Water Parameters For Freshly Mixed Instant Ocean

bbyatv

I am looking to find out what parameters folks are getting from their freshly mixed Instant Ocean salt mix with RO/DI water (TDS =0, Temp=79 F, and aerated for 2 days).

I am using a calibrated refractometer and setting the salinity at 1.026 SG

I have 3 calcium test kits and all give me a reading of 310 ppm

I have 2 alkilinity test kits and boh give me 10.2 dKH

I have 2 magnesium test kits and both give me 960 ppm

According to the site below, with the salinity at 29.65 ppt (1.022 SG)

The calcium should be at 361 ppm (9 * 40.08) and

The magnesium should be at 1264 ppm (52 * 24.305)

So I am thinking my numbers should be higher given that with lower salinity the web site has higher numbers?

http://web.archive.org/web/20010303215133/...s/1/default.asp

Looking forward to seeing what others get.

Bruce

Edited by bbyatv

Hi Bruce,

On a IO fresh batch, at 1.026 SG, after 48 hours of mixing and aerating, my readings are:

CA (Saifert): 340

(API): 350

Alk (API): 6 DKH

(Salifert):2.14 meq/l

MG (Salifert): 1120

The above reading have been consistant from one batch to the next for the last two years, from one box of IO salt to another.

JM

Here is a very interesting article from the makers of Instant Ocean on why there might be variability in the major ionic components of synthetic sea water mixes. As expected they feel their mix is the best but still it does explain why there might be variability in the mixes.

This article was published in the Spring 1985 issue of Sea Scope

http://wamas.org/ftp_users/bbyatv/SS_Vol0...ChemArticle.pdf

Bruce

Here is IO's answer to the low parameters question and what the parameters should be (Ca 400, Mg 1320 @ 1.026 SG):

http://www.instantocean.com/sites/InstantO...mp;cnm=Sea+Salt

Seems like shaking the bag of salt up before you mix it might not be a bad idea to ensure consistency.

Here is a link to their SeaScope Magazine:

http://www.instantocean.com/sites/InstantO...er.aspx?id=1298

Bruce, IIRC IO historically has high alk and low calcium. I always un-stratify any salt when first I open the container. Even given the same manufacturer, different batches could give different measurements. Heck, if a batch sat on the floor for too long, it could stratify and when dumped into 2 different 5 gallon buckets, they could have different measurements. My process is un-stratify, measure values, then write on the bucket what I need to addend (Alk, Cal, Mag) to bring the batch up to acceptable levels. I then know how much to add to each successive batch that I mix from that bucket.

I repeat the un-stratify, measure and label with each new bucket.

G.

I am quickly understanding that I should do the same.

Open, shake, mix, measure, document, adjust.

Bruce

Bruce, IIRC IO historically has high alk and low calcium. I always un-stratify any salt when first I open the container. Even given the same manufacturer, different batches could give different measurements. Heck, if a batch sat on the floor for too long, it could stratify and when dumped into 2 different 5 gallon buckets, they could have different measurements. My process is un-stratify, measure values, then write on the bucket what I need to addend (Alk, Cal, Mag) to bring the batch up to acceptable levels. I then know how much to add to each successive batch that I mix from that bucket.

I repeat the un-stratify, measure and label with each new bucket.

G.

Mixed to 1.026, I get 380 for calcium, 10 dKH for alkalinity, and 1180 on magnesium. My boxes of IO are 6 months old, though (when I purchased about 1000 gallons worth). The latest numbers from RC's tests are showing that IO has boosted their calcium slightly to around 400 ppm and magnesium significantly so that it's mixing up to ~1300.

Hi, I just measured my Reef crystals parameters.

Newly mixed saltwater with RO/DI water aged 2 days

Salinity 1.026

Tetra Kit KH = 7.5-8.0 dkh

Elos KH = 10.0 - 10.5 dkh

Salifert KH = 10 dkh

salifert magnesium = 1380.00

Elos CA = 470-480

David