Need Help with Camera Choice

Novi

I am not a Camera expert by any means. I know very little infact...lol. I do know though I would like to get a Digital SLR Camera. Either Nikon or Cannon.

Thats where it ends. Some of you take amazing UPCLOSE & PERSONAL pictures of your coral and I would like to be able to do that as well. Can you guys give me some good advise on a camera purchase? I want to keep it between $400 - $700 if possible.

Its not so much the camera as it is the lens. Pretty much any SLR will do the shots you want, but you need a really good Macro lens to do the closeups. I have both Canon 50D and Canon 7D cameras, but I use the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM for my coral shots. This lens is probably one of the top three on the market for doing this type of photography.

Hope that helps,

Scott

I'm planning to pick up the 50D (but based the refresh timing - it's been over 18 mos since the 50D was announced - there should be a 60D announced soon) - but it's running $900 for the body, $1100 with a 28-135 kit lens, which is more than you're looking to spend. That lens has a minimum focus distance of 1.5 ft, so it's not really considered a macro lens. The lens you want will run you an extra $200 - $400 minimum. The lens sturnmeyer mentioned is $529 (http://www.adorama.com/CA10028AFN.html). Look at the upcoming Canon 550D (T2i, i think?) or one of the rebels. You can also go with the Nikon line - the 5000D is entry level and should come close to your price point, or you can step up to the 90D. Take a look at dpreview.com - the reviews are pretty comprehensive and should teach you a lot about the terminology and technology you'll need to make a good decision about what you want to do. There is also a beginner's tutorial to teach you what the terminology really means so you can apply it when you read the camera specs.

Remember that you will spend more money on the lenses than you ever will on the body, because the lens matters more than the body (though the body and specifically the sensor does make a difference). Nikon and Canon use different lenses, but lenses for either manufacturer's cameras can be reused when you upgrade your body.

Its not so much the camera as it is the lens. Pretty much any SLR will do the shots you want, but you need a really good Macro lens to do the closeups. I have both Canon 50D and Canon 7D cameras, but I use the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM for my coral shots. This lens is probably one of the top three on the market for doing this type of photography.

Hope that helps,

Scott

I would love to have that setup, but were talking over $2 G's for all that...lol

I can upgrade the lens later of course, but for now what do you guys think of maybe the Nikon D50 or D70?

The D50 and D70 are both discontinued models, but may be OK for you. The downside is that you're going to need to buy them used instead of new. It also has a CCD sensor vs. the newer CMOS sensor. The Nikon entry-level cameras have been replaced by the D3000 and D5000 models - you may be better off going for one of these instead.

I was in your boat a few months ago. I am a bargain shopper when it comes to things that can be very expensive. If you have the patience to do some research and look around for a good deal you might be able to find a great deal on a second hand camera. I picked up a Nikon D3000 with lens and lowepro backpack and some cleaning accessories/memory cards for 400 dollars-the camera only had 700 shots on it when I bought it. I then found an older manual nikon macro lense for 100 dollars. It works pretty well and I am forced to learn how to manually focus/meter which I don't mind. For the price I can't complain at all-my wallet and I are very happy!

Sent PM on a D80 I am looking to sell. Comes with 2 lenses (neither are macro), a case, and other goodies. Also have the SB-800 flash and a nice LowePro case. A bit more than your noted budget, but just in case.

A great resource for information is www.kenrockwell.com

He discusses techniques, camera/lens reviews, etc and is not paid by any of the manufacturers. He also has a great section on how to buy used equipment and the very best of the cheap lenses.