Dave's 90 Gallon Renovation

mogurnda

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll show my ignorance here. I thought it was a valida. How do you tell the difference?

The nana is thinner branched and radial corallites are smaller and rarely touch while valida has mostly all radials touching. Acropora nana has a smaller branch size, 2.5mm-9mm, while valida ranges 10mm-20mm.

The tank looks great with nice growth rates for a year.

It was yellow with blue polyps in my tank. If that is the all blue one, it is beautiful! Must keep that alive for me when I return to sps.

Didn't know you left. Will try not to kill it until you get back. A little more growth and I'll probably SWAP it.

The nana is thinner branched and radial corallites are smaller and rarely touch while valida has mostly all radials touching. Acropora nana has a smaller branch size, 2.5mm-9mm, while valida ranges 10mm-20mm.

That's very helpful. I remember somehing about nana having more "appressed" radial corallites, I guess that's what that means.

Tank's looking fantastic man and +1 on the growth spurt.

Thanks. I have been trying to not fuss, and just let it grow. The goal is to have no rock visible.

Thanks. I have been trying to not fuss, and just let it grow. The goal is to have no rock visible.

That BTA is helping you get that goal accomplished. How long have you had it?

That BTA is helping you get that goal accomplished. How long have you had it?

Yeah, along with roasting a few corals. Got it as a door prize at a frag fest 3 years ago. It has never split, just keeps growing.

• 5 weeks later...

Shooting the new ORA mandarins, and a few other shots. The mandarins are wonderful, but they feed as slowly and methodically as wild caught. No jumping after pellets, just cruising and nipping at pods and prawn roe.

Clem, the male:

ClemDSC00305.jpg

clemDSC00304.jpg

Tina, the female. A little smaller and not as bold.

tinaDSC00273.jpg

tinaDSC00264.jpg

wormDSC00284.jpg

bunnyDSC00289.jpg

wholeDSC00310.jpg

They are very small. He's about two inches, nose to tail, and she's about half an inch smaller. They spend most of their time hanging in the engineers' burrows, and it's impressive to see the tiny mandarins next to the giant heads of the engineers. That will be a good picture, if I can get it.

• 3 years later...

What happened to this tank?!

After about a year and a half of neglect, it is getting back on track. After a Darwinian struggle, some of the corals were massively overgrown, and Anthelia and red mushrooms were at plague levels.  Sadly, I lost the rabbitfish, tang and mandarin when I was in Mexico this summer.  I am very happy that the engineers and clowns made it through OK.

Since getting back, I hacked back the nana, the heliopora, and the leathers that had taken over (thanks fragfest!), and things are starting to look a lot better.  Just replaced the fuge light and refilled the Ca reactor, and I am getting my new Evergrow lights to replace the halides, and hope to get some new fish in the next few weeks.  

Should have taken photos when it was at its worst, just to chart the recovery.  I guess it's time to post some photos.

Thanks for asking.

(edited)

I can't believe I have not updated this thread in 3.5 years.  Starting 2012, life got complicated, and the tank became an experiment in which corals can survive neglect.  Heliopora, Acropora nana, Sarcophyton, Monti cap, Sinularia and GBTA are the winners, in that they survived and even thrived.

Now it is time to clean the place up.  I wish I had taken a photo of the tank full of giant nana, Sinularia and toadstool before hacking it all down, but there is what it looks like now.  It can only go up from here.

The tank, stand and canopy.  LEDs will be installed this weekend.  {Photobucket is driving me nuts with the orientation, bear with me}

TankStandLight080614_1787_zps73a73643.jp

Full tank shot.

whole080614_1794_zpse771a177.jpg

The giant anemone has turned into four, and the clownfish want their big house back.

clownAnemone_1798_zps25617f43.jpg

Edited by mogurnda

Looks great!

Thanks.  I am hoping to a major upgrade this weekend.  It is slowly getting back on track.

Thanks, folks. 

I did a lot of work over the weekend, much of it unintended  :huh:

The sump had turned into something of a bog, so it was time for a good cleaning.

sump_dirty_1806_zpse1c83b85.jpg

Unfortunately, I managed to crack it while removing it for cleaning.  That led to a mad dash to Tropical Lagoon for a new 29 gallon, and a few fittings.  Fortunately, my diamond bit had one more hole left in it, so I could install a bulkhead.  After a few trips to the hardware store, the fittings were ready, the baffles installed, and a new, sparkly clean sump was in place.

sump_new_1841_zpsc635f25f.jpg

The next morning, it was up and running.

sump_new_full_1844_zps537e2e24.jpg

Next installment: new LED lights!

• 4 years later...

I just installed a Reef Breeders 48" V2 LED light, replacing the old IT2080.  Love the low profile and the excellent colors.  Thought it was a good time for a long-overdue update.  

Full tank shot.  The anemone now owns about half the tank, with an island of mixed corals on the other half.

1050185_full_010519-1024x720.jpg

The clowns love their mcmansion.

1050154_anemone010519-1024x840.jpg

They were posing, so I played with the macro function.

1050228_clowns010519-1024x768.jpg

The angels and engineers are being shy, so no photos of the rest of the fish today.

Softies and hammer.

1050200_trio0101519-1024x806.jpg

The 27 cube with turtle grass and Bryopsis (for the slugs) has been enjoying the nutrients from the 90, and is getting overgrown.  Time to thin the grass.

1050172_BOS2010519-1024x811.jpg

The slugs are happy, though.  This photo actually shows two, but they are squished together while mating.

210119_elysiamating112118-1024x682.jpg

Some eggs from a recent brood.  The group is producing about an egg mass per week, on average.

210110_eggs112118-768x1024.jpg

Out for a morning crawl.

210093_elysia112118-1024x768.jpg

More soon.

Lol, 4 years later. Lmk if you get any splits off that green anemone. I gave a ton away back in the day, but they all have disappeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Lol, 4 years later. Lmk if you get any splits off that green anemone. I gave a ton away back in the day, but they all have disappeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You saying I post too often?  :rollface:

The anemone never splits unless it's really stressed, so I am hoping not to see a split for a while.  You're first on the list, though.