My new coral greenhouse

ctenophore

Not really, I took all the coral tubs out to focus on Avast.  Now there are a bunch of tropical plants out there, with a couch and a hammock :)  My banana plant has grown baby bananas though!

I am thinking (again) of building a large glass and steel display tank out there.  I have room for a 10'x5.5'x5'.  Maybe it will happen this spring or summer?

Wow, nice! 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need a big tank and another hammock for napping.  WAMAS should double the membership price and there should be a sign up list for priority in the extra hammock.  Priority should be given by number of posts.  This will suddenly become the most active aquarium society in the country.

Looks pretty nice! I fear if you add the large tank out there you are looking at big humidity and maybe mold issues with the nice things you've already placed in the room.

No, if I build it, it would be designed to be completely sealed with locking lids to prevent exactly this.  There is already humidity from all the plants (they put lot of water into the air) but it isn't too bad.  It averages about 50-60% even in winter.

• 1 year later...

I finally got around to setting up a reef tank in the greenhouse again.

https://youtu.be/uJWT1DpsiNE

I just moved a bunch of frags that were growing in my frag tank for the past year or two. Some are pretty good sized colonies now.

The plan for this tank is to be my sps high energy reef. Lighting is obviously full sun, but also 2 radion g2 for night time and blue accent. Flow is 4x gyre 150.

I'll take some daytime shots soon. Still have some cleanup to do and a few more corals to plant. I'm curious to see how fast some of these corals grow (especially in summer) compared to only LED lighting in my other tank which is plumbed to this one.

jeez, I leave you for a couple days and it goes from a couple test frags to full-on reef tank! you weren't kidding about getting it done. good work and keep us posted as time allows, sir.

Edited by monkiboy

jeez, I leave you for a couple days and it goes from a couple test frags to full-on reef tank! you weren't kidding about getting it done. good work and keep us posted as time allows, sir.

I figured I put it off long enough. Also, I wanted to take advantage of the winter solstice to gradually acclimate all the frags from only LED to full sun. For the test frags I used 50% blue theater gel, but have since taken that off with only clear polycarbonate tops on the tank which are about 90% transmittant. PAR averages about 100 in the morning to about 500 at mid day in winter. That should increase to about 1500 in the summer. Basically equivalent to 1000w 6500k iwasaki bulbs.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I wish it was really show worthy, but it just got started. Laura, it's Anthony's old 330, but is only filled to within 5" from the top, so 280? gal. I hate sloshing water when I work in a tank. The gyres are at each end, one upside down along the bottom, the other 2" below water level. I wanted to put all of them against the bottom, but wasn't quite getting the gyre spin that i wanted. So they alternate from opposite sides, one high and one low, every 6 hours. Then 15 min of all off, slack tide. Then at the next switch, all on for 15 min to create chaotic flow and move any detritus piles. I'll do a better video with more detail in a few days.

Those are colonies, how big was your frag tank!? Glad to see this tank back in action. Looking forward to growth progress with natural light!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 years later...

Awwwww yeah! Would love to see a FTS, looks like everything else has been lost photo wise. 

• 2 weeks later...

So.

I guess I was lucky to take that last video above, as yesterday while I was standing out there, this happened.

I was lucky that I had a single rachet strap about 20 feet away in the garage, because (think fast! :ohmy:) by the time I ran to get it, the seam opened to the width of my finger and I lost about 75 gallons of water in about 20 seconds.  I thought I was going to lose the entire 8ft front pane onto the floor, along with everything in the tank.  So I just pulled on the ratchet as hard as I could and hoped the glass didn't crack from the point loading of the steel hook.  Thankfully it didn't, and after cranking down on it as hard as I possibly could, I got it back to leaking at about the rate in the pic.  I called a carpenter buddy of mine who lives down the street and again thankfully he a) was home and b) had a half dozen 33" heavy duty steel clamps on hand that I was able to go pick up within 10 minutes.  So I got the clamps in place and that stopped the leak completely.  Crazy.

So now I am in the process of moving everything out.  Some of my favorite pieces are going into my in-wall tank (you old wamas'ers may remember this from it's setup in 2008) but the rest I guess need to go to other homes.  The big question is, can I find a home for the immense pulsing sinularia that's the centerpiece colony of this tank, in the video I posted above last week.  It's on a roughly 50lb rock, and the colony itself is probably 36" x 30" x 18" and weighs about 70 lbs itself.  I really would rather not cut it up as it's quite a showpiece, but I realize there aren't many tanks that can house it.  Maybe somebody with an aquarium service company with a large tank client will want it? Free to a great home; I've grown it from a piece the size of my little finger about 10 years ago.

Anyone else who wants any of a variety of nice soft corals- blue discosoma mushrooms, blue/purple cespitularia, this stuff: https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/6667/liveaquaria-reg-ccgc-aquacultured-purple-anthelia-coral, various green & long polyp sarcophytons, blue & red photosynthetic sponge, etc., you're welcome to it.  I'll post pics/colonies as I move them out.  I'm trying to get it empty this weekend, as I'm on borrowed time as far as the clamps/leaking goes.  Just message me if you're interested.

leak.jpg

clamps.jpg

That is quite a leak!  Is something like a big plastic tub an option for temporary storage or the larger pieces?  They generally aren't too expensive and are possible to get a hold of locally if you have the intention of keeping them and setting something up to replace it.

3 minutes ago, DaJMasta said:

That is quite a leak!  Is something like a big plastic tub an option for temporary storage or the larger pieces?  They generally aren't too expensive and are possible to get a hold of locally if you have the intention of keeping them and setting something up to replace it.

Good ideas but I've already decided I'm going in a new direction with it.  I will likely turn this tank into a big paludarium with only a few inches of water at the bottom, with waterfalls, orchids, and maybe even dart frogs.  I may set up a round acrylic tank for my anemones in the greenhouse.  I'll miss the sunlit reef but time to try something new!

Update on the above: pretty much all the coral is spoken for.  The big sinularia has a home!

I took a few last top down shots and videos.

topdown_sinularia.jpg