WAMAS educational program

michaelg

Dear all,

I am strongly considering submitting to NOAA a grant application for our organization to develop a formal educational program for children.  I forsee this being a model for other groups such as our own in the not too distant future.  I know many of our members have kids, and I think this would be a great opportunity for us to give a little more to the community and heighten awareness on reef conservation issues.  Getting the money is something I can try to tackle with the help of a couple people- making this program work will take the interest of many.  I don't have specific details yet, but will within the month after I hash out some aims for the grant.  If you have ideas on what we should do, please either post them up here, or e-mail me directly.  Additionally, we will be needing a bit of help on this project, so contact me and I can give a list of the different things that I forsee needing help with.  Schools to set the program up in are also needed, and I can write something up if you are willing to take it to the teachers and principals of your own kids schools.  I forsee some of this being portable (presentations) and some of it fixed (aquaria in the classroom).  I will see what I can do to link this with the zoo project as well.  Time commitments can vary according to what you can offer.  This would also be a good opportunity for high school kids to get involved, as well as college age kids.

Michael

gerdesm@mail.nih.gov

Guest JFish

I don't think tanks in individual classrooms would work out too well but maybe getting a school to put up money for a system in say; the library, or main hall, and have it enclosed in a wall so people can't mess with things.  This way every student would get the opportunity to view it instead of a select few in a classroom and it would also be cheaper for the schools to get one nice system in a general meeting area than a bunch of tanks in individual classrooms.  

Just a thought...and it would really be need to walk into a school and see a large reef display enclosed in a wall in the main lobby or something and with a continuing club we will always be available for maintaining these things...I think the schools would enjoy the display they just haven't had opportunities to set something like this up and make it work.

Good idea though,

The problem with having it as a display is it would be a little more difficult (did not say prohibitive) to make it "educational".  It also becomes a maintenance issue.  In the classroom it can be used for science lectures and experimentation.  And a smaller tank would be a little more managable for someone who is not used to the hobby.  Not that a big display tank would be bad to look at anywhere...

my 2 cents.

I think this is a great idea.

mc

This is a very good Idea. what about Nano reefs, 5 -10 gal is not to hard to manage and can be given to many at a pretty low cost.

• 8 months later...
Guest Longhorn
I met some of you at the Oct. 18 mtg.  I teach at a local elementary school and am trying to get started with setting up a 10-gal. nano tank.  I don't know anything about anything but am willing to learn. One of your member's daughters is in my class and I have been working with him so far.  I need ideas on procuring funds through grants, sponsorship, etc. for the tank.  Anyone have any other ideas?  Thanks

• 5 months later...

Hello,

Im robert burgee a 15 year old a freshman at calvert hall, im intrested in this porject.  At school next year were going to start a club involving aquaria fresh and saltwater, and we're going to be setting up a 50 gal or so reef in the bio lab.  Ive got the filtration and a 175 wt mh with pcs, now i need some misc. stuff.  LMK what you guys think of this

Robert

Sounds great!  

Try to make it to our next meeting and see if the presentation would be worthwhile for your group.  We have several other presentations on hand as well that I am sure one of us could come up there and give a presentation or 2.

Robert,

We have been working with PTA's and the Fairfax County Public Schools to focus on reef science in the classroom.  We have a meeting coming up on April 14 I would like you to consider joining us at with the PTA.  Your project would be most informative to them.

I will PM info on how to contact me off the boards.

Steve

WAMAS President

Guest goblinshark
Im 15 up here in Montgomery county MD, im setting up a mantis shrimp tank for my sciece teacher. im doing essay contests, projects...next year wanna do something with coral for the science fair.  Might get a internship at the National aquarium of DC when im 16.  im doing tons, marine science camp in the summertime.  Been goin on this since 2nd grade.

Ben- I can probably help you with your Science project for next year.  Will know better in a couple of months.  I am over here at NIH.

Another place to consider volunteering is the invert exhibit at the National Zoo.  We have a good representation from the club doing work down there.

Michael

To tell you all the truth, im only probaly going to beable to come on the 14 or the 17th not both, its about 2 hr, drive from my house to get to any wamas meetings alought i will try.

Robert

Steve ill give you a call tonight

Robert- we can always e-mail the presentations for you too look over.  Given an option of one of the 2 meetings- try to come in June.  Though plan to spend the whole day here :)  It will well be worth your time.

Great ideas :)

Robert, call me when the club starts to get going at CHCHS. I am willing to either donate or help buy items at our cost, as long as they will be used at the school. Same goes for the WAMAS projects.

We are waiting to start work this summer on a very interesting project for a special school that is being funded by outside investors. We will be installing and maintaining two aquarium exhibits (fresh and reef)...but will also be developing a learning/training program for the students and staff to learn about the systems, and to perform water quality and brief lab work on. Each month we will also be doing a mini-volunteer lectures/training days in which we will present a topic regarding the systems to discuss, etc. Once this gets rolling, I was thinking of bringing in WAMAS/CMAS for some of these mini-meetings especially since it looks great for the clubs to be involved, and offers diversity of opinion :)

If we can be of any help, feel free to call or email. Thanks, Rich

Mucho Mucho Gracias Rick!!!!!!  This is totally in line with our mission, and I feel the people in the area have soooo much to offer on an educational front.  Nothing like "spreading the love"  and we as aquarists, who have this passion, need to spread the word and help others develop an appreciation for the planet under water.

How you ever make any money I don't know.  Your generosity is very much appreciated!!!    :D  8-]]

No problem Michael. I try to pimp myself out locally when the money comes in slow :) jk

Actually it is tough sometimes due to the amount of incoming~outgoing livestock we order for both Columbia and Charlotte...but we get by :) 80% of our business is service oriented so thats where our major funding comes from. If things are educationally based, we do not seek to make profits, unless we are doing the service end of the deal (which we can't do for free...yet!). If it is something a local club is organizing, I will work with the members to allow them to order items at our cost (as long as they are used in the school, and not Billy's home aquarium) and sometimes depending on the month can probably help defray the cost with monetary or equipment donation. On the CMAS and WAMAS side, we rarely make enough to cover the freight and time spent preparing for the events, but this is the only pseudo retail we do, and only because you guys are experienced hobbyists. How a retailer can sell just about anything to anyone that walks through the door has always made me curious, but that is why I am not retail based :)

How a retailer can sell just about anything to anyone that walks through the door has always made me curious

Actually it makes me quite furious!

Thanks for the offer Rich, I'm certain we will be taking you up on it!

Guest goblinshark
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!  I just got back from meeting with Tammy at the zoo and guess who the new intern at the Invert House is!!:laugh:

• 3 months later...
Thought I would jump in with a suggestion. I work for a videoconferencing company here in NOVA. There are plenty of interactive ways for schools to use the web to access live video feeds of a tank. Can even take camera control and pan, tilt, and zoom in on various items of interest in the tank. Eliminates the hassle of moving, the problems with maintenence, depending on where it is located. Zoos have always had the ability to use web cams, but there are ways to take it further and more interactive. Our company has been taking "virtual field trips" with the Fairfax Co. P.S. for the last couple of years. In any event, I'm sure I could get equipment (as long as there are logos!) to be used. Anyone know if the zoo is doing anything similar now?

• 3 years later...

sorry to jump in you guys, but being a student and all i am well aware that even a nano tank gets kids all excited up. You don't need to have expensive things but it just gives kids this feeling of joy...

I'd say $50-$100 is a great tank!

But i am also for the idea of one central tank in the lobby. Just one question for that--- If it was in the lobby the kids wouldn't be able to really get a good look at it, they would just have to walk on by...