Dave's 90 Gallon Renovation

mogurnda

After 5 years, I think I have the tank I want. I learned a lot with the first tank, which I won in a WAMAS raffle in 2004. For some of the details, look here.

The tank evolved, then came the opportunity for big change when we wanted to redo the floor. It got moved temporarily, and sat by the side of the room for a fewmonths while I waited for the new stand. I learned how much I like a drilled tank, and could not wait for my redesigned sump.

oldTank_whole_0944.jpg

Joanna was very patient waiting for the room to get back in order.

The stand arrived, and thanks to help from neighbors and WAMAS members, it is set up and running.

whole_cherryStand_wide_1192.jpg

The goal was to be self contained and simple, with as little visible plumbing as possible. I still need to tame a few wires, but it's close to what I want. The cabinet below the stand is a bit cramped, but works.

sump_1178.jpg

I am very happy that I left 18" behind. It makes working there infinitely easier.

behind_1167.jpg

The overflow is a modified Calfo horizontal, running 1/3 the length. I am so glad I got rid of the AGA megaflow, which took up way too much real estate on the already cramped bottom of a 90.

overflow_1172.jpg

Quick summary:

90 gallon AGA

Horizontal overflow with two 3/4" bulkheads going to 1.25" modified Durso drain.

29 gallon sump

Euroreef skimmer

Eheim 1260 return

DaveCo Ca reactor (i.e. DIY)

Vortech MP40

AquaController Jr

Sunlight Maristar 2X250 MH, 2X54 T5

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice start, Dave. Good thinking on using that modified Calfo to get more real estate on the bottom. It should improve your overall flow, too.

Let me know when you want some of your orange monti back. I've got a good sized piece I've been holding for you. It's got great shape and color.

Nice start, Dave. Good thinking on using that modified Calfo to get more real estate on the bottom. It should improve your overall flow, too.

Let me know when you want some of your orange monti back. I've got a good sized piece I've been holding for you. It's got great shape and color.

Thanks! Now that I have real estate, I have been thinking about the frags I have been offered over the past year. Will definitely contact you about the monti after I get back in a few weeks.

Looking great man!!! Love the "modern" look to your stand. If I ever get up the nerve to do so, i've been tossing around the idea of drilling my display.

Looking great man!!! Love the "modern" look to your stand. If I ever get up the nerve to do so, i've been tossing around the idea of drilling my display.

The drilling was nerve-wracking, but worth it. I was all ready just to use the tank with the megaflow, but that tank leaked when I was testing it. Actually, it always seemed to have an inexplicable collection of water around the bottom frame. Anyway, that put me into a funk until my wife asked

Everything looks very happy. The inhabitants probably didn't even notice you moved them. War scars on that Heliopora definitely give it some character ;)

Looks good, some of that stuff really dropped in size.

Thanks to you all for helping me thin them out.

One last photo. One of the guys who helps make those "interesting" contours in the sandbed. These are my favorite fish, and I hope some day to get the other 90% of the body. Getting a head shot took two years, so the rest should only take another 8 years or so.

engineer_1223.jpg

When i had a part time job cleaning tanks (after being laid off) there was an engineer goby in one of the tanks in a hospus that would swim around all day long, but he only had like 3 rocks to dig under, they are soo much bigger then i thought they were seeing how you only ever see the head.

Anyways nice lookin tank, i have a 90g going as well and was afraid the 2 3/4 holes that came with the tank werent big enough but seem to do just fine on yours, This will be my first attempt at a Calflo so hopefully it goes well...

I like the GBTA, looks like the clowns have a McMansion.

Edited by Der ABT

• 1 month later...

There's been a little progress, but it is still early days. Did away with some of the locline and added an eductor, so I have a turbulent area on the left for the SPS I now have room for. Tidied the wires and pipes.

whole_1914a.jpg

Some of the corals. The blue ridge healed up and encrusted nicely.

heliopora_1904.jpg

Random coral images. Good as a baseline for growth.

birdsnest_1863.jpg

valida_1862.jpg

frogspawn_1884.jpg

zoas_1906.jpg

This toadstool is in the back, and is working its way up. Should climb to a nice spot between the birdsnest and the valida(?) in a month or two.

toadstool_1877.jpg

More soon, including the long-lost mystery coral.

Nice work. The tank looks so much cleaner now.
Thanks! I am really enjoying the look, and am trying to keep from fussing with it too much.

• 2 months later...

Nice pick up, tank looks great.

Thanks! It will soon be time for some updates on growth and new corals. I have been really enjoying just sitting and watching for the past few months.

• 3 weeks later...

The original thread is here, although the images may be lost. I removed the priming valve, and added an inline pH probe, so the design is a little out of date.

• 2 months later...

It's continuing to settle in. I have added a few corals and some live rock, but mostly I am just going to let it grow.

whole_2473.jpg

Doug's verweiyi

verweiyi_2484.jpg

"Catalina's Choice" gemmifera. The polyps are turning a nice green.

gemmifera_2482.jpg

More in a bit. Time is fragmented.

Looks great!! A couple of those corals look familiar - the purple birdsnest, and the purple-tipped acropora nana. :)

bob

Looks great!! A couple of those corals look familiar - the purple birdsnest, and the purple-tipped acropora nana. :)

bob

Thank, Bob. I expect that most of the corals look familiar, because almost all of them are from other members' tanks :cool:

Another one of the BZA orphans. This one RTN'ed at the beginning, but is coming back. It will be interesting to see what color it will settle on.

unk_acro_2486.jpg

Almon's green tort has put on some branches.

greentort_1974.jpg

greentort_2487.jpg

Bunnyhead says hi.

bunnuyhead_2481.jpg

the purple-tipped acropora nana.

I'll show my ignorance here. I thought it was a valida. How do you tell the difference?