MB7 Microbacter 7

El Camaron

who doses it and how? where do you add it, to your sump or tank? do you turn your skimmer of or not? do you mix it with tank water or just add it? and do you dose reef biofuel or vodka?

thanks

I bought a bottle after i talked to Oldreefer the other day and i just want to know how people are using this product before i start it. i would say my system is nutrient rich and i sometimes tend to overfeed.

I used it to help cycle a new tank. I just turn the skimmer off, per instructions, and add it to an area of high flow. You will see stringy brown growths in low flow areas the very next day if it is over-dosed. Otherwise it worked very well for me. You can definitely see the difference. Water is clearer. The problem is, I noticed as soon as you stop using it, water quality reverts back to pre-dose state. Because of that, I don't think MB7 contains self sustaining bacterial cultures. Therefore, you can't use it to seed bacterial populations.

-Robert

so did you add it to the main display? i think after im done with the bottle ill start some reef biofuel to see how that goes. Suposed to be like dosing vodka but more expensive since its the brightwell brand.

I used it for a month but always left my skimmer on. I read some horror stories where people turned theirs off and their fish died during the first few days.. I dosed right to the main display in front of the powerhead.

I just started the probidio (digest and bioptim) and just put in my second dose yesterday (so two weeks into it) so its still in the infancy stages, I am doing a photolog of it all, Ive had a little algea buildup on the glass (mainly from the rock i think) but so far it hasnt been an instantaneous change (wasnt expecting one) but you can definately see the polyp extension when you first dose it as if the lights are off.

Ive heard the same thing with this that once you stop water goes back to the way it was prior.

I just dose mine in the main near a powerhead and i do turn the skimmer off for a little while and have had no problems yet thankfully.

I think by turning off the skimmer (momentarily) you are allowing MB7 to stay in the water long enough to do its thing. I'm sure keeping the skimmer on works as well, but you are probably removing some of what you just added.

Any major metabolic action in a closed environment will result in fast depletion of oxygen, which will cause PH to drop. Leaving the skimmer off for prolonged periods during any type of bacterial or microbe dosing is a sure way to kill all your fish.

-R

so instead of the 4 hours reccomended should i just do one or two hours?

ive only been doing 30-45 min with no skimmer, i know i get some O put back in the tank just with the plumbing to the frag/sump etc

I've been running the MB7 for about 17 months. It is one of three products you need in running the Neozeo method of which I have been doing the same amount of time.

The so called horror stories are just that, stories and a crock of crap.

Lots of people have been using this product with great success not quite the way it was intended to be used, but all the better for Brightwell I suppose.

When used with the Zeo media, and boosted with the Biofuel the combination is quite impressive.