do not give a club discount but are priced below most that do anyway so it's a wash.

I have very good success with fish, and excellent success with corals.

Been turning to Steve for 19 years. This guy knows both the equipment and salt hobby. Unusual in the fact that he still thinks he can learn something from you.

Interested to see BRkoi.

41548[/snapback]

• 3 months later...

I have been scouting local stores in Northern Virginia, and I have 2 good stores. 1st is centreville aquarium which is ok. I give em a 6 out of 10. Nice folks, ok stock, but very small store. By far and away the best place I've seen yet is Marine scene. A defiante 10. It's a hobbyist's paradise. Tons of stuff there. 3rd place I've gone is Fox mill pets in Franklin Farms. They don't have much, but the saltwater livestock they have tends to be very hardy, plus I know the owners personally, and they are good people.

John

I have been scouting local stores in Northern Virginia, and I have 2 good stores.  1st is centreville aquarium which is ok.  I give em a 6 out of 10.  Nice folks, ok stock, but very small store.  By far and away the best place I've seen yet is Marine scene.  A defiante 10.  It's a hobbyist's paradise.  Tons of stuff there.  3rd place I've gone is Fox mill pets in Franklin Farms.  They don't have much, but the saltwater livestock they have tends to be very hardy, plus I know the owners personally, and they are good people.

John

54989[/snapback]

Check out BRK www.blueribbonkoi.com

Good quality, good service..... you must look at BRK

selection?.. you need to speak to Johnny and he will probably find you what you need within a week or so.

I recommend BRK.

I like Tropical Fish World in Gaithersburg.

Not a huge selection but usually very healthy livestock. They also give good money for trade-ins and would get you whaetever you want/need.

Jim, the owner, is a marine biologist with 20 years of experience so his advice might be usuful.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Tomsimtim

Congressional Aquarium in Rockville has recently expanded and tripled their size. They are not far from you in Kensington. Strait Northon 355. It is in the plaza with the Container Store. I'd give them a try.

Tim.

If you are looking for a big selection of both equipment and livestock, and don't mind driving about two hours, I highly recommend That Fish Place in Lancaster, PA. http://www.thatpetplace.com/ They by far have the biggest selection and best prices around. For those not familiar they are mainly an online warehouse, which is located in Lancaster. Over the years they've grown and have a huge retail store in their warehouse. Check it out!

Address:

237 Centerville Road

Lancaster, PA 17603

You don't have to go there. I order from thatpetplace online all the time. Great prices, and shipping is not bad at all. If you put in an order over the weekend, it's here by Tues! s

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest austinsdad
(edited)

You guys been to Sea Save in Glen Burnie MD yet? Aquacultured LR (and other rock taken from torn down tanks, fish, inverts, etc, etc. 7362 Balt & Annapolis Blvd. 410-766-8888.

Small place but family owned and run. These guys dive for their own rock and coral. I've gotten LR populated with tube worms, macro algaes, sponge (yep, no die off while transported), bi-valves, hidden cup coral, pineapple coral, beautiful corraline,and other stuff I till need to ID.

They're all about ocean conservation and have some very interesting stuff. Saturday, I got a 3" crocea for $20. Fire shrimp @ $20. CBS @ $15. Very healthy fish too.

http://www.seasave.net/888839.html

Check out the "store link" for very regular updates on in stock items.

Edited by austinsdad

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hokieman

House of Tropicals is also pretty good in Glen Burnie. Bought a lot of my freshwater fish there, but they have a pretty good selection of Saltwater fish.

Guest hokieman

I just went to Sea Save and they have much cleaner and healthier fish than House of Tropicals. Thanks for posting. It was a little hard to find, but I got great customer service too.