Snow accumulation estimates

flowerseller

The apartment management here is crazy. They put a sign in the building saying they are going to mark spaces "no parking" so they can plow the parking lot, and anyone in those spaces will get towed - I guess they plan on digging out all the people with 4+ fit mounds of ice & snow chunks, put there by people who shoveled others in when shoveling themselves out.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Issued by The National Weather Service

Baltimore/Washington, MD

11:58 am EST, Mon., Feb. 8, 2010

... WINTER STORM WATCH NOW IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING...

THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NOW IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE... SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS... POTENTIAL FOR 8 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW. THERE IS A GOOD LIKELIHOOD OF SNOW IN EXCESS OF 10 INCHES.

* TIMING... MID TO LATE AFTERNOON TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

* TEMPERATURES... TEMPERATURES NEAR FREEZING AT THE ONSET TUESDAY AFTERNOON. TEMPERATURES WILL DROP INTO THE UPPER 20S TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY.

* WINDS... LIGHT SOUTHEASTERLY WINDS TUESDAY BECOMING NORTH- NORTHWESTERLY 15 TO 25 MPH WEDNESDAY.

I work for my buddy shoveling snow for 2 dozenn commercial lots (mostly Commercial Verizon locations and Bank of America in Arlington, Falls Church, Fairfax and Centreville)

Worked shoveling snow for 32hrs on last big storm (20")

7hrs on 7" storm last week.

25hrs on this one with 2'.

DEAD TIRED! Got to love chains for my truck, except when one link broke and took all the paint off the side of my truck!!!

ANYONE know a place to get a truck painted???

:(

I work for my buddy shoveling snow for 2 dozenn commercial lots (mostly Commercial Verizon locations and Bank of America in Arlington, Falls Church, Fairfax and Centreville)

Worked shoveling snow for 32hrs on last big storm (20")

7hrs on 7" storm last week.

25hrs on this one with 2'.

DEAD TIRED! Got to love chains for my truck, except when one link broke and took all the paint off the side of my truck!!!

ANYONE know a place to get a truck painted???

:(

Well if you want to travel up to Maryland go to either the Koons Ford Body Shop and ask for Rich or Gott Auto Body and tell them both Philip Oxman sent you. They should both give you a fair price. Koons Ford will be the cheaper one hands down, but they both do quality work!

Quite angry about that. I'm getting stir crazy :angry:

Stir Crazy!!! :hammer: I'm going Stir Crazy!!! Never did I think I'd see the day that it would be a treat to go to WalMart.

I have a valtines day trip to norfolk paid for and Now I'm going to have to cancle... anyway we were supposed to go to the aquarium what a bummer!

Where is the 10 - 20 inches of snow? It can't have been more than 6" here. The wind did not even start blowing till about an hour ago.

I was out shoveling between 10:30 and 2:15 already today - I can't see there being more than a couple more inches unless it snows well into night.

Where is the 10 - 20 inches of snow? It can't have been more than 6" here. The wind did not even start blowing till about an hour ago.

I was out shoveling between 10:30 and 2:15 already today - I can't see there being more than a couple more inches unless it snows well into night.

Yeah, the national weather service downed the estimate last night to 7-15" or something like that.

Got some real bad drifts here with the wind.

Yeah, the national weather service downed the estimate last night to 7-15" or something like that.

Got some real bad drifts here with the wind.

montgomery county was bumped up to 20-30 this afternoon. seems a bit high to me, but it makes me wonder what they're seeing.

pretty hard to tell how much we've had this time. it's been blowing hard since 10 am and all the new snow has filled in the low spots - the 3 feet deep trench we call a sidewalk is completely gone now, but the high spots of piled snow have only added a few inches. I'd guess a good 12" have fallen out in the fields

12.5" around here (Alexandria)...that is both 7"-15" and 10"-20". They say we might get 1-2" more by 1am.

Issued by The Weather Channel

7:43 pm EST, Wed., Feb. 10, 2010

The latest snowfall reports from The National Weather Service in Baltimore MD/Washington, DC: Eldersburg, 24.0"... Emmitsburg, 23.5"... Jefferson, 22.0"... near Glyndon, 22.0"... Parkton, 21.0"... Freeland, 21.0"... near Arlington, 20.9"... near Garrison, 20.3"... near Gaither, 20.0"... near Long Green, 20.0"... 4 miles east of Smithsburg, 20.0"... near Balt-wash Intl A, 19.5"... near Fallston, 19.5"... Street, 19.0"... near Parkton, 19.0"... near Parkville, 18.8"... Monkton, 18.7"... near Myersville, 18.0"... near Green Haven, 17.5"... near Hagerstown, 17.1"... Edgewood, 17.0"... near Elkridge, 16.5"... Green Haven, 16.5"... near South Gate, 16.2"... Hancock, 15.8"... Owings Mills, 15.0"... Timonium, 14.5"... near Jacksonville, 14.5"... near Oella, 14.0"... near Mcdonogh, 14.0"... American University, 14.0"... near Perry Hall, 14.0"... near Benson, 13.7"... near Simpsonville, 13.6"... near Churchton, 13.5"... near Olney, up to 10.5"... near Martinsburg, up to 16.0"... near Bethesda, up to 10.0"... near Savage, up to 18.0"... near Lineboro, up to 23.0"... near Barcroft, up to 9.8"... near Germantown, up to 18.0"... near Leesburg, up to 12.0"... near Centreville, up to 9.0"... near Alexandria, up to 12.5".

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

Crazy stuff from the NWS. I like the part about enjoying your favorite indoor activities...

Issued by The National Weather Service

Baltimore/Washington, MD

5:05 pm EST, Wed., Feb. 10, 2010

... EXTREMELY DANGEROUS WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS CONTINUE THIS EVENING FOR THE BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON REGION... CENTRAL MARYLAND... SOUTHERN MARYLAND... AND THE EXTREME EASTERN PANHANDLE OF WEST VIRGINIA...

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE THIS EVENING. DESPITE THE FACT THAT THE STORM IS WINDING DOWN LATER THIS EVENING... GUSTY WINDS TO 40 MPH WILL CONTINUE TO PRODUCE GROUND BLIZZARD CONDITIONS DUE TO BLOWING AND FALLING SNOW.

WHILE ALL REGIONS IN THE AREA ARE EXPERIENCING EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CONDITIONS... BALTIMORE COUNTY... THE CITY OF BALTIMORE... ANNE ARUNDEL... HOWARD... FREDERICK... CARROLL... AND HARFORD COUNTIES IN MARYLAND ARE EXPERIENCING PARTICULARLY HAZARDOUS WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS THROUGH 10:00 PM.

PEOPLE ARE ENCOURAGED TO SIMPLY STAY INSIDE... ENJOY YOUR FAVORITE INDOOR ACTIVITIES... AND RIDE THIS STORM OUT... THE HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS WILL BE IMPROVING LATER THIS EVENING. STAYING OFF THE ROAD WILL HELP LOCAL AND STATE TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENTS BETTER CLEAR KEY TRANSPORTATION CORRIDORS.

IF YOU GET STRANDED IN YOUR VEHICLE... DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CAR TO TRY TO WALK FOR ASSISTANCE... YOU CAN QUICKLY BECOME DISORIENTED IN WIND DRIVEN SNOW AND COLD. THIS STORM WILL SUBSIDE EARLY THIS EVENING... SO WAIT IN YOUR CAR FOR EMERGENCY HELP TO ARRIVE. PERIODICALLY RUN YOUR ENGINE FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES EACH HOUR FOR HEAT. ENSURE YOUR EXHAUST PIPE IS CLEARED OF SNOW AND ICE. CRACK YOUR WINDOWS TO AVOID CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING. TIE A COLORED CLOTH TO YOUR CARS ANTENNA OR WINDOW TO BE VISIBLE TO RESCUERS. FROM TIME-TO-TIME... MOVE YOUR ARMS... LEGS... FINGERS... AND TOES TO KEEP BLOOD CIRCULATING.

It did end up snowing several more inches, and stopped like around 9pm. I went out and shoveled again for about an hour, then took a nice walk through the apartment complex - some of the drift formations I saw on my walk were amazing. I'm SO tired and sore from shoveling!

The governor was on today, said he was going to close state roads Thursday! I'm not sure which roads that would be, or how he intends that to happen, like in sections or what? On the news about an hour ago, they said Baltimore is under an emergency plan and absolutely no one besides plows and emergency vehicles are allowed on the roads - everyone else will be fined if driving.

Edited by treesprite

Great, my back already hurts.

I can't believe I am saying this, I just want to go back to work! I have cleaned every piece of equipment on the tank, re-aquascaped, changed water, and fragged everything I could. I am running out of stuff to do here.

Weather.com has for zip code 20886... snow Saturday 13th, more snow Wednesday 17th, and more snow Friday 19th.