Aiptasia/Mojano Burner

El Camaron

There are only a few ahead of you but I manufactured tools and I can now build them much quicker than originally. Let me know if you want one.

Sure, I think you sent me a PM but I can't seems to find it,can you pls send me PM again with details. I would like one and wanted to see how many I can zap with the tool? my tank is 30" deep so I wanna make sure the cable/device is long enough to reach to the bottom of the tank.

Thanks

Sid

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my newest model. The shrink tubing is just for looks to hide the solder joints inside the tube.

I love Zapping these things

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

Made one yesterday. Used a spare 9v 500ma adapter. Tested it out on some aiptasia covered LR that I adopted. WOW!! This thing is bada$$. Best part is that I only had to buy rigid airline tubing and an on/off switch. A total of $4.00 made me the aiptasia widowmaker. Thanks for the thread.

(edited)

They do work great and you can build one if you can solder and are good with your hands. I have built the first few with spare stuff I had laying around also. Now I buy the power supplies by the case as well as the switches. The acrylic tubes I have to drive to the Bronx to get, about 45 minutes each way but I buy a lot of them so they last me for a while.

It is a lot cheaper to buy these things by the case.

I had to build and modify some tools to seal the thing the way I like. The first couple leaked so I re designed that process and have not had any problems. I am curiuos to see how long they will last. There has not been any wear on any of them yet as far as I can tell.

There are quite a few mojanos left in my tank so I need to get zapping, I save them for my daughter because she likes to do that.

Have a great day.

Paul

Edited by paul b

• 1 month later...

Now I have building these things down to a science, of course I built over fifty of them.

The newer ones use better stainless steel probes and stronger graphite.

I have not had any complaints with the new models yet, thatsa good news. :rolleyes:

My needle got brittle and broke but it is still long enough to work fine.

It's a pretty easy fix when I decide to replace it.

My graphite ( from a childs large pencil ) still looks fine with minimal wear.

Paul,

I want one... maybe 2. Thinking one with an extra curved handle to get those hard to reach places at the bottom of a deep tank. What is the going price? Payment methods? Please email me: Phil@reefescape.net

Thanks!

Phil

Flowerseller, I don't remember when I sent yours but the first ten or so was a different probe. The newer ones are a thicher stainless steel probe that are used for shark fishing.

I think, and hope, they will last forever.

They can be custom made for length or bends but you guys need to PM me as I don't think I am allowed to sell these things on here.

Paul

Flowerseller, I don't remember when I sent yours but the first ten or so was a different probe. The newer ones are a thicher stainless steel probe that are used for shark fishing.

I think, and hope, they will last forever.

They can be custom made for length or bends but you guys need to PM me as I don't think I am allowed to sell these things on here.

Paul

Two of sons and I made ours early in this thread and have been using it since.

We used a SS needle from my wife Sonya's "tool box" and the rest from stuff around the house.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife who has no interest in reefing has found a new hoby, killing mojanos.

She wanted to use the zapper so I told her to leave me some mojanos because some people who come over like to try the thing.

She zapped all of my mojanos in a few minutes. Now I have to find some and feed them to make them grow so I can have other people Zap them.

My daughter loves this also.

• 1 month later...

Too bad I didn't have these Zappers when you guys invited me to speak out there. I would have donated some to the raffle wirth those rubber bulb feeder things.

Are you guys still using those?

So far I made over 60 Zappers and I am just about keeping up. I applied for a patent and hopefully they will one day be manufactured by a company besides me.

I don't know when that will be or how much they will cost. I don't buy anything from China so I want to get then built here in the US if that is possable.

th_MVI_0487.jpg

Too bad I didn't have these Zappers when you guys invited me to speak out there. I would have donated some to the raffle wirth those rubber bulb feeder things.

Are you guys still using those?

So far I made over 60 Zappers and I am just about keeping up. I applied for a patent and hopefully they will one day be manufactured by a company besides me.

I don't know when that will be or how much they will cost. I don't buy anything from China so I want to get then built here in the US if that is possable.

I was getting ready to ask if you had applied for a patent.

So I built one of these this weekend for the fun of it as well. I didn't have the time or patience to pull the lead out of a pencil (and didn't have a carpenters pencil), so I made mine with a little carbon fiber rod.

It's carbon right? Did I do a booboo? Seems to work fine, but should I be worried about some other contaminats I might not be thinking of?

I applied for a patent

Hmmm, since these were openly discussed in other forums by others (from the start) before this particular development, won't you have difficulty defending a claim should someone infringe?

I don't think so. my last fish related patent was also openly discussed for a year before I received the patent.

It's not a big deal, if I can't patent the thing my life will go on and I will do something else. Tom, as you know, I am retired and don't really need a zapper business. :tongue:

It's carbon right? Did I do a booboo?

I think carbon would be fine. You just can't use carbon brushes from an electric motor as they have copper in them

Edited by paul b

• 3 weeks later...

I am having wierd occurances when I zap mojanos. It seems that I have more amphipods than I thought because whenever I zap a mojano, I see one or two amphipods running out of the holes near the mojano. But the wierd thing is that these stomatella, or shelless snails, seem to be atttracted to the zapper.

I didn't even know I had so many of these stomatella's but almost everywhere I zap, one of these "snails" comes practically running towards the commotion. They stop just before the mojano that is getting zapper and try to touch it with their antenna.

They don't like the feel of it as they pull back their antenna but they stay right there next to it and "hang out".

This happens about half the times I zap something.

I can't explain it. I am not sure if they are attracted to the electricity of the hydrogen gas.

Also those banded tentacles that you see sticking out of the holes which are mostly brittle stars, reach out to grab pieces of destroyed mojano. It seems that they only like to eat them after they are cooked as they never touch the living mojanos.

You can see a stomatella just under the chromis, he came out to "watch me zap a mojano right where he is

IMG_0726.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am still trying to figure this out and would like to do a test by leeping a small amount of electricity going in one area and see if I can get a bunch of Stomatella to come running.

I can't tell if they are curious of if they smell burning mojano. I also wonder if this can be used to trap certain creatures.

I love to experiment.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, everybody!

This is Paul B's wife, best friend, dive buddy and very rarely his critic. However, this time I must boast about this "Zapper" thing. I can't believe my husband, Paul B, finally got me hooked into this hobby in some small way and it was fun too--much to my surprise. I loved zapping with his new invention. Who would have thought? Our tank is looking better than ever now that I am involved with the clean up. You see fish is Paul's passion and mine seems always to be cleaning up something or another. Anyway, I am really proud of this guy and his latest invention. By the time I was finished, there was not even a hint of a mojano or tentacle in site of our 40-year old reef.

P.S. Hello Tom and all you people at WAMAS

Dale005.jpg

Edited by paul b

Hi Dale! You do look like you're having some fun there. Thanks for all of your encouragement and support. Without you, I'm sure Paul wouldn't be nearly as successful as he's been in keeping that tank going all of these years. I'm sure that he'd say the same.