My new coral greenhouse

ctenophore

Can't wait to arrange a VIP tour; and I'll bring along a flowerseller to liven-up the party.

Very cool project. Happy you and all the local coral farmers are part of WAMAS and provide the hobby with a source of cultured livestock.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait to arrange a VIP tour; and I'll bring along a flowerseller to liven-up the party.

Sounds like the next WAMAS open house party with plenty of frags...

What are your plans for backup electrical power?

Good question. Right now I have a 5500kW manual-start generator but as soon as I have enough livestock out there (and cashflow coming in) I am upgrading to a whole-house 200A unit with auto-transfer switch.

Awesome Justin. When you said you were building a green house, I had no idea you were planning something like this. That thing is amazing.

WOW. It is really amazing. I hope to be able to see this one day. I am lost for words. The time and effort put into this project had to be over whelming. I hope everything works out the way you want it to. Again when ever possible i would really like to see this in person.

Water circulation is managed with these three small pumps:

JMC_3818.jpg

Wow, I just learned something from this pic. It never occurred to me to rotate the volute on the pump so you can get the output facing another direction. Just one more 90 elbow I can eliminate from my system!

Holy crap.... i mean really....

Let me know if you ever need free maintenance labor. I'd be willing to help out in exchange for the experience to learn more.

Laura

• 2 weeks later...

Glad someone bumped this.

I saw this on R2R - truly a nice project!

I can't wait to see how things come along and production is going. That is pretty cool that it is all sunlit.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some livestock shots. Just got through a nasty cyano bloom, gotta love new tank syndrome on a 750 gallon tub. All coral pics taken under 6500k light, so many look a little brown. Overall I am happy with the color and growth after a little over a month in the sun.

Splitting anemone

P1010011.jpg

Pink & green mill

P1010012.jpg

Random efflo

P1010013.jpg

Another efflo

P1010014.jpg

Bali tricolor

P1010017.jpg

Sunset milli

P1010020.jpg

Blue and red cyphastrea donated for growout by Rik. Amazing how nice and rich the color is, even under very intense light, > 500 micromol PAR

P1010021.jpg

Neon sinularia, originally from Chip

P1010022.jpg

Red and green palythoa complete with aiptasia

P1010023.jpg

Tubs blue zoanthids also from Rik

P1010024.jpg

I am terrible with zoa names. Pretty ones though.

P1010025.jpg

Very fuzzy A. tenuis-y looking acro. The blue tips came shooting out after 3 weeks outside.

P1010026.jpg

Red table, from Rik as usual. I think this is the same as the Red Planet. I have a piece of that too, so I might put it on top of this coral and see if they fight.

P1010031.jpg

FTS

P1010035.jpg

My cleanup pals, the kids love to feed these two. The powder brown is from GaryL, the yellow from Blaze98

P1010038.jpg

Super green efflo from reefhunter, this thing is a growth champion, adding on an inch of new skirt since I put it outside. It is very green even under sunlight.

P1010047.jpg

I forget what this is but once I give it some 20k supplements I'm sure it will look great.

P1010048.jpg

Daddy's little helper!

P1010062.jpg

Rose anemones love intense light. Here is one under no shade, near 1200 micromol PAR. Actually no shade on left, the shade cloth shadow on the right.

P1010064.jpg

My new Rose Garden, this will be 60 sqft of nothing but a single genetic line of Roses. I hope to have over 1000 anemones in this tank eventually.

P1010069.jpg

I just loved how this one came out. The base is not actually green, that is just an artifact of the camera. 1200 micromol PAR.

P1010071.jpg