Haddoni Carpet Anemone

tischdog32

Beautiful 'nem ... is joining the tank with two rbta's, a sebae and a haitian long tip. The guy just settled in, he's about 6 inches across, and already took a nice meaty piece of mysis!

Heres one with the flash:

post-2631628-126878505794_thumb.jpg

And one without, just under the actinics:

post-2631628-12687850731_thumb.jpg

It is a nice looking nem but I think you might be pushing your luck having that kind of diversity in a 75g tank.

What do you use as a moon or night light on the tank?

Very nice! I hope it does well. :biggrin:

I have two t12's ... as for the diversity, I decided it was worth a try since all of my other anemones have settled on the middle level of rock work, and since the carpet stays on the bottom I figured she'd be ok down there. Since I lost most of my coral/fish when I lost power during the snow storm for almost three days, I dont have a whole lot of fish swimming around. Ill monitor the situation

I had a Haddoni for several years. It was a nice addition, I had a pair of Clarkii clowns hosting in it. I loved it. A couple of tips. They like to bury their foot in the sand, up against some type of structure. Second, if they move...they aren't happy. If they settle in to a location where you don't want them you can move them by changing the flow. I could always get mine to move by putting it in an almost direct flow from a powerhead. They like water movement, but not a direct stream. Finally, they need food. I fed mine large chunks of fish and shrimp from the seafood counter at least twice a week. Whenever I made fish for dinner, I would keep the trimmings to feed my anemone. At its largest my Haddoni was close to 15 inches in diameter. Sadly, mine died when I tore my tank down. They are really cool anemones, and I want to have another some day. (Ideally I want an Haddoni with a pair of Saddleback clowns)

In the first picture, had you just fed the anemone? I ask because, when they are happy the mouth is nice and tightly shut. The puffiness around the mouth IME indicates that it either just fed, or is not entirely happy.

Also, it will eat your fish. I lost several fish and I strongly suspect that it was the Haddoni.

I have found that a small moon light on all night helps to keep the fish from wondering into the carpet? Stepping the lights down slowly helps too. My carpet ate most of my fish right when the lights would cycle off. The fish all darted for their holes in the rock work and without proper lighting and their eyes not yet adjusted to the darkness they would end up in the carpet.