Bad House Fire

BigWyll

First off, I'm sorry for your loss. I do hope that everything works out for you. On the tank related side, I agree with Dave. I have a masters degree in Fire Protection Engineering and I have seen the long list of toxic nasties that are produced in a fire situation. If soot and smoke infiltrated the water you have no idea what is in there and standard aquarium test kits will not be able to detect all of the potential contaminants that could be in the water. Toss everything in the tank and claim it on the insurance. As for the equip and the tank, I would be very careful with reusing it as well. Make sure to wash everything and let it soak in water with frequent water changes. Then be very careful reintroducing it into a situation with livestock.

BB

What most people don't know is that there are several types of fires, and each of them has their own issues. If this was a wood fire then most of your items can be fine.

A petroleum based fire as in plastics and or electrical fire will do the most damage, and I would not try and salvage much if the items got covered in smoke.

The last type would be a protein fire as in burnt food, or from some type of kitchen fire with food involved. Typically these fires can be as bad as a petroleum due to the odor that is involved.

Mark

There's actually 4 official types of fires.

A - Mostly organics as well as plastics.

B - flammable liquid and gases

C - live electrical equipment or wires/lines.

D - exotic metals.

A house fire can be a, b, c, and d type of fire. Fire depts don't generally use those "type" of fire identifications. It's a whatever is burning fire (i.e. structure fire, vehicle fire, brush fire, grease fire, etc). The A, B, C, D classes of fire are used by fire extinguisher/extinguishing agent manufacturers to distinguish types of fires their extinguishing agents/extinguishers can/should be used on.

As stated earlier most if not all fire departments use water to extinguish residential structure fires. Things like foam are used also but I'd say 99% of it is biodegradable now adays.

Having spent 15 years in the fire service I honestly wouldn't even consider using the rock, tank, or equipment. The combustible material inside moderns homes produce very very toxic smoke. Some of the by products of burning carpet and furnishings are hydrogen chloride and hydrogen cyanide. I bet if you tested the water of the tank after the fire was put out the water would be very acidic. It's the smoke and the by products of combustion in it that kill people and destroy things the fire was never near. Cleaning it up may make it look new but I'd be concerned about traces of combustion by-products lingering. I've had a few sets of turn out gear replaced during my time in the fire service for that very reason.

I'm happy you and your family are safe and I'm sorry for your loss. If there's anything I can do to help please don't hesitate to ask.

I'm very thankful that you and your family are safe, and that you have all of the support you need to recover.

There's actually 4 official types of fires.

A - Mostly organics as well as plastics.

B - flammable liquid and gases

C - live electrical equipment or wires/lines.

D - exotic metals.

In the insurance restoration world there are three, but yes if you are speaking from the fire department world then there are actually six.

Class A Ordinary combustibles

Class B Flammable liquids

Class C Flammable gases

Class E Electrical equipment

Class D Combustible metals

Class F Cooking oil or fat

wink.gif

Edited by CHUBAKAH

Erie or Nationwide?

Actually, Travelers. When Servpro found out who I got there were visible and audible signs of distress in the people's faces and I found out why very quickly.

• 9 months later...

Update....

8 months after the fire I am in my new home. The fire was definately arson. Someone set each mattress in each bedroom, couch in basement, and a pile of laundry on fire. Five separate fires in five separate rooms. The county fire department didn't bother with an investigation due to lack of evidence. So who ever did it, got away. There was no structual damage but everything inside was considered damaged beyond repair. Insurance paid to have house stripped to the frame and rebuilt. After the rebuild it was easy to get someone to take it off my hands. Now the only problem is furnishing the new house. The first thing I bought was a 120rr tank, stand, and sump. Here lies my problem.

If anyone in the temple hills, md area wants to help me set up my new tank, I would appreciate the help. It was a lot easier running tubes from my sump to my tank, but this thing has holes in it. I'm not sure I can tackle the plumping without help or really detailed advice. If you have the time or know of a company that does good work, shoot me a pm. My birthday is Jan. 6 and it's my goal to get water in the tank by then. Hoping to have the tank ready by next years frag fest.

tank has 2 overflow in the back corners with two holes each. I have some plumbing but I believe I'm missing something.

I can help out in the evenings or most of Friday if you need. If you take pictures of what you have and post them we can help with what parts you need to have on hand.

I am very sorry to hear about the fire and losses. The important thing is that the humans all got through it alive and healthy.

The important thing is that the humans all got through it alive and healthy.

Amen, as you found out materials are replaceable - people not so much.

Glad to hear you got right back into the hobby :)

Edited by ErikS

I can help out in the evenings or most of Friday if you need. If you take pictures of what you have and post them we can help with what parts you need to have on hand.

Thanks. I'll pm you my number. Sorry I didn't get the picks but I think I have everything but the return equipment(return pump, return tubing, and connectors) I have 4 bulkheads and 4 tubes that go up from the bulkheads over the overflow walls. (Like the ones found in the reef ready plumbing kit)I do have a pump. But from what I'm seeing I'm going to need more than one. Anyway, pm sent.

The link doesn't work, is that just another picture?