Aiptasia/Mojano Burner

El Camaron

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its awesome he felt the need to point this out...

Later that week, while my family was out of the house, I went to work removing the ballast from the ceiling of the hall closet and taking the brass doorbell off the front of the house.

That way he wouldnt have to hear "What the &%*$ are you doing???"

Im not sure I have the guts to try it, although it does seem that it would work...

Hmmm.... I can already think of much safer ways to build that thing. I wonder if it would kill nuisance palythoas? :)

bob

Haven't there been a couple of threads lately about how quickly copper wires dissovle in saltwater when you're running current through it? Seems the thin wire you'd want to use would corrode fairly quickly and end up in the water column.

Doesn't mean you couldn't use a different conductor that isn't so toxic to invertebrates though...

Haven't there been a couple of threads lately about how quickly copper wires dissovle in saltwater when you're running current through it? Seems the thin wire you'd want to use would corrode fairly quickly and end up in the water column.

Doesn't mean you couldn't use a different conductor that isn't so toxic to invertebrates though...

This is an interesting device but probably for reasons other than those mentioned. My first inclination is to believe that some copper will unavoidably wind up in the water column because it's going to set up an electrolysis reaction. Under normal situations, electrolysis is performed using a DC voltage. In that reaction, chlorine gas will form at one terminal (the anode) and hydrogen gas is released at the other terminal (the cathode). At the same time, copper ions migrate from the anode to the cathode - redepositing there. Thus, one terminal becomes lighter while the other becomes heavier. However, depending upon the distance between the electrodes, this migration will likely be incomplete and some copper will wind up in the water column.

I said that was my first inclination. What I'm curious about is how the traditional electrolysis experiment changes when an AC voltage is used. If I'm not mistaken, the doorbell ballast is pretty much just a step-down transformer with an AC output. In that situation, there is no static anode and cathode, but the terminals alternate in polarity just as the high-side input voltage does. In our case, this would be 60 times per second. Thus, as a copper ion is released from one terminal, it may find itself returning to the same terminal 1/60th of a second later as the polarity of the terminal changes. Almost without a doubt, some ions would escape, but how many and how would it compare to the DC case?

This would be an interesting science fair project....

:drink: nuts :why: my luck I would die and my kids would have to say to everyone they meet"he died because of his fish tank" :cry:

(edited)

I am so glad you posted that. I have been working on the same thing only with a lot more power and DC current.

Those door bell transformers are (I think) isolation transformers but the one I am using, I am sure is an isolation transformer meaning that tha current going through the anemone must return to the low voltage transformer and there is no chance of electrocuting the fish, yourself, or burning the house down.

Mineuses stainless steel probes so I don't need to worry about copper in the tank.

I started building it a long time ago and never finished but it is good to know, such low AC voltage will do the job.

The large black box to the left of the picture is my power supply, yes I know it is a little overkill and it would kill an elephant

IMG_0323.jpg

Edited by paul b

I am so glad you posted that. I have been working on the same thing only with a lot more power and DC current.

Those door bell transformers are (I think) isolation transformers but the one I am using, I am sure is an isolation transformer meaning that tha current going through the anemone must return to the low voltage transformer and there is no chance of electrocuting the fish, yourself, or burning the house down.

Mineuses stainless steel probes so I don't need to worry about copper in the tank.

I started building it a long time ago and never finished but it is good to know, such low AC voltage will do the job.

The large black box to the left of the picture is my power supply, yes I know it is a little overkill and it would kill an elephant

IMG_0323.jpg

:idea: that's why people that do not know anything about Electricity(like myself) should not mess with it :ohmy:

that's why people that do not know anything about Electricity(like myself) should not mess with it

That is very true, it is extreamly easy to kill yourself. I have been a professional electrician for 40 years and an inventer longer than that.

Not that I have not "almost" killed myself a few times but I just need to experiment.

Someone does or we would never learn anything. :idea:

The prototype mojano shocker seems to work. It has been about 2 hours and they did not re appear.

I am using 24 volts DC.

When I have time I will finish the thing and make it much better looking. :rolleyes:

If you use a 24 volt battery for this, there is no danger to you, the corals, or the house.

Don't use something that you have to plug in.

The anemone immediately shrinks and turns kind of slimy looking.

I am curious to see if they return (and try to zap me) :rolleyes:

Also, "No" it will not shock your corals, fish, you or anything else.

My hermit crab was actualy standing on a mojano as I zapped it and I think he kind of enjoyed it as he went and had a cigarette afterwards.

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

do you have any instructions on how to build one like yours?

Yes, but it is still in the testing stage. I am experimenting with different voltages, currents, durations and electrode seperation.

The finished tool uses sewing needles encased in shrink tubeing to keep the copper out of te tank. The eye of the needle allows the wire to be inserted through to make a solid connection.

I have found that a little more current makes quick work of the job. When the tip is inserted into the mojano, it begins to bubble profusely with the anemone disentigrating and floating away with the bubbles in a white sticky mess.

I don't know how much amperage I am using but the next time I try it I will put an amp meter in series with it for a test.

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

I tested the amperage and it uses 350 MAs or mili amps. Hardly enough to light a flashlight lamp.

I am thinking it is the gasses it injecte into the animal rather than the current that kills them :idea:

I am now fairly sure it is the gas generated from one of the electrodes that destroys the mojano and not the current.

Here is a close up of the electrode emitting the gas. (I am not sure if it is oxygen, hydrogen or chlorine)

The anemone turns white and totally disentigrates and becomes part of the bubbles.

IMG_0367.jpg

COOL! Way to go Paul! I think there would be many members willing to test this for you... :biggrin: I'm glad you are trying to figure this one out. Keep us posted!