Locally collected New York stuff

paul b

How cute is this guy? He is the one I collected in the summer off an Atlantic ocean beach on the south side of Long Island, and doubled his size already. He is about 2"

This is of course my local animal tank and not my reef

IMG_0153.jpg

The rest of the collected stuff is all also well. These two butterflies and two wrasses are looking good as well as all of the local hermit crabs and local snails.

I have to step on stuff in this tank to kill anything and it is practically un lit, un filtered and un heated. There is a small HOB filter which is really clogged.

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

Paul, have you collected any of the coldwater tidal anemones? Daniel and Amber (see this month's TOTM) and others here have coldwater systems, maybe you could help supply them with local animals?

These are the only anemones I collected in new York. There are large white ones but I have to dive for them and I don't dive those locations anymore.

I am not collecting anything here now as it is 22 degrees

Anemone1.png

I have always been under the impression that non-tropical creatures are all drab and boring-looking, but looks like I am wrong!

He's too cute! Paul, are you referring to Long Beach? Over the Atlantic beach bridge?

How cute is this guy? He is the one I collected in the summer off an Atlantic ocean beach on the south side of Long Island, and doubled his size already. He is about 2"

This is of course my local animal tank and not my reef

IMG_0153.jpg

The rest of the collected stuff is all also well. These two butterflies and two wrasses are looking good as well as all of the local hermit crabs and local snails.

I have to step on stuff in this tank to kill anything and it is practically un lit, un filtered and un heated. There is a small HOB filter which is really clogged.

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

(edited)

Those fish are tropical, they came up on the Gulf stream. The wrasses I think are local.

We collected them on the south shore of Long Island, closer to the Oak Beach Inn.

That is just a 10 gallon tank with some rocks. I use it for things like this that I don't want in my reef. I don't want sand in there. When I change water in my reef I put my old water in there for water changes.

Soon I will be giving away those fish as I will be traveling and I have no one to care for them. That burrfish has very bad eyesight after an eye infection. I hand feed him every day and he eats like crazy.

Here he is after collection

boxfish007.jpg

puffer011.jpg

Edited by paul b

Paul, have you collected any of the coldwater tidal anemones? Daniel and Amber (see this month's TOTM) and others here have coldwater systems, maybe you could help supply them with local animals?

beat me to it! :biggrin:

Amber and I would be very interested in local species, especially inverts and small fish. Anything you could do on that front would be great, whether it's supply or even just some info on snorkel-friendly locations in the area and the animals you'd expect to see there. Darned difficult to get anything for a temperate aquarium from the usual sources.

These are the only anemones I collected in new York. There are large white ones but I have to dive for them and I don't dive those locations anymore.

I am not collecting anything here now as it is 22 degrees

Anemone1.png

beautiful anemone!

The Shinnecock Canal? OBI East/East Hampton? I had no idea that there were such treasures in those waters. I did open water dive for scuba out there somewhere but couldn't see a foot in front of me. Amazing.

Those fish are tropical, they came up on the Gulf stream. The wrasses I think are local.

We collected them on the south shore of Long Island, closer to the Oak Beach Inn.

That is just a 10 gallon tank with some rocks. I use it for things like this that I don't want in my reef. I don't want sand in there. When I change water in my reef I put my old water in there for water changes.

Soon I will be giving away those fish as I will be traveling and I have no one to care for them. That burrfish has very bad eyesight after an eye infection. I hand feed him every day and he eats like crazy.

Here he is after collection

boxfish007.jpg

puffer011.jpg

There is a lot more than that there, also look downs, big eyes seahorses and more pipefish than you can count. At least forty on every pull of the net.